Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

NSAC Comments on Vaseline Controversy

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The sweat had not yet dried when accusations began to fly against welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre after his lopsided victory against B.J. Penn in the UFC 94 main event on Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Not long after his win, St. Pierre and his corner, including trainer Greg Jackson, came under fire for allegedly using a “greasing” agent between rounds. Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer on Monday confirmed improprieties had occurred in the champion’s corner after the first and second rounds.

“After the first round, one of my inspectors came to me and told me he thought he saw one of the cornermen -- I believe it was Phil Nurse … after putting Vaseline on [St. Pierre’s] face, he saw him rub his shoulders, and it appeared as though he might not have wiped off his hands,” Kizer said. “After the second round, we observed Mr. Jackson putting Vaseline on Mr. St. Pierre’s face and then putting his hand on his back.”

At that point, Kizer attempted to get Jackson’s attention from outside the cage.

“I don’t think he heard me because of all the noise in the arena, so I immediately walked into the Octagon myself -- I’ve probably done that two other times in my career -- and told him to take his hand off Mr. St. Pierre’s back,” he said. “We took a towel and wiped off his back. After the third round, we went in again and made sure his back and shoulders were wiped off to ensure a level playing field.”

Kizer informed Penn’s camp of the situation after the bout ended. Penn’s manager and brother, J.D., told Sherdog.com on Sunday that the Hawaiian’s camp planned to file a complaint with the NSAC, but, as of Monday afternoon, Kizer had not heard from Penn’s representatives. Penn has 10 days to file...

Full Story

Post #1   2/2/09 7:15:33PM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:
It seems as though things were just blown out of proportion. I doubt the Penn's will be filing anything given a few days to gain some perspective on the issue.

Post #2   2/2/09 7:30:32PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Chips:

Posted by fizzle

It seems as though things were just blown out of proportion. I doubt the Penn's will be filing anything given a few days to gain some perspective on the issue.

IMO, it doesn't sound like the commission would overturn the decision even if he did file, so it would probably tarnish BJ's image just as much as GSP's if he were to do so. I agree, it most likely won't happen.

Post #3   2/2/09 7:34:17PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
They wouldn't according to a Weekly article I just read unless this falls under the category of "collusion". That's one of only 4 things that can overturn a fight result in Nevada according to Keith Kizer-the others are scoring errors, referees misinterpreting and applying the rules, and of course failed drug tests.

Post #4   2/2/09 7:39:02PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
So here we have it that the NSAC was the one making the big deal out of this, not BJ's camp. They're the ones who spotted it and stepped up to do the right things. BJ's camp has not filed yet, either. Yet here we see all the people saying BJ was "crying"

Post #5   2/2/09 8:16:26PM   

mictlantechutli

MMA Regular

mictlantechutli Avatar

Career:660-408
Chips:
This whole situation is really screwed up. Unfortunately, it does take something away from Georges victory which is really a shame because he handled Penn like nobody ever has. But I will always question whether his ability to posture out of Penn's rubber guard was because of the vaseline on his back, or because his posture is just really that good. It's a freakin' shame, and I blame GSP's corner, not necessarily Jackson himself, but whomever this Phil Nurse guy is. Dude should be smarter than that. How many fighters has he cornered? Does he not know better than to wipe off his hands after rubbing vaseline all over a fighters face? Maybe that's his magical witch doctor power, freakin' greasing dudes up. It's a shame, it's a disgrace, and I feel bad that GSP is having to hear all this, he doesn't deserve it after the performance he put on. And you're right Jackelpoe, it's not BJ making the stink, it's the NSAC.

Last edited 2/2/09 10:46PM server time by mictlantechutli
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   2/2/09 10:45:46PM   

Hillbilly

Learning to Sprawl

Career:289-177
Chips:
I wonder if this was the same guy cornering Rashad when Tito was saying he was greased up.

Post #7   2/2/09 11:15:37PM   

Mackavelli

MMA Regular

Mackavelli Avatar

Career:1,439-744
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
Tito said forrest was greased up i dont remember him saying that about rashad.

Post #8   2/3/09 12:35:15AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by Mackavelli

Tito said forrest was greased up i dont remember him saying that about rashad.

Tito said Rashad's arms were greased in their fight, but I didn't really believe it because it's Tito.

But really, GSP passes BJ's guard easiest when he was in half guard. Pretty sure that wouldn't have anything to do with his back. All he had to do was pop his leg out. BJ got his ass kicked and I'm still basking in the joy

Post #9   2/3/09 1:15:02AM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,217-1,243
Chips:
I'm kinda hoping this all goes away before it becomes legend. If BJ doesn't file a complaint, it should be the end of the story.

Post #10   2/3/09 4:34:31PM