Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Quinton Jackson to determine Lyoto Machida's championship fate

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Count Lyoto Machida among the many who will watch closely the UFC 96 main event between Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Keith Jardine.

After all, Machida's potential title shot rests solely on how Jackson fares at the March 7 pay-per-view event in Columbus, Ohio.

Following Machida's stunning first-round TKO of previously undefeated Thiago Silva at Saturday's UFC 94 event, UFC President Dana White said the Jackson vs. Jardine fight will determine who gets the next light-heavyweight title shot.

If Jackson wins, he get an immediate chance to reclaim his belt, which he lost to Forrest Griffin in 2008. If Jardine wins, though, Machida will get the first shot at recently crowned champion Rashad Evans' belt. Evans won the belt with a third-round TKO of Griffin at UFC 92. (Jackson knocked out Wanderlei Silva at the same event to climb back into the title picture.)

"We don't have [Machida] scheduled to fight Rashad next," White said in the post-UFC 94 press conference. "But he's in the mix. He'll probably have a title shot before the end of the year."

Machida, long dogged for his propensity to take fights to decision, scored his most meaningful knockout in UFC 94's co-main event. Not only did the TKO prove his ability to finish fights (against a quality opponent), but he also picked up a $65,000 Fight of the Night bonus in the process.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   2/1/09 9:09:25AM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
that KO was phenominal, I think rashad is in trouble

Post #2   2/1/09 9:37:55AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,857-1,079
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

All of the LHWs are in trouble. Whoever faces Lyoto will be beaten.

Post #3   2/1/09 9:39:41AM   

cmb19932

Banned

cmb19932 Avatar

Career:199-169
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

even shogun

Post #4   2/1/09 10:10:44AM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Career:548-340
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
This is gay! How long does Rashad have to sit and wait?

Nobody derserves a shot more than Machida, even over Rampage. Rampage fights in March. Rashad should be fighting in May. Which makes sense for him to fight Machida, otherwise Rampage on fights with two months training.

I just think this is dumb, Machida should of gotten a title shot a while ago, even before Griffin did...He has been getting screwed....

Post #5   2/1/09 11:09:08AM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cmb19932

Posted by MMAcca

even shogun

That's funny, I agree, right now shogun wouldn't stand a chance vs Machida after watching him against Coleman. If he doesn't prepare better Chuck's going to knock him on his ass....

Post #6   2/1/09 11:11:09AM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,003-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
Seeing as I'm a Rampage fan and I think he deserved the title shot after destroying Wanderlei. I'm pretty happy. I think he has to win the Jardine fight in convincing fashion though. If it's some sort of decision I think Dana might give it to Machida.

Post #7   2/1/09 11:44:16AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Machida and Fitch don't get their just deserves, its ridiculous.

Post #8   2/1/09 11:55:35AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
At this point, Machida really has nothing left to prove. He's 6 for 6 and hasn't lost a single round. Most of the other top 205's are coming off losses or haven't performed well. I suppose if Luiz Cane wins, or the winner of Chuck Liddell and Shogun Rua could be the next matchup--but at this point Machida is much further up the ladder.

Quinton isn't even fighting until March, so he probably wouldn't be ready until June. That would be 6 months between fghts for Rashad. I can only assume the UFC is trying to hold onto this fight for UFC 100. Call me impatient, but I want to see a champ that defends the title more than twice a year.

Post #9   2/1/09 12:32:56PM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

At this point, Machida really has nothing left to prove. He's 6 for 6 and hasn't lost a single round. Most of the other top 205's are coming off losses or haven't performed well. I suppose if Luiz Cane wins, or the winner of Chuck Liddell and Shogun Rua could be the next matchup--but at this point Machida is much further up the ladder.

Quinton isn't even fighting until March, so he probably wouldn't be ready until June. That would be 6 months between fghts for Rashad. I can only assume the UFC is trying to hold onto this fight for UFC 100. Call me impatient, but I want to see a champ that defends the title more than twice a year.

You must of missed my post.

I said the same exact thing so I agree with you 100%

Post #10   2/1/09 1:08:12PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,821-1,143
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
so this would be another zero has to go fight for machita if he fights Rashad the way Forrest was working Rashad in the first fight would kind of be the same way Machita would fight him that would be a great fight

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #11   2/1/09 1:53:55PM   

GDK

MMA Regular

GDK Avatar

Career:1,682-1,164
Chips:
Not fair to Machida
Brock and Forrest get chances just by claiming they want to fight the best
Machida has fought and beat the best
3 former/current ufc belt holders
What more does Machida have to do
They'll probably give him Forrest just to prove himself one more time

Post #12   2/1/09 4:01:11PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
If i was a machida fan I would be quite frustrated. Machida has gone like 3 fights where they said "win this and you get a title shot" And they keep giving him the shaft. It would be very frustrating. I say still let jackson get the shot if he wins but give machida it first. then no matter who the victor between rashad and machida, they will fight jackson next.

Post #13   2/1/09 4:10:57PM   

Ulfhethnar6

MMA Regular

Ulfhethnar6 Avatar

Career:399-245
Camp: Colon Divers
Chips:

Posted by haggiswashere

If i was a machida fan I would be quite frustrated. Machida has gone like 3 fights where they said "win this and you get a title shot" And they keep giving him the shaft. It would be very frustrating. I say still let jackson get the shot if he wins but give machida it first. then no matter who the victor between rashad and machida, they will fight jackson next.

That makes the most sense to me. Rampage has only beaten Wanderli since losing, I don't know why he's even being considered above Machida. Evans shouldn't have to wait so long to get paid either.

Post #14   2/1/09 4:34:50PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,023-1,136
Chips:

Posted by cmb19932

Posted by MMAcca

even shogun

shogun has nothing on machida, silch, zip, nada, zeeeero

Last edited 2/1/09 4:42PM server time by D0wnUnd6e6r
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   2/1/09 4:42:25PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2