Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

One Fight....

Print  
Posted By Message

cheesy-maggot

MMA Regular

cheesy-maggot Avatar

Career:315-196
Camp: Camp Angio
Chips:
What's one fight that shows why you like a certain fighter?
For me it would be Torres/Maeda, such an exciting fight and shows how he doesn't want to lose a fight.

Ad: FanDuel: Play Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #1   12/22/08 2:08:25PM   

emfleek

Your Mom Is A Whore

emfleek Avatar

Career:3,180-1,718
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Jon Fitch

Watch him and be amazed at the heart he shows in his match against GSP.

Post #2   12/22/08 2:14:34PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Roger Huerta vs. Clay Guida pretty much sums up both guys for me. They're skilled, don't quit, and always seem to put on excellent matches.

Post #3   12/22/08 2:17:25PM   

cheesy-maggot

MMA Regular

cheesy-maggot Avatar

Career:315-196
Camp: Camp Angio
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Roger Huerta vs. Clay Guida pretty much sums up both guys for me. They're skilled, don't quit, and always seem to put on excellent matches.

This was going to be my choice because of Huertas amazing comeback, and he is one of my favorites(My avatar).

Post #4   12/22/08 2:26:55PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
gilbert yvel when knocks out the ref

made me an instant fan

Post #5   12/22/08 2:56:58PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Big Nog's victory over Bob Sapp. Overcoming adversity shows the heart of a fighter, and Big Nog's got it.

Post #6   12/22/08 3:01:05PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Dan Henderson vs Wandy Silva
Two of my favorite fighters giving it their all.

Post #7   12/22/08 3:31:16PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
Dan Henderson vs. Wanderlei Silva

Really solidified Hendo as a top tier fighter.

Post #8   12/22/08 6:32:10PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
Chuck vs Randy 2,3 Shows how crazy Chucks ko power and takedown defense is
Amir Sadollah vs Matt Brown showed Amirs stand up skill and versatility

Last edited 12/22/08 7:01PM server time by haggiswashere
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   12/22/08 7:01:12PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
Marcus Davis vs Paul Taylor- it showed Marcus' resilience and his warrior spirit that has made me into a huge fan of his.

Paul Taylor vs Chris Lytle- this fight just showed that Paul Taylor leaves it all on the line every time he gets into the cage. win or lose, you always find yourself out of your seat after a Paul Taylor fight.

Aoki vs Nagata- all i have to say about this fight is mounted gogoplata

Alvarez vs Hansen- if you have ever seen this fight, then you are lucky. Eddie proved he can fight at a ferocious pace, trade on the feet and have great grappling sense as to avoid submissions. i was entertained throughout the whole fight and was just enjoying the ride instead of analyzing it like i usually do.

Post #10   12/22/08 10:16:31PM   

bobbydoomocculta

Banned

bobbydoomocculta Avatar

Career:201-119
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

gilbert yvel when knocks out the ref

made me an instant fan

I prefered his yellowcard-fest against Donny Frye myself...

Tank Abbot the first time he pushed a guy's head into the cage until he tapped out... That's my kinda BJJ...

Seriously though... probably Akira Shoji vs Renzo Gracie all the way back at PRIDE 1...
that was Shoji's second fight... you could see his confidence grow as it went on and just knew he was gonna be something special...

Dustin hazelett vs. Josh Burkman... That armbar was bull shit... Mclovin's the man...

And Nogueira vs. Sapp... For obvious reasons...

Last edited 12/22/08 10:48PM server time by BobbyDoomOcculta
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Ad: FanDuel: Play Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #11   12/22/08 10:42:54PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:2,212-1,253
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Using my favorite rankings

1. Quinton Jackson - His first fight with Wanderlei, he came into this fight with half his cardio after a war with chuck and still it took 20 consecutive knees from wandy(!) to bring him down. His heart/Chin is absolutely amazing.

2. Bj Penn - HIs first fight with Matt Hughes, he comes into the fight as the much smaller fighter naturally(while still kinda out of shape) and just demolishes the guy like he had no business in the cage with him. Not to mention Matt Hughes in his prime seemed almost unbeatable. I think the trademark of BJ's career is that he can enter any fight on any given day and still have a chance at demolishing them in under a minute.

3. Lyoto Machida - Versus Tito Ortiz, its not the quantity of strikes landed, but the quality of the strikes being thrown. He spent the fight evading, out moving and tplaying mindgames with ortiz, but still at the end of every round he threw the one shot hed been saving for him, whether it was a Body slam into a crucifix position or the Knee Bam! right to the liver (said with bas voice), he absolutely outclassed his opponent in a match-up that was supposedly going to be a tough one for him, stylisticall.

4. Shinya Aoki - His second fight with JZ. Stylistically, cavalcante is probably the hardest match-up you could give Aoki in the LW division(Barring Bj). The guy has close to k-1 level striking, Fantastic BJJ, and a solid wrestling base to add onto his compact beastly frame, and yet Aoki still finds a way to use his BJJ game on an opponent he cant even take down.
Watching that fight was like watching Poetry in motion, and he did it all while wearing rainbow stretchy pants. Aoki is ******* ridiculous.

5. Fedor - There is no one fight. He just goes and outclasses everybody and has never said an ill word about anybody. Pure Class.

6. Mark Hunt - his fight with Ray Sefo. Nuff said, if you havent seen it look it up.

7. Nate Diaz - His fight with Pellegrino, anybody who understood just how dangerous a fighter Kurt is (before this match happened), knew that Nate was in trouble. Kurt had only lost to Bigger stronger top level grapplers in his career and came into the fight with the better stand-up, experience, and wrestling. he goes in and ravages diaz for the majority of the fight but just cannot put Nate away, then Bam he gets caught and the triangle choke is so deep Nate doesnt even have to pull Kurts head down to finish him. The highlight is diaz showboating to the crowd flipping the double bird to the sky with Kurt tapping simultaneously. If nate wasnt as naturally resilient theres no way he would have made it ouf of the first round. let alone come back and win the fight as decisively as he did.

8. Norifumi Yamamoto - Theres no single fight i can pick out for him, i just really like the kid. No pun intended.

9. Mauricio Rua - His fight with Arona, Shogun started the night with a fight against Alistair where he was getting handled and beaten up early on in the fight before coming back and finishing the overeem, then came into the final round against the best pure grappler in the world at that weight. Considering that Shogun's takedown defense isnt his strongest point and Arona has killer takedowns i thoroughly expected to see him get bossed up on the ground with no room to breathe... but no!

He starts the fight off with a 540 spin kick, takes arona down, gets reversed, applies an omaplata(on the best pure grappler at 205), escapes, then flying stomps his way back into guard after getting upkicked in the groin. gnps him for 10 secs, hops up & goes for the soccer kick
falls into the ropes, hits arona with 4-5 knees once he gets up, gets taken down, gets back up, and arona grabs him in desperation to try and finally inhale some air for the first time in the match.
45 seconds of stalling later on aronas behalf - Shogun with a beautiful trip and takes arona down AGAIN! He gets past Arona's guard and enters Side control to throw some mean elbows to the body then wait WTF? He transitions into North-south position as easily as if it were houston alexander he was on the ground with, throws some knees and then WTF(again) he mounted ricardo arona, who is this kid? Jumps up and tries to flying stomp arona again. Realizing arona's upkicks keep tagging him dead in the balls he throws a non flying stomp before dropping the final hammerfists that put out arona like a light.

Not calling anybody out, but I still to this day laugh out loud when someone says Shogun doesnt have good takedowns or that his bjj is "overrated".

10. Anderson Silva - "A ballet of destruction" is a more beautiful way of stating my fondness for silva, then any fight breakdown i could muster.

Post #12   12/23/08 5:32:36AM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
1. GSP - third fight vs. Matt Hughes, because it showed him beating a wrestler at his own game, something that turned me into a huge GSP fan.

2. Forrest Griffin - vs. Shogun, because it showed that exactly what he said is true, "there isn't a 205 fighter on the planet that you can put me in there with and I won't make it a fight."

3. Thiago Alves - vs. Lytle, ouch! those leg kicks!

4. Kenny Florian - vs. Sherk, because it shows that he won't quit

5. BJ Penn - vs. Gomi, showed that he is the best LW in the world

6. Jake Shields - vs. Thompson, solidified him as a legit top 3 WW

7. Eddie Alvarez - vs. Hansen, I think that this speaks for itself

8. Matt Hamill - vs. Bisping, because he clearly won that fight

9. Demian Maia - vs. Herman, because that was a sick mounted triangle

10. Dustin Hazelett - vs. McCrory, because I like armbars, and I haven't seen a better one in my life.

Post #13   12/23/08 11:35:14AM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:2,579-1,546
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The fight that stands out for me is Ken Flo's pure demolition of Joe Stephenson.

I wasnt shocked that Ken Flo won but i was shocked with the ease that he won with.

Pure Class.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #14   12/24/08 5:18:12PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:
wandy/jardine just shows what kind of beast wandy is. always wanting to please the crowd win or lose.

Post #15   12/24/08 7:02:09PM