Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Griffin over Sherk

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

handstrong

Learning to Sprawl

handstrong Avatar

Career:197-126
Chips:
Lot a lot of people picking Griffin in this fight. I'm going against the current and picking Griffin in a hard fought decision. He's got the strength and his standup just gets better and better. I think he'll win in the stand-up game against Sherk. I'm actually surprised that more people aren't picking him. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think this Griffin kid is focused and is heading toward contention for the belt. Talk to me people.

Post #1   9/13/08 12:19:05PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
But you've got to realize that everything Griffin is best at Sherk is better still. Griffin is basically a weaker less experienced Sherk. Theirs a reason the majority of people are picking Sherk man.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   9/13/08 12:34:27PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
The X-factor in this fight to me is whose striking is better? i think that Tyson has the ability to avoid the TD so if he has the striking advantage he can win this fight.

Post #3   9/13/08 12:38:34PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:
Even if he gets the better of the stand up, i think Sherk can still take him down, regardless of if Tyson can pop back up, if Sherk can sit him down repeatedly, he'll take the decision no problem.

Post #4   9/13/08 12:41:12PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

But you've got to realize that everything Griffin is best at Sherk is better still. Griffin is basically a weaker less experienced Sherk. Theirs a reason the majority of people are picking Sherk man.

Posted by bullettdodger

Even if he gets the better of the stand up, i think Sherk can still take him down, regardless of if Tyson can pop back up, if Sherk can sit him down repeatedly, he'll take the decision no problem.

The Army knows best

Post #5   9/13/08 12:57:30PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
Sherk is a beast. In the BJ fight it appeared he was avoiding the ground game, for obvious reasons. But he still looked very impressive. IMO, the speed of his punches, was unbelievable. He was crazy quick.

Griffin is a good wrestler, Sherk is better.
Griffin is strong, Sherk is stronger.
Griffin has good standup. Sherk is damn close if not equal, and way quicker.
Griffin has good cardio, nobody in mma compares to Sherk.
Jits, equal

Sherk UD

Post #6   9/13/08 1:54:17PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I have a hard time seeing anyone at lightweight beat sherk other than BJ. He's just way too strong for everyone in the division. The only people I see beating him are fighters with absolutely top notch JJ and above average standup.

Basically the fight is going to take place wherever Sherk wants it to, so you need a lethal BJJ game to make him think twice about taking you down, and a good standup game to complement it when he decides your BJJ is too good for him to try to wrestle you.

BJ is the only lightweight that fits the bill IMO. I think Sherk/BJ are going to have a kind of Anderson/Franklin dynamic where one is a pretty much unbeatable champion, and the other beats everyone except the champ. If BJ stays at lightweight that is. Otherwise I just see Sherk taking the belt back and resuming his reign of really boring terror.

Post #7   9/13/08 2:37:55PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,909-1,594
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I love Tyson Griffin, but i dont see him beating Sean Sherk. Sean Sherk is a little beast he is a much stronger man in my opinion. I think it will be a hard fought unanimous decision for Sean Sherk because Tyson Griffin wont just lay down for anybody.

Post #8   9/13/08 2:51:39PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
I know Tyson has alot of power in his hands but we have not seen it in awhile. The only way he gets this win is by KO'ing Sherk imo. I don't think its going to go this way myself as Sherk will probably ride out a UD and want to fight Kenny again or something so he get his belt back.

Post #9   9/13/08 2:57:52PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
Sherk's boxing is excellent except for the fact he has t-rex arms and his wrestling and strength are the best in the division. Combine that with the focus and motivation of him wanting to get that title back, and Sean Sherk is not someone anyone at LW should get in front of(unless your name is Baby Jay).

Sherk is going to pound Griffin for 3 rounds for the domiating UD.

Post #10   9/13/08 3:02:34PM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:
I don't think Griffin is stronger than Sherk at all and he definitely doesn't have Sherk's cardio. If Sherk wants a takedown he will get a takedown, plain and simple. Someone said something about how fast Sherk's hands are and I saw the same thing against BJ, although he lost his punches were SO QUICK.

Post #11   9/13/08 4:44:04PM   

WrestlersAssassin

MMA Regular

WrestlersAssassin Avatar

Career:153-86
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

The X-factor in this fight to me is whose striking is better? i think that Tyson has the ability to avoid the TD so if he has the striking advantage he can win this fight.

Remember the Tyson/Edgar fight though, Sherk's wrestling is ahead of them both, Penn is probably the only exception to this but the fight is going to end up where Sherk wants it unless Tyson can score a (T)KO on the feet or GnP, hes probably better than Sherk on the feet tho.

Post #12   9/13/08 9:51:46PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
The striking is pretty even, but Sherk's the better wrestler. Sherk is also probably the better conditioned fighter. I just don't think Griffen is better at any aspect of the game. They're both essentially carbon copies of one another, with Sherk being the more polished version.

Post #13   9/13/08 10:43:56PM   

The_Italian_Stallion

Standup Guy

The_Italian_Stallion Avatar

Career:588-346
Camp: Ultimate
Chips:
Look at the statistics (even though they rarely matter in a fight)

Griffen's one loss was to Frankie Edgar, who utilized a strong wrestling game to grind out a win.

Now Griffen is facing Sherk who is a better wrestler than Edgar. What left are we to assume but Sherk is going to grind out another win. Griffen isn't going to submit or knockout Sherk and with Sherk's superior wrestling I think he has it.

Now on the flip side of that argument, Sherk went out against BJ and totally f-ed himself by not having an even remotely good game plan. I can one hundred percent see Tyson winning if Sherk goes out there and tries to stand and trade with him or if he does anything but his huge slams and wrestling.

I still picked Sherk, I just hope he realizes how stupid he was for not playing to his strengths in the most important fight of his life (BJ)

Post #14   9/14/08 9:15:27AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I disagree, he did probably the smartest thing he could do against BJ. If Sherk had "played to his strengths" by trying to wrestle BJ he would also have been playing to BJ's strengths. BJs BJJ is second to none and much better than Sherk's wrestling. His standup is very good also, but it's not anywhere near the level his Jiu-Jitsu is at. If Sherk tried to take BJ down and wrestle him the fight would've been over even sooner by armbar/RNC. Trying to win the standup was his best shot.

I'm pretty sure he said even after losing the fight that he had a good plan, and I agree. Amazing BJJ is the best counter for a strong wrestler.

Last edited 9/14/08 10:40AM server time by aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   9/14/08 10:37:21AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2