Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Shouldn't the fantasy picks include at least some other major MMA organizations?

Print  
Posted By Message

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:
I've been thinking about this and I think that WEC and possibly EliteXC and/or K-1 should be added to the fantasy picks part of the game. WEC definitely.

Post #1   2/12/08 4:36:51PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:
Well, currently both of those orgs. you mentioned are in the secondary league for picks. I see what you are saying though, but that is how it is right now.

Post #2   2/12/08 4:40:31PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,969-1,003
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Man, they are all in the secondary league !!

You can pick for those events like the ufc event !!

Post #3   2/12/08 4:41:46PM   

npayant

I've gained some weight...

npayant Avatar

Career:1,859-934
Chips:
I was just thinking the same thing the other day.

I LOVE this site and check it everyday, but I've found myself wanting more...(I can't quite put my finger on just what I'd like to see...but something) It's awesome when there are a lot of events one right after the other, but when there is a month lay off...things start to get boring. I'm not exactly sure just adding the WEC or other orgs. to the main league would help...

I'm just going to keep brainstorming for some possible site "add ons"...

Anyone have any ideas??

Last edited 2/12/08 4:44PM server time by npayant
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   2/12/08 4:44:19PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Man, they are all in the secondary league !!

You can pick for those events like the ufc event !!

Easy killer, he is probably thinking like npayant. The layoffs are kind of a downer for the primary league, that is why I would like to see other orgs. in the primary league as well. However, there is a fine line that has to be drawn to decide which orgs. should be added to the primary league and vice versa.

EDIT: This has been brought up before, yet I think we do need to add another organization to the primary league. It would have to happen next season though, because we can't change the rules during a current season.

Last edited 2/12/08 4:53PM server time by wolfman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   2/12/08 4:51:11PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by npayant

I was just thinking the same thing the other day.

I LOVE this site and check it everyday, but I've found myself wanting more...(I can't quite put my finger on just what I'd like to see...but something) It's awesome when there are a lot of events one right after the other, but when there is a month lay off...things start to get boring. I'm not exactly sure just adding the WEC or other orgs. to the main league would help...

I'm just going to keep brainstorming for some possible site "add ons"...

Anyone have any ideas??

I think they will eventually add another org or two to the primary fantasy picks, but it is pretty difficult to determine what the future holds for most of the other orgs at this time. This year should tell us a lot.

Post #6   2/12/08 4:51:51PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
I think WEC is the best suited candidate, partly because it's got the UFC backing but it also seems to be the closest to a legit mainstream organization. EliteXC should get consideration farther down the road if it can get a bit more legit and score some more big-name talent.

Post #7   2/12/08 5:49:54PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,409-1,229
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

I think WEC is the best suited candidate, partly because it's got the UFC backing but it also seems to be the closest to a legit mainstream organization. EliteXC should get consideration farther down the road if it can get a bit more legit and score some more big-name talent.

I agree, with a tv deal on a network that reaches most homes, WEC would be the best choice if one were to move up from the Secondary League.

Post #8   2/12/08 5:54:29PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I think it is still too early for any of these orgs to make it to the main page but maybe someday.

Post #9   2/12/08 6:16:46PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Its been posted before, but here are the main concerns with adding an organization to the Primary Leagues.

1. Recognizable fighters. An MMA fan will know who 95% of the guys fighting in UFC are, which makes it more fun to pick fights and allows for intelligent debate on our forums. At the moment, no other organizations can consistantly put on cards at that level.

2. Reliable fight cards. Nothing pisses me off more than taking the time to research two fighters, making a decision, and then having the fight be scraped. It happens everywhere, but a professional organization will have their card posted well in advance, and have that card remain intact up until the event.

Some organizations fail in one or both of these catagories, and with it be a turbulant time in MMA right now, its hard to see who will emerge with quality shows, and top name fighters. Once an org can meet both of the above criteria time and again, we'll put them in the primary. Until then, we've go the secondary league to fill the gap between UFC shows.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #10   2/13/08 1:48:07AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Not to mention the quality of the fighters. The UFC and formely Pride Consistently put forth quality fighters. K-1 Hero's, Bodog, and Elite XC have yet to do that for every card they do.

If World Victory Road and M-1 can consistently put forth decent cards they should make it up there.
The Idea Behind the Primary league is that we want Orgs that are going to be around for a while and put forth good quality fights. This is also they way it is for the secondary league and the Reason Bodog has yet to be featured there.
1-2 recognizeable names on a card of 20 fighters isn't what we want.

Post #11   2/13/08 7:58:05AM   

snakeman88

American Top Team

Career:688-329
Chips:
WEC isn't ready quite yet.. Too many unknown fighters. I think wec is at least a year away

Post #12   2/14/08 8:24:34PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Chips:
K-1 Dreams could shape up to be a suitable organization. Aoki vs. GZ is one of the best main events ive seen in years. If the rest of the card follows suit (which is a possiblity with the amount of fighters they have/can get) it should be the forerunner, instead of WEC

Post #13   2/14/08 8:34:18PM