Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

need help putting on weight

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Juggernaut97

Learning to Sprawl

Juggernaut97 Avatar

Career:54-55
Chips:
i know this subject has probably been beaten to death but i wanted to see if yall could offer some tips. i am 20 years old 6' and i am usually between 145-150, in my eyes that really too skinny for someone of my height. i am looking to get around 160-165, i train monday through thursday 2 hours a night and i was wondering if all the cardio in the training is hurting me or what and also i am a student in college so the food selection we have isn't that great, the food is usually bad and they don't give you a lot of it to start out with, so i can only eat but so much food from there, i have been taking muscle milk regularly and that has helped out some but i feel i have hit a wall with that also because i am seeing no more gains from it. i need some advice, what should i do??

Post #1   2/7/08 12:54:41PM   

StevenSeagal

Banned

Career:182-96
Chips:

Posted by Juggernaut97

i know this subject has probably been beaten to death but i wanted to see if yall could offer some tips. i am 20 years old 6' and i am usually between 145-150, in my eyes that really too skinny for someone of my height. i am looking to get around 160-165, i train monday through thursday 2 hours a night and i was wondering if all the cardio in the training is hurting me or what and also i am a student in college so the food selection we have isn't that great, the food is usually bad and they don't give you a lot of it to start out with, so i can only eat but so much food from there, i have been taking muscle milk regularly and that has helped out some but i feel i have hit a wall with that also because i am seeing no more gains from it. i need some advice, what should i do??

4-5 meals a day like all should have, Just bump up your complex carb intake, and protein. Find a website where you can accurately measure your Basil Metabolism. Then add in all the cardio you to to the equation and make sure that there is a surplus of 500 cals or more each day from that whole big equation. It basically just comes down to eating more complex carbs and bump up the protein. Its not fun, but if you wanna put on solid weight ur diet has to take a priority. The college sceen and hard core training has a direct correlation as to why you are slimmer than you want to be. Id look into a proper weight gainer rather than a Muscle Milk., unless they already have high carbs (i forget).... After your training, youll need a dextrose and protein source. That is a given or you will start to canibalize your muscles since you slim to begin with. Watch excessive cardio days that arent backed up by proper nutrition. That is the main issue. Hope it helps man, let me know if you have any more questions

Post #2   2/7/08 1:39:52PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
eat eat eat, lift lift lift

Post #3   2/7/08 2:56:19PM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,554-951
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
I know this is scientific as a caveman, but it's also true and missed by most people:

If you want to gain weight and can't with your current lifestyle, you'll have to eat even when you're not hungry. Are you forcing yourself to eat extra helpings or meals?

(and if you want to lose weight and can't with your current lifestyle, you can't eat every time you're hungry.)

Post #4   2/7/08 3:22:06PM   

Juggernaut97

Learning to Sprawl

Juggernaut97 Avatar

Chips:
thanks for all the help guys, what kind of weight gainer would you recommend?? also with the lifting i have been told that if you want to put on weight that you do high weight with low reps....is that what i need to be doing???

Post #5   2/7/08 4:15:50PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
Yes. Heavy weight, low reps, lots and lots of food. Creatine would help you quite a bit as well.

Post #6   2/7/08 4:35:06PM   

StevenSeagal

Banned

Career:182-96
Chips:

Posted by Juggernaut97

thanks for all the help guys, what kind of weight gainer would you recommend?? also with the lifting i have been told that if you want to put on weight that you do high weight with low reps....is that what i need to be doing???

no prob man. Any weight gainer is fine. look at the back and see what is best bang for your buck.

Post #7   2/7/08 7:36:37PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Bananas in large quantities help you put on bulk as well. They're reasonablly cheap if you grab the bags of ripe bananas at the store, easy to transport and are pretty damn good. Eating peanut butter with a spoon is another way to put on weight.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #8   2/8/08 2:02:16AM   

atlas777

Standup Guy

atlas777 Avatar

Career:577-375
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
Lots of eating (5-6 meals a day) lots of lifting and lots of protien

Post #9   2/8/08 11:37:27AM   

CactusBob

MMA Regular

CactusBob Avatar

Career:28-12
Chips:

Posted by Juggernaut97

Being that I am a college student as well, with a similar build, perhaps I can help you out. If you use meal plans and are on a budget for food, I can help. A great way to "trick" you body to building more wieght is to throw in an extra workout or skip one. Your body will actually get used to a steady workout schedule and thus, you run into a wall. Fooling your body might just give you that extra progress. Also, eat a high carb mean for breakfast. In simplest form, this sets your body up in the morning to run on carbs, and does promote fat build up. Since you will be working out, this fat will help your body recover and build muscle. If your budget allows, have a snack immediatly before bed, like a cookie, as this will be turned into fat overnight, again helping your body to recover from a workout.
These are just some cheap or free tips, I hope they are of some use to you

Post #10   2/9/08 5:14:49PM   

Juggernaut97

Learning to Sprawl

Juggernaut97 Avatar

Chips:
thanks for all the help and tips guys, i will be sure to try them all out to see what gives me the best results

Post #11   2/10/08 12:57:23AM   

KINGJAMES

FORUM BANNED

KINGJAMES Avatar

Career:187-127
Chips:
i suggest lifting every other day instead of 4 days in a row. if you can, try to weigh yourself each morning. base your protein intake on the what the scale says. so if you weigh 160lbs then you need 160g of protein that day. its hard to get that much protein from a normal diet of meat so i suggest protein bars and powders. always keep some fruit with you because the carbs in fruit burn slowly and thus provide you with a long lasting fuel supply and they always have the vitamins that your body needs after a hard workout. dont shy away from veggies either. another thing to consider is that you should never repeat the same workout for more than three weeks; change it up and keep your body guessing, that way you wont plateau and your risk for injury will decrease.

when you lift weights make sure you work your whole body. you are way too thin to work on one part of your body. so your should do weight training from head to toe even your neck. if you have time visit this site. and remember to keep eating even if you arent hungry 5-6 times daily and drink plenty of water.

Last edited 2/17/08 1:20PM server time by KINGJAMES
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   2/17/08 1:19:04PM   

snakeman88

American Top Team

Career:688-329
Chips:
I have the same body type as you juggernaut and i finally got myself to put on weight this past 8 months. Last april i was 5'11" and 146 pounds. I started eating at least 5000 calories and 300 g protein a day and lifting heavy weight low reps as stickan said. I grew to 160 pounds by december then hit a plateau. I started taking creatine and got over that plateu and i now weigh 173. Just remember eat a TON

Post #13   2/19/08 12:50:15PM   

gravy13

Standup Guy

gravy13 Avatar

Career:347-224
Chips:

Posted by Juggernaut97

Try this stuff- http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/xplode.html

It's like a pre-workout drink. I took some just before a run the other day and I planned on running 4 miles, I ended up running 10 miles. It will give you crazy energy for lifting. Therefore, you gain more weight in muscle. IMO, it's works very well.

Post #14   2/24/08 2:44:57PM   

Juggernaut97

Learning to Sprawl

Juggernaut97 Avatar

Chips:
thanks for all the info guys, i am hoping to bulk up and throw some more weight on over this summer

Post #15   2/24/08 4:57:31PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2