Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Lightweight Division: Aftermath of the TUF Finale

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
A good article on the possibilities for Roger Huerta, Clay Guida, and Mac Danzig after the TUF Finale performances. Namely, it talks about possible opponents for Huerta in the future, Clay Guida possibly heading to 145 or helping WEC with some star power and name recognition, and Mac Danzig's chances in the Lightweight division.

LINK

Last edited 1/8/08 2:19PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   12/12/07 1:38:34PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,787-1,542
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Good article.

Post #2   12/12/07 2:03:40PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
Good read but, I'm not willing to agree with the overall thoughts on opponants for Huerta. I really can't believe it said that he would pound Fisher out. Out of 20 plus fights he has been ko'd by only Franca who is way more heavy handed the Huerta. I believe Huerta could win that fight by ud or sub but not ko fisher would be good test to give more validity to Huerta's chin, it would deffinately be tested if it stayed standing. I think Edgar and Griffin would easily be able to take Huerta down, because Guida showed a good wrestler can do it at will. Sanchez will be a beast at lw and would give Huerta more then he could handle. I give all the credit in the world to Huerta for having the heart to hang in there after getting rocked and landing that big knee in the end then subbing Guida out when heabsolutley needed to. I am ready to see Huerta fight the upper fighters in the class and see what he can really offer against stiff competition. I also feel bad for Guida having such an awesome performance taking away in the end, but that's fighting. It would be a shame for him to leave the ufc, they should inlist their own 145 weight class. Just my thoughts they really don't mean much but o'well.

Post #3   12/12/07 3:05:10PM   

focusrssvt

Learning to Sprawl

focusrssvt Avatar

Career:694-432
Camp: Florida top team
Chips:
I personally think all that Guida- Huerta fight did was prove Huerta isn't all he's cracked up to be. I mean if Guida hadn't of lost his wind he would have man handled Huerta in the 3rd round the same wayhe did in 1 and 2.

Post #4   12/12/07 3:31:17PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by focusrssvt

I personally think all that Guida- Huerta fight did was prove Huerta isn't all he's cracked up to be. I mean if Guida hadn't of lost his wind he would have man handled Huerta in the 3rd round the same wayhe did in 1 and 2.

agreed, i saw the that too, i think he needs so more time before starts gunnin for the top guys

Post #5   12/12/07 3:36:20PM   

Trench777

MMA Regular

Trench777 Avatar

Career:171-141
Chips:
!!!

Guida is a freaking beast. I absolutely love seeing this guy fight (even when he loses). I just find his energy level & his 15 minutes of bringing it to be hella entertaining.

Just my opinion.

T777

Post #6   12/12/07 4:24:21PM   

Sinatra

Learning to Sprawl

Sinatra Avatar

Career:2,084-1,348
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
I love it.... Guida should just cut ten more lbs., huh?

Post #7   12/12/07 5:18:05PM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Career:548-340
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
Huerta vs Florian is the best fight for him next.. IMO

Clay Guida would be a sweet 145 although I will miss him a lot....otherwise Guida vs Spencer Fisher would be sweet! And both want redemption...

Mac Danzig instantly should be a contender, he has more experience than most of the fighters in the division....

Danzig vs. Sam Stout to start, then right to Frank Edgar or Tyson Griffin or Tavares...NO JOKE....He is the real deal...Pride obviously thought he was good enough to fight Sakuri so lets get him going....He dominated a heavior TUF so...

So...

Penn vs Stevenson : winner fights Sherk

Huerta vs. Florian

Guida vs Fisher

Griffin vs Sanchez

Edgar vs Tavares

Lauzon vs Alvin Robinson(after he smokes Nate Diaz)

This division seems stacked and these would be great fights.....

Last edited 12/12/07 5:26PM server time by StevieC

Post #8   12/12/07 5:22:02PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
I hate the idea of a fighter cutting weight to have a better advantage in a lower weight class.. i know that its often legitimate, like with pulver, or vera going to lhw, penn fighting at 155, henderson goin down.. but some of these fighters seem to be killin themselves over cutting weight so they can make that class.. like sherk.. like diego probably will be.. and now guida goin down another 10lbs. If guida cleaned up his standup game he would be a serious threat to anyone in 155. His wrestling is top notch, his transitions are better than anyones in mma that i've seen.. the doode scrambles like noones business, he's got a chin, and some serious cardio. If guida has the striking skills of someone like stout or fisher, think of how lopsided the huerta fight would've been.

I agree that danzig shouldnt be put through a bunch of no name fighters first, he's got way too much experience for that, but it might be a good idea to put him through a noncontender fighter first so he can get his bearings. After that, throw him into someone around the ufc's top10-15

Guida vs fisher is a horrible idea =P
look at what the last wrestler did to him.. until we have proof that his td defense is respectable, he cant matchup against a wrestler or we're gonna get another boring decision.

I really wanna see huerta vs florian and it'll probably happen =D

Post #9   12/12/07 6:04:55PM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Career:548-340
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

I hate the idea of a fighter cutting weight to have a better advantage in a lower weight class.. i know that its often legitimate, like with pulver, or vera going to lhw, penn fighting at 155, henderson goin down.. but some of these fighters seem to be killin themselves over cutting weight so they can make that class.. like sherk.. like diego probably will be.. and now guida goin down another 10lbs. If guida cleaned up his standup game he would be a serious threat to anyone in 155. His wrestling is top notch, his transitions are better than anyones in mma that i've seen.. the doode scrambles like noones business, he's got a chin, and some serious cardio. If guida has the striking skills of someone like stout or fisher, think of how lopsided the huerta fight would've been.

I agree that danzig shouldnt be put through a bunch of no name fighters first, he's got way too much experience for that, but it might be a good idea to put him through a noncontender fighter first so he can get his bearings. After that, throw him into someone around the ufc's top10-15

look at what the last wrestler did to him.. until we have proof that his td defense is respectable, he cant matchup against a wrestler or we're gonna get another boring decision.

I don't think Guida/Fisher would be that bad, Fisher always comes back from a loss strong.....although I would pick Guida to win

Sherk almost has to drop weight because of his height. He could fight middleweight if he wanted. He walks around at almost 190 pounds. He has no choice because he is only 5'6"

Post #10   12/12/07 6:37:58PM   

mutosufan

MMA Regular

Career:33-26
Chips:

Posted by focusrssvt

Manhandled in the 1st round? Laughable

Guida:

-Had two takedowns - one was a slam, very nice
-Took Huerta's back and put in both hooks
-When they both fell (neither got the takedown, Huerta cameout on top. Guida reversed it and took sidecontrol
- Illegal knee

Huerta:

-Had two reversals from his back
-Had a solid knee
-Nice high kick
-Went for a knee bar
-Tried for another sub, I tihnk it was a kimura
-Took Guida's back and was going for a kimura
-Outstruck Guida the entire round

And Huerta was dominted?

Post #11   12/12/07 6:49:46PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
Guida's stand-up was clearly lacking in this fight. He overwhelmed Huerta with takedowns in the first two rounds but could not finish and Huerta's cardio was at least as good as Guida's.

I love Clay Guida, but he needs to seriously work on his stand-up. He's not afraid to throw, and he's not afraid to give up position to go for submissions, which already makes me like him better than Sherk. Right now I think he's using stand-up only to set up takedowns. That might work in lower leagues, but in the UFC he must improve his stand-up game.

Huerta really impressed me in this fight. His cardio looked top notch, his ground game looked top notch, and his striking was very good. I was not a believer before, but after his performance in that fight i can see why people go crazy over him.

Im excited to see both of these guys fight in the UFC again, and maybe a rematch in a year or so.

Post #12   12/12/07 8:32:57PM   

mutosufan

MMA Regular

Career:33-26
Chips:
My question about Guida is how detrimental was this loss to his psyche? I think he went into this fight "knowing" he would win. That Huerta wasnt close to his skill level. And with him being 2-2 in the UFC that he could not go to 2-3. So, where we he be mentally with his game and this sport? You can only come out of that lcoker room jumping around like a madman so often and not achieve the results that you want and expect.

Post #13   12/12/07 9:28:24PM   

chokesetterjake

MMA Regular

chokesetterjake Avatar

Career:1,757-1,109
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

QUOTE]:
YO SMART GUY, ITS ABOUT BEING THE BEST THAT YOU CAN BE!! if 90% of the fighters are cutting down, then why would it be stupid for the next guy to do it? to fight at or around your natural weight is more of a show off move than anything. to cut down is the normal thing to do, or at least this is how wrestling works. its seems to be a good idea since mma is following along, i dont know though.
if you look at all the fighters that have fought in two weight classes you might notice that they are really GOOD!! or they suck and they want to win a fight
[/banghead:

Last edited 12/12/07 11:01PM server time by chokesetterjake

Post #14   12/12/07 11:00:40PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:

Posted by mutosufan

Posted by focusrssvt

Manhandled in the 1st round? Laughable

Guida:

-Had two takedowns - one was a slam, very nice
-Took Huerta's back and put in both hooks
-When they both fell (neither got the takedown, Huerta cameout on top. Guida reversed it and took sidecontrol
- Illegal knee

Huerta:

-Had two reversals from his back
-Had a solid knee
-Nice high kick
-Went for a knee bar
-Tried for another sub, I tihnk it was a kimura
-Took Guida's back and was going for a kimura
-Outstruck Guida the entire round

And Huerta was dominted?

Ha ha the fact that you think that is laughable makes me think you need to find a sense of humor. Guida absolutely dominated this fight......I dont know why everyone is criticizing his striking, HE OUT STRUCK huerta by far....the bottom line is that he was handling Huerta easily unitl he got caught with that knee, that is the only solid strike that landed the for Huerta the whole fight! I will be bummed as hell if Guida drops down to 145, I love seeing him fight.

Post #15   12/13/07 12:06:25AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2