Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Should MMA be an olympic sport?

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
I was thinking about this the other day when i was noticing the different nationalities of certain fighters. many countries are represented, some more than others (Brazil, USA) but there are still a lot of fighters who represent many different nations. now, i know it would interfere with fighter rankings and separate promotions might not allow their fighters to participate (*cough* UFC *cough*) but i think it would be a good idea. i am not suggesting it should be like the IFL because i don't think a team-based MMA would be proper to represent it world wide. i suggest it would be similar to the wrestling events in that we have 5 (or 6) weight classes and different fighters from different countries in each weight class. now i am sure Brazil and USA would dominate most of the classes in the beginning, but it would promote MMA to a new level and would attract fighters from new nations and might even find undiscovered talent. anyway weigh in on this topic if you have an opinion and any feedback is appreciated.

Post #1   11/30/07 1:22:26PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

I was thinking about this the other day when i was noticing the different nationalities of certain fighters. many countries are represented, some more than others (Brazil, USA) but there are still a lot of fighters who represent many different nations. now, i know it would interfere with fighter rankings and separate promotions might not allow their fighters to participate (*cough* UFC *cough*) but i think it would be a good idea. i am not suggesting it should be like the IFL because i don't think a team-based MMA would be proper to represent it world wide. i suggest it would be similar to the wrestling events in that we have 5 (or 6) weight classes and different fighters from different countries in each weight class. now i am sure Brazil and USA would dominate most of the classes in the beginning, but it would promote MMA to a new level and would attract fighters from new nations and might even find undiscovered talent. anyway weigh in on this topic if you have an opinion and any feedback is appreciated.

It would be great exposure, the only problem I could see arising would be the Pro/Amateur thing. The Olympic committees are strict, and if youve ever made money off the sport, you are ineligible... May cause a problem, as everyone that is working hard at it has probably fought pro already.

Sure would be good for the sport though...

Post #2   11/30/07 1:32:36PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,969-1,003
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Yeah, well, the chance to see it happen in the next 10 years are close to 0 but lets say that in 2030 if the sport is growing up like we expect, a Canadian will probably win the first gold medal of MMA in the Olympic !! lol

i desagree about the USA will dominate, we will beat you like in Hockey easely !!

go, canada !!

Post #3   11/30/07 1:33:05PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by rcg916

[...]the only problem I could see arising would be the Pro/Amateur thing. The Olympic committees are strict, and if youve ever made money off the sport, you are ineligible...

That's not true anymore. Hasn't been for a while, actually.

EDIT: Different sports have different qualification criteria. I know that Men's Soccer is mostly U-23 players, but each team is allowed 2-3 overage players. Women's Soccer is the full international teams (the Olympics is actually one of the two major women's soccer tournaments, along with the World Cup).

Last edited 11/30/07 1:45PM server time by AchillesHeel
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   11/30/07 1:44:18PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,848-1,057
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by rcg916

[...]the only problem I could see arising would be the Pro/Amateur thing. The Olympic committees are strict, and if youve ever made money off the sport, you are ineligible...

EDIT: Different sports have different qualification criteria. I know that Men's Soccer is mostly U-23 players, but each team is allowed 2-3 overage players. Women's Soccer is the full international teams (the Olympics is actually one of the two major women's soccer tournaments, along with the World Cup).

Amatuer status is still important in some of the sports, most notably boxing. My guess is that if MMA were to be part of the olympics it would be similar to boxing and amatuer status would be required.

Post #5   11/30/07 1:48:57PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by rcg916

Guess we are going to disagree, because there was a guy from my hometown in the last Olympics that made the team (boxing), but was removed from the Competition for having won a small purse in a fight at a local show. It was all over local news/papers. So, it may not be the case for all sports, but Im telling you first hand that it happened in 2004. So, unless it has drastically changed since 2004, then there are still limits in place for some sports. (Cant say with all, but for sure with Boxing)...

Post #6   11/30/07 1:49:09PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,969-1,003
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Well, the professional hochey players are now allowed in olympics, the professional tennis player too, the rules of amateur only as been disable for many sport and i think that by the time MMA will make the olympics, the pro will be allowed everywhere.

Post #7   11/30/07 1:58:42PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
well if the problem is that pro mma fighters wont be allowed in, then why not have an independent cup such as the world cup in soccer or the world baseball classic in baseball and just have a world cup for mma. if the Olympic committee wont allow it, then i say start an independent tournament. either way it accomplishes the same task, but the Olympics would be a better venue for the sport to be completely mainstream in terms of world wide popularity or at least world wide acknowledgment that it exists as a sport.

Post #8   11/30/07 2:19:27PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

well if the problem is that pro mma fighters wont be allowed in, then why not have an independent cup such as the world cup in soccer or the world baseball classic in baseball and just have a world cup for mma. if the Olympic committee wont allow it, then i say start an independent tournament. either way it accomplishes the same task, but the Olympics would be a better venue for the sport to be completely mainstream in terms of world wide popularity or at least world wide acknowledgment that it exists as a sport.

I think it would maybe alter the way guys approach their career, like waiting for the Olympics to debut, and then sign after a good showing there.

Its too popular to avoid at least being considered, in my opinion. I, for one, would love to see it. Amateur competiton still has the fire that big amounts of money seem to put out later in professional careers.

Posted by tuvok500

Well, the professional hochey players are now allowed in olympics, the professional tennis player too, the rules of amateur only as been disable for many sport and i think that by the time MMA will make the olympics, the pro will be allowed everywhere.

Adding pros has definitely sparked a lot more interest in the Olympics, thats for sure. I think youre right, its just a matter of time before the limits will be lifted altogether, if they arent already.

Props to the threadstarter, best original/interesting new thread in a while!

Last edited 11/30/07 2:34PM server time by rcg916
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #9   11/30/07 2:29:50PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:

Posted by rcg916

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by rcg916

Guess we are going to disagree, because there was a guy from my hometown in the last Olympics that made the team (boxing), but was removed from the Competition for having won a small purse in a fight at a local show. It was all over local news/papers. So, it may not be the case for all sports, but Im telling you first hand that it happened in 2004. So, unless it has drastically changed since 2004, then there are still limits in place for some sports. (Cant say with all, but for sure with Boxing)...

Right, like I said, it's different for different sports. And since MMA currently has no Olympic qualification rules, we can't say that pros would be barred from participating.

Post #10   11/30/07 3:20:51PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by rcg916

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by rcg916

Right, like I said, it's different for different sports. And since MMA currently has no Olympic qualification rules, we can't say that pros would be barred from participating.

You edited that while I was posting, so I was referring to your ORIGINAL post.

And on the same note, we cant say that they wouldnt be barred either, right?

*someone's feeling a little argumentative today*

Post #11   11/30/07 3:24:29PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i think that as long as boxing and judo, and the other "core" sports involved in mma are olympic sports we wont see MMA itself be in the olympics. the pro/am thing is really not an issue anymore as many of the atheltes in some olympic sports are pros, basketball being the most notable. id like to see it, but i think the odds are slim to none.

Post #12   11/30/07 3:26:12PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:
I never did answer the question: As things are, the only purpose I can see to having MMA in the Olympics would be cross-promotion matchups. That is, maybe we could see Fedor-v-Couture or Faber-v-Yamamoto. Other than that, I don't see that Olympic MMA adds anything to the sport. And there aren't a whole ton of matchups that we couldn't see anyway.

Post #13   11/30/07 4:06:09PM   

CactusBob

MMA Regular

CactusBob Avatar

Career:28-12
Chips:
I think there is too much opposition to MMA still for the IOC to step up and accept it. As liberal as the IOC is, I think there will need to be financial success with some type of internation world cup for MMA before they try to get in on the marketing opportunity.
As to whether or not MMA belongs, this forum will show a slight bias in that answer.

Post #14   11/30/07 4:47:01PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,217-1,243
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
lol - Dana would never allow UFC fighters in the Olympics!

I'd be happy if they even showed Olympic Judo or wrestling in the USA - all we ever get is Gymnastics, swimming, and track and field. Even if they had Olympic MMA we'd never see it here in the states.

Good idea though!!!

Post #15   11/30/07 5:10:10PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3