Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

GSP Fans - How will he win? (POLL)

Print  
How will GSP win fairly squarely?
KO/TKO 1st RD 7 9%
KO/TKO 2nd RD 28 37%
KO/TKO 3rd RD 21 28%
KO/TKO 4th or 5th RD 6 8%
GSP wins by SUBMISSION 4 5%
GSP wins a DECISION 9 12%
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
Its a good one to debate cos although it seems an average 80% are picking GSP to win most of them are saying another early TKO win, but will it be closer than the last fight? can GSP properly KO Hughes? Will he GnP him to a finish? Could he sub Hughes? Or will it go to a decision?

You Hughes fans can go and make your own thread

EDIT - Heres a nice example of GSP's takedown defence

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1
Photo Attachment 2
Photo Attachment 3
Photo Attachment 4

Last edited 11/28/07 2:57PM server time by CornishMMA
Edit note/reason: ADDING GIFS
2 total post edits

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #1   11/26/07 1:09:56PM   

scoozna

10 Year Service Award Winner

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,952-1,717
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think Hughes will be a little smarter this time, and look for takedowns right from the start. GSP will spend the first round adjusting.

In round 2, GSP will get a little more aggressive and unload.

Honestly - i see this as 50/50 for either fighter, but it's more fun to take a side.

Post #2   11/26/07 1:27:58PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
GSP by Unanimous Decision. Just because Hughes will be smart enough and not stand with GSP for a second without thinking takedown. I think Matt will get the takedowns but I think GSP will be more active on his back throwing elbows and working a lot more on sweeps and sub attempts and will keep Matt from using GNP and make it look like LNP so Big John stands it up where GSP will own the stand up again. But I still don't think Matt gets stopped because he'll be smarter and respect GSP's talent and not be cocky like last time just because he already beat the guy WHICH was very controversial if you ask me.

GSP will win but Hughes ain't going down without a fight

Last edited 11/26/07 1:36PM server time by Natedawgtham
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #3   11/26/07 1:34:43PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,573-1,539
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Careful now, Pride goeth before a fall....

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #4   11/26/07 1:53:07PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Chips:
Did Koscheck shoot on GSP much? I only remember 2/3, think 1 was successfull, but i honestly think Hughes takedown shots are slower and less powerfull than Koschecks, Matt had real trouble getting BJ down and while he took Lytle down no probs GSP has an amazing sprawl, i may regret saying this but at the moment i really down see Hughes getting even 1 single takedown, and hey even if he does he wont finish GSP

Im so confident in this fight, at the mo im leaning towards Hughes putting up a better fight and lasting longer than he did before, but he would be hard pushed to survive 25 minutes of GSP sprawling and brawling without getting finished

Post #5   11/26/07 3:29:40PM   

allmotormark

MMA Regular

allmotormark Avatar

Career:1,035-549
Chips:
even though i think gsp will win i think this may go to a decision because gsp looked good in the kos fight but looked a little tentative to unload shots, if he is with matt this may be a boring fight becuase most of matt hughs fights are slow unless the other guy can open up and throw some punches and kicks

Post #6   11/26/07 4:20:08PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:360-191
Chips:
I am still shocked so many people have picked GSP that there is an underdog bonus. Don't get me wrong, GSP is amazing, but Hughes is no joke and I think that goes without saying.

The only knock on Hughes really is the game has sort of passed him up. He is a one-dimensional ground and pounder, and his subs and striking are behind the times. But he has proven again and again that his raw physical strength and presence is enough to overwhelm even the best competition.

I still haven't picked a winner, but I am leaning towards Hughes in this one. I think he has probably worked very hard on submission defense, and GSP isn't as good as Serra at ju-jitsu, so that should help.

His standup will probably be improved from working with Lawler and even if he cant score a takedown, I think when GSP shoots, Hughes can flip it and take top position that way.

I haven't made a final decision but my gut right now is saying Hughes via 3rd round GnP.

Post #7   11/26/07 4:41:41PM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Career:363-219
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

I am still shocked so many people have picked GSP that there is an underdog bonus. Don't get me wrong, GSP is amazing, but Hughes is no joke and I think that goes without saying.

The only knock on Hughes really is the game has sort of passed him up. He is a one-dimensional ground and pounder, and his subs and striking are behind the times. But he has proven again and again that his raw physical strength and presence is enough to overwhelm even the best competition.

I still haven't picked a winner, but I am leaning towards Hughes in this one. I think he has probably worked very hard on submission defense, and GSP isn't as good as Serra at ju-jitsu, so that should help.

His standup will probably be improved from working with Lawler and even if he cant score a takedown, I think when GSP shoots, Hughes can flip it and take top position that way.

I haven't made a final decision but my gut right now is saying Hughes via 3rd round GnP.

Just more points/money for the people who pick Hughes. I think people are picking GSP just because he beat Hughes last time, and it was a convincing win. But the way Hughes performed in his last fight, leads me to believe he's gonna come out, pick up GSP and slam him down and beat his face in for a few rounds. Hughes is still in great shape and I think in no way has his game passed him up, and he is less one dimensional then people think. His raw strength alone makes him dangerous pretty much anywhere. And if the striking doesn't work, he can take (basically) anyone down, and if his wrestling/GnP doesn't work...well it always works. Hughes via ground and pound.

Post #8   11/26/07 4:50:33PM   

JBatch

In Full Mount

JBatch Avatar

Career:779-491
Camp: Triumph
Chips:

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Hughes has been working with good strikers for years, his striking is and always has been a distraction. I believe it was before the Penn fight he was saying he desperately wanted to KO someone at least once. I don't see it happening but I didn't see Serra KOing GSP earlier this year.

I am not trying to be cocky and I know everyone is saying that GSP is going to win but I believe 100% that GSP will win this fight. I was actually more scared when he fought Kos due to Kos having better striking than Hughes.

Yet I can never count Hughes out he is the most dominant WW in UFC history and probably wants that belt more than anyone can fathom. Yet I will not go against my boy, Rush by 3rd or 4th round TKO.

Post #9   11/26/07 7:05:09PM   

hathcock32

In Full Mount

hathcock32 Avatar

Career:1,962-1,240
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
I dont think GSP wins at all.

Post #10   11/26/07 11:58:42PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:

I want to get that on a T-Shirt.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #11   11/27/07 12:11:39AM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
i want a shirt with a pic of gsp kicking hughes in the nuts twice... CHEATER.

i sm picking hughes just for the under dog bonus

but i think gsp 3rd round tko

Post #12   11/27/07 3:40:42AM   

stickyhash421

Banned

Career:62-33
Chips:
1st round KO like the 2nd fight, hughes was saved by the bell

Post #13   11/27/07 5:41:08AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Chips:

Posted by stickyhash421

1st round KO like the 2nd fight, hughes was saved by the bell

Yeah i watched it again the other day and he really was on the way out there, 2/3 more secs and GSP would of made the ref stop it, the superman punch hurt him but the 2nd left hook he threw dropped him badly

LMFAO at Hughes having an underdog bonus on here

Post #14   11/27/07 6:57:42AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

LMFAO at Hughes having an underdog bonus on here

I wonder how many people would have believed that if you told them back around when he fought Gracie. You think people would have learned by now.

Post #15   11/27/07 10:12:49AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3