Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White Banking on Brock Lesnar’s Success

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
For everyone who followed pro wrestling from childhood, there was always a lingering question: How would certain guys, not necessarily the biggest stars but the ones who are known by fans as real-life tough guys, do if the battle was real?

The question was more on people’s minds during old-school pro wrestling’s heyday than in recent years, largely because the Ultimate Fighter has answered a lot of questions about putting guys with different backgrounds into an arena and seeing what styles come out on top.

MMAjunkie Link
Yahoo Link

Post #1   10/26/07 3:03:31PM   

chokesetterjake

MMA Regular

chokesetterjake Avatar

Career:1,848-1,158
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
dana wants pro wrestling fans to buy the event and make him $$money$$

Post #2   10/26/07 3:10:15PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,071-1,071
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by chokesetterjake

yeah, and more money mean better contract for the fighters and a better chance to sigh others big names.

Post #3   10/26/07 3:20:58PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,400-1,329
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Brock better be the real deal. It would be an insult to the fans and the fighters if he's not.

Post #4   10/26/07 4:26:02PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:

Posted by chokesetterjake

Everyone keeps bashing Dana White, over and over. Its foolish. Do I think he likes making money? Yes. Do I think he knows how to make money? Yes. Do I think all he cares about is money? NO. Dana White doesn't have rocks for brains. He knows what makes the UFC money. He knows the UFC is the fighters. He didn't sign Fedor. Big Deal! He tried. Hell try again later. Randy may be leaving. MAYBE! It is possible that Dana and Randy can still come to an agreement on the situation. It is just absurd, to say that the man who made the UFC what it is, only makes decisions based on money.

Post #5   10/26/07 4:45:26PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
Dana isn't about the fighters. He didn't sign Fedor because he was a disrespectful, arrogant, ass. Saying "crazy Russians" in the media, and crap like that. You could offer him a billion dollars, a guy like Fedor doesn't care. If you act like a jerk off and disrespect him and his culture, its over, why would he want to sign with a guy like Dana. Calling his managers and representatives idiots, these are guys fedor is tight with and having them insulted like that is probably pissing him off. Dana may or may not be able to see that, he's so blinded by his ego shining so brightly of his bald ass head. When it comes down to it and you look between the lines, its pretty clear. Two of the classiest and most respected guys in MMA said no to Dana. Couture and Fedor both walked away from the ideal organization for them to be fighting in at this point, and I'm betting there is one reason.

Post #6   10/26/07 5:39:27PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Chips:

Posted by crushedbacon

Dana isn't about the fighters. He didn't sign Fedor because he was a disrespectful, arrogant, ass. Saying "crazy Russians" in the media, and crap like that. You could offer him a billion dollars, a guy like Fedor doesn't care. If you act like a jerk off and disrespect him and his culture, its over, why would he want to sign with a guy like Dana. Calling his managers and representatives idiots, these are guys fedor is tight with and having them insulted like that is probably pissing him off. Dana may or may not be able to see that, he's so blinded by his ego shining so brightly of his bald ass head. When it comes down to it and you look between the lines, its pretty clear. Two of the classiest and most respected guys in MMA said no to Dana. Couture and Fedor both walked away from the ideal organization for them to be fighting in at this point, and I'm betting there is one reason.

You know what they say about assumptions..

Post #7   10/26/07 5:45:10PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

Brock better be the real deal. It would be an insult to the fans and the fighters if he's not.

Considering his wrestling background and his size/strenght i think he will be legit.
Not to mention the fact he has been training with MFS and more recently Royce Grace. Defintly starting off smart.

Post #8   10/26/07 5:49:12PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Generally I would suggest not to assume things, but I feel the point "Two of the classiest guys in MMA" is well deserved by both fighters. I think there is something to be said of what's happening right now in MMA.

Also, we don't have to ASSUME to know that Dana has said idiotic things like "Fedor sucks" He's also denied being spoken to directly by Couture, which we now know is false. It's been pretty obvious that Fedor and Randy have been consummate professionals throughout this whereas Dana has not. He throws around words like he's some kind of tough guy, but he runs an organization full of fighters. Which doesn't mean he is a fighter. Much respect for what he's done for the sport, but I think we're really seeing a fruition of bad seeds sewn.

Post #9   10/26/07 5:52:00PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Generally I would suggest not to assume things, but I feel the point "Two of the classiest guys in MMA" is well deserved by both fighters. I think there is something to be said of what's happening right now in MMA.

Also, we don't have to ASSUME to know that Dana has said idiotic things like "Fedor sucks" He's also denied being spoken to directly by Couture, which we now know is false. It's been pretty obvious that Fedor and Randy have been consummate professionals throughout this whereas Dana has not. He throws around words like he's some kind of tough guy, but he runs an organization full of fighters. Which doesn't mean he is a fighter. Much respect for what he's done for the sport, but I think we're really seeing a fruition of bad seeds sewn.

I somewhat agree. Dana White is very open about his opinion. But, there are many things that go on behind closed doors. We may never know the true reasons as to why things have gone the way they have. Why Fedor did not sign. Why Randy may leave. Its all just politics. And there is one thing for certain. You should never trust the politics. There is always something hidden.

Post #10   10/26/07 6:08:24PM   

yanks1523

Learning to Sprawl

yanks1523 Avatar

Career:293-182
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
hey im not saying fedor sucks but dana might be right i mean ive seen him fight and he looked like the real deal but all these guys from pride who are supposed to be so good havent really impressed namely crocop and rua!

Post #11   10/26/07 6:52:16PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
Brock.. will probably be the most legitimate shot of a crossover from "pro" wrestling to mma. The guy is a real athlete, loves to compete, has a serious wrestling background, and is starting out in his 30s.. does this ring a bell? I hate pro wrestling.. i really do, but this guy deserves a shot. Its a smart business decision for the ufc because its gonna attract a huge amount of fans from the wwe fan base regardless of the outcome. If brock dominates then the wwe fans will say hurray! wwe > ufc! If he gets whooped then the wwe fans will say wow, all these oiled up guys in skimpy latex and high heeled pumps arent all that tough.. maybe i should start watching some real fights.

as for crushedbacon's comments.. i dont normally single people out in a post, but you are a great example of the posts that come off as ignorant to the people who have actually followed the entire process that led fedor from pride to m-1 global. Fedor and Randy, very classy people, both ambassadors to the sport.

The crazy russians that dana was referring to was finklestein and the rest of red devil sports management. Finklestein's main perogitive in those negotiations was to establish his own promotion, and was using his fighter as leverage. Obviously the public doesnt know all the details, but the last article i read about negotiations between finklestein and the ufc said that dana agreed to sambo, signing his brother, offered the money they wanted, and agreed to prospective ufc events on russian soil. What they didnt agree to was the co-promotions with m-1. And now we have people like you telling us that dana is an idiot and was unreasonable.

As for randy, you can check out my post in the other thread. He's got a hollywood agent, and now we have randy the movie star. He measures respect in dollars, and disrespects people like Nog by saying that theres no one worth fighting other than fedor.

Theres a reason why dana says that he hates the way managers manage their fighters.

Post #12   10/26/07 7:53:10PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,071-1,071
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by Jackelope

I somewhat agree. Dana White is very open about his opinion. But, there are many things that go on behind closed doors. We may never know the true reasons as to why things have gone the way they have. Why Fedor did not sign. Why Randy may leave. Its all just politics. And there is one thing for certain. You should never trust the politics. There is always something hidden.

Yeah you are right man, we only know the result and some part of what's happened but the truth is somewhere that we have not access !!

Post #13   10/26/07 7:59:02PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Chips:

Posted by wapttn

The crazy russians that dana was referring to was finklestein and the rest of red devil sports management. Finklestein's main perogitive in those negotiations was to establish his own promotion, and was using his fighter as leverage. Obviously the public doesnt know all the details, but the last article i read about negotiations between finklestein and the ufc said that dana agreed to sambo, signing his brother, offered the money they wanted, and agreed to prospective ufc events on russian soil. What they didnt agree to was the co-promotions with m-1. And now we have people like you telling us that dana is an idiot and was unreasonable.

As for randy, you can check out my post in the other thread. He's got a hollywood agent, and now we have randy the movie star. He measures respect in dollars, and disrespects people like Nog by saying that theres no one worth fighting other than fedor.

Theres a reason why dana says that he hates the way managers manage their fighters.

Great info! Information that most probably did not know.

Post #14   10/26/07 8:07:05PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:
In every thread about a pro wrestler/pro wrestling, people have to bash it, calling it "fake", and whatever else their immature asses come up with.

Id love to see each and every one of you spend 10 minutes in a ring with a legitimate pro wrestler... There is no way you would come out of there without at least a little respect for the stuff those guys do in there.

Is it a real fight? No. They dont even claim that it is anymore. Therefore, comparing it to MMA is like comparing apples to oranges: they arent even the same genre of entertainment. Get over it. Dont like, dont watch.

But, stop speaking about stuff you have no clue about..

Post #15   10/26/07 8:55:49PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2