Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Has the UFC’s Collective Ego Cost Them Big Bucks?

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Nothing sells in combat sports like a rivalry. If there’s a hometown hero to root for then you’re really talking big bucks. With that said, aside from the fact we’ll never see another Pride event, are the UFC missing a trick by promoting the Pride brand so minimally?

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   9/19/07 9:08:05AM   

buryyourdead

MMA Regular

buryyourdead Avatar

Career:383-219
Chips:
I don't think they are necessarily missing out by not promoting the now defunct PRIDE orginization. To the casual UFC fan, it is not going ot make adifference they will just think of it as something minimal compared to the UFC. Most of the diehard fans know exactly what PRIDE is and why it was considered to be the better of the 2 organizations for many years.

Post #2   9/19/07 4:29:32PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,526-889
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Exactly.

Pride knew how to organize fights and get you exicted about them.They could take the two worst fighters in the world and market it to look like the most spectacular fight of all time.They were also much better at building rivalries and marketing them,imo.The UFC is getting their though.I think their trying to find their own way and not copy the Pride forumula.That being said,I think it might be awhile before the UFC can markert fights a better way.

I think one thing lacking in the UFC is the fighter entrances.In Pride they came down the elevator thing and all that stuff.They even brought all the fighters into the ring prior to the opening fight.

I would love to see the UFC do that kind of stuff,but I doubt it will ever happen.

Post #3   9/20/07 6:32:39AM