Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Couture

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
The elbows and the GnP weren't a fluke. The kick to the head was thrown because he saw an opening.

The only real fluke about that fight is that CC came in underprepared and totally underestimated his opponent. In that sense, for GG it was a fluke win. I think if Mirko had been on his game it'd be lights out GG. So yeah, in that sense, the fight was a fluke.

As for GG executing his gameplan- that wasn't a fluke. He did good by taking him down and throwing elbows. Something he knew Mirko hadn't faced before. Kudos to GG for that fight (thank God Randy came back and proved that GG is not top, top competition) and negative props for Mirko for being an ass and not taking it seriously. Negative props for people thinking Gonzaga's striking is top material, but props for those realizing the guy has some weapons and is a contender, just not top, top competition with an excellent striking game.

I think we can all agree on that stuff, right?

Post #16   8/26/07 4:26:06PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I agree, I just thought that if you throw a kick and connect, but you can't do it again(tried against randy) it's a fluke. I don't think the ground was a fluke, the elbows botherd Mirko, and that lead to not being able to block it. I can't beleive talk about gonzaga's striking though, we saw tonight that he's not what he thought he was, he should have stuck to BJJ.

Post #17   8/26/07 4:39:29PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
Totally agree with you.

If you read back on the posts before the fights I'm pretty sure you and I were on the same page as far as Gonzaga goes. I do have to admit that my respect for his striking did go up slightly with this fight. Not for the headkicks, but because he had a couple well placed punches in there. Randy was ducking and weaving, but Gonzaga stayed right on target. The only problems he really faced were when Randy decided to exchange with him.

People talk bad about Randy's standup game but I feel like his boxing isn't too terrible, and obviously his dirty boxing is among the best. Looking back on Gonzaga's previous fights something I hadn't thought about before, but now is glaringly obvious to me is the fact that nobody had really put Gonzaga up against the fence and subjected him to that particular brand of fight.

I swear, call it nut hugging but I just can't say enough about Randy's mental game. He just absolutely dominates the sport when it comes to the game plan.

Gonzaga's going to be around still, don't you doubt. He's also a very smart and very likeable guy. Not to mention young. I think he'll have learned more from this one fight than he has learned in all his other fights combined.

Post #18   8/26/07 5:16:25PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:
I'm interested to see what plan randy would come up with for big nog and Fedor. I think he would have trouble with fedor, but you never know with randy do you.

Post #19   8/26/07 10:50:55PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

I think had he won on the ground it woulden't have been a fluke. It was the way he won that made it a fluke, we saw last night that he can't throw that kick consistantly, he hit randy and it barly made a noise. If you do something you can't repeat, thats a fluke.

It just doesn't make any sense at all to me. So just because Gonzaga couldn't KO Couture with the same kick he KO´d Mirko with it's an obvious fluke? Two totally different fights, two totally different fighters with Couture knowing what a Gonzaga kick could do to you.

Was Babalu´s win over Heath a fluke? Because I've seen him try anacondas many times before and fail.

Doesn't it strike you that Couture just might have been a little bit more aware of Gonzagas new found love for kicking and was a little bit more prepared for it? Plus Gonzaga looked like he was striking and kicking out of desperation this time. Like he just wanted Couture to go down fast so he couldn't close the distance and take him down again.

I'm not saying Gonzaga is a better striker than Mirko cuz that would be a joke. I'm also not saying he's an elite striker by any means. I'm just saying that it was he who chose to throw the kick that brutally knocked out Mirko, it wasn't Mirko who accidently bobbed his head to his left just as Gonzaga lost his balance and accidently kicked Mirko´s head off.

Post #20   8/27/07 10:08:31AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:
But he conntected with randy, that kick was a fluke, no babalu's was not a fluke. He threw a kick and it landed fine, but he'll never repeat the feat, it's like lobing up a basketball behind your back from 30 feet away, it may go in once but when you try it the next day, air ball.

Post #21   8/27/07 3:47:43PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,639-1,411
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Couture will have his belt for at least 2 -3 more title defences

I don' t think Big Nog should get a title shot imo because he looked crappy against Heath .

Post #22   8/27/07 5:05:38PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
I can't believe people keep saying this about Big Nog. He's fought the guy so many times which mitigates a lot of game plans. Heath stunned him real well, which took a lot of the fire out of him for a good portion of the fight. Not to mention Heath Herring is a tough, tough, tough dude. He's not the prettiest or most technical fighter out there, but the dude has skills. A win over him isn't something I would just brush off as easy, personally.

Post #23   8/27/07 5:46:18PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:
Heath is acctually a very good fighter. That kick would have ko'd alot of people but nog was just stunned, nogs tough, his boxings improving everyday and his JJ...well thats ok I guess.

Post #24   8/27/07 6:33:44PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
LOL yeah.. it's just o.k.

One of the most impressive things to me about Nog is in fact his chin. That guy has taken some punishment over the years. He's as tough as they come.

Post #25   8/27/07 8:20:09PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2