Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Gonzaga's weaknesses & Poll (Read This)

Print  
Who Will Win Gonzaga or Couture?
Gonzaga By TKO or KO 15 33%
Gonzaga By Decision 0 0%
Gonzaga By Submission 2 4%
Couture By TKO or KO 15 33%
Couture By Decision 14 30%
Couture By Submission 0 0%
Posted By Message

marketmaven

Learning to Sprawl

marketmaven Avatar

Career:254-139
Camp: Southeastern War Hammers
Chips:
I just reviewed the 3 round fight that was Gonzaga's lone loss, it was against Fabricio Werdum, a top BJJ guy who had a weak showing against Arlovski in UFC 70.

It was fairly a close match perhaps even going Gonzagas way in the first two rounds, and then Werdum connected with some serious knees and pounded him with relentless strikes. As a side topic, I hope the UFC gives Werdum another chance.

After reviewing this fight I am convince Gonzaga will win tonights fight if it lasts 2 rounds, otherwise, 3 rounds or more, Randy's experience, and his wrestling ability and his not so bad ground and pound will mean the difference.

The Verdict:
Gonzaga takes it by submission or TKO if it is a short fight (rounds 1 or 2),
Coutoure takes it by decision or by ground and pound if it lasts longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-i6Sc9KC1M

Last edited 8/25/07 10:07AM server time by marketmaven
Edit note/reason: Revise Subject Line

Post #1   8/25/07 10:06:29AM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Gonzaga will lose his title shot tonight that was given to him by CC

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #2   8/25/07 10:14:12AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
Good points, nice thread, one thing to bare in mind with the Werdum fight is that Gonzaga had little experience and this was one of his first fights.

I find it funny to agree with you that the 24 year old may actually have more trouble against the 40+ year old IF the fight goes on more than 3 rounds. But that's Randy for you.

Personally, I have Gonzaga picked and I do think he will stop Randy if he pushes the pace, varies his gameplan in accordance to Randy.

Post #3   8/25/07 10:32:13AM   

kofranklin

MMA Regular

Career:98-42
Chips:
Gonzaga will win this fight easily.

Post #4   8/25/07 12:03:50PM   

ocho-cinco

In Full Mount

ocho-cinco Avatar

Career:994-597
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:
If the fight goes the distance I don't really see a huge advantage either way. Both fighters are coming into this fight in amazing shape. In the previews both fighters are saying the other guy can't last 5 rounds with me. That makes for an unbelievable war of attrition. This fight has the potential for huge momentum swings with the energy reserves these two guys have. I think if Randy wins it will have to be a decision. I believe Gonzaga could win with a decision, TKO, or even a sub, although I have trouble imagining Randy getting cought in a submission. This fight has been so hard for me to call, but I said Gonzaga from the time this fight was made official, so I'm sticking to that, no matter how much my mind goes back and fourth. Can't wait to see it finally happen!

Post #5   8/25/07 12:09:01PM   

spider1179

MMA Regular

spider1179 Avatar

Career:788-526
Chips:

Posted by ocho-cinco

If the fight goes the distance I don't really see a huge advantage either way. Both fighters are coming into this fight in amazing shape. In the previews both fighters are saying the other guy can't last 5 rounds with me.

Did you really expect one of them so say they weren't in great shape? All fighters say their opponent cannot last the full fight with them.

Post #6   8/25/07 1:27:54PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by kofranklin

You are picking the Champ to lose and for that matter lose easy you have to at least explain why. I'm not saying who will win or lose i'm simply asking why you are pick as you did.

I also find the poll results funny, isn't GG a BJJ bad ass? Why so many pick for him by KO? I would figure there to be more by sub.

Last edited 8/25/07 5:00PM server time by postman
Edit note/reason: saw the poll after the post

Post #7   8/25/07 4:55:46PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by kofranklin

You are picking the Champ to lose and for that matter lose easy you have to at least explain why. I'm not saying who will win or lose i'm simply asking why you are pick as you did.

I also find the poll results funny, isn't GG a BJJ bad ass? Why so many pick for him by KO? I would figure there to be more by sub.

People jumping on the GG crocop knockout bandwagon- simple enough.

Ocho-cinco, that was one of the first intelligent pro Gonzaga posts I've seen so far. Props for using your brain instead of being convinced by the fluke knockout.

Still- couture by UD

Post #8   8/25/07 5:31:17PM   

Canadian_MM_EH

Banned

Career:82-58
Chips:
Gonzaga by KO/TKO..

Post #9   8/25/07 7:40:55PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Canadian_MM_EH

Gonzaga by KO/TKO..

Why?

Post #10   8/25/07 8:05:59PM   

pinoymixplaya

MMA Regular

pinoymixplaya Avatar

Career:296-200
Chips:
but you do know that the fight between him and Werdum was 4 years ago? A lot can happen within 4 years of training.....

Post #11   8/25/07 8:56:07PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
This poll is so funny. Just look at the results and the only votes that make any sense really are the couture by decision votes.

Look how many people voted Couture by KO/TKO- HAH! As though that's something Randy does often

Gonzaga by KO/TKO far outweighs Gonzaga by Submission..... I just keep checking back on this poll and scratching my head

Post #12   8/25/07 9:06:40PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:
No Ko tonight!

Post #13   8/26/07 3:11:54AM   

marketmaven

Learning to Sprawl

marketmaven Avatar

Career:254-139
Camp: Southeastern War Hammers
Chips:

Posted by marketmaven

After reviewing this fight I am convince Gonzaga will win tonights fight if it lasts 2 rounds, otherwise, 3 rounds or more, Randy's experience, and his wrestling ability and his not so bad ground and pound will mean the difference.

The Verdict:
Gonzaga takes it by submission or TKO if it is a short fight (rounds 1 or 2),
Coutoure takes it by decision or by ground and pound if it lasts longer.

Called it :), man what a great gameplan, hold him up against the fence, Gonzaga cant throw bombs and hit him up with inside boxing and elbows. I loved it....experience and strategy trumps strength and high end bjj.

I am a definitely a fan of Couture now. I still think he would lose to Vera or Fedor and possibly Cro Cop still other than that I dont see anyone beating him.

Post #14   8/26/07 11:28:30AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
Not necessarily called it. Considering Randy dominated round 1 and 2 as well.

Although I didn't call it, either. I placed little faith in a Couture KO/TKO but I put high faith in a Couture UD.

Post #15   8/26/07 5:22:05PM