Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

George Sullivan pulled from UFC on FOX 20 for 'potential compliance issue' with anti-doping policy

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:4,356-2,486
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Another UFC fighter has been pulled from a card in the middle of fight week due to potential U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) concerns. This time it’s UFC on FOX 20’s George Sullivan.

Sullivan (17-5 MMA, 3-2 UFC) has been flagged with a “potential compliance issue” with the UFC’s anti-doping policy stemming from “voluntarily disclosed information” the fighter provided to USADA. As a result, the UFC welterweight has been removed from Saturday’s showdown with Hector Urbina (17-9-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC), which was scheduled to air on the UFC Fight Pass-streamed portion of the preliminary card prior to the FOX broadcast at United Center in Chicago.

UFC officials today announced the news along with a release on the company website.

LINK

Post #1   7/22/16 12:24:22AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:1,719-1,169
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Damn. USADA era coming in HARD! With the wording of the article it makes it appear he 'might' have a violation but they are pulling him or due diligence before looking into what he 'violated'. Most likely it's a surgery/pain thing.

I think someone else got pulled because they disclosed they took prescription meds after a surgery.

I am all for the new USADA era but they've gotta work out some kinks if guys coming off surgery and injuries are 'potential' violators. This shit is fucking with their paychecks and livelihoods.

UPDATE: I read some more statements from USADA and Sullivan and this seems like some Minority Report stuff, nothing confirmed but seeing as there is a possibility he pops, let's pull him. Wait what?! If he didn't officially test positive, how is he being pulled?

Last edited 7/22/16 12:16PM server time by tildengolfer
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   7/22/16 1:17:51AM   

RacingHartPurple

MMA Regular

RacingHartPurple Avatar

Career:2,956-1,744
Chips:
Sucks, Urbina had some juicy odds on here.

Post #3   7/22/16 4:29:36AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:2,478-1,436
Camp: Fight Ducker
Chips:

I was pulled from the card due to a natural supplement being on my list of supplements that I voluntarily disclosed to USADA. This supplement has been on my list that I have disclosed to both the UFC and USADA prior to my previous fights.

this is an excerpt from Sullivan's facebook.

if thats true, its a real shame that this is costing him a paycheck

Post #4   7/22/16 1:45:55PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

I was pulled from the card due to a natural supplement being on my list of supplements that I voluntarily disclosed to USADA. This supplement has been on my list that I have disclosed to both the UFC and USADA prior to my previous fights.

Then USADA goes and alleges he's never presented them with this supplement before...

I am more inclined to believe Sullivan, but we will see what happens in time.

Post #5   7/22/16 9:37:01PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:2,478-1,436
Camp: Fight Ducker
Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Then USADA goes and alleges he's never presented them with this supplement before...

I am more inclined to believe Sullivan, but we will see what happens in time.

i missed that. im with you on both. i'll wait to see how it plays out but im leaning towards george's side right now

Post #6   7/23/16 6:45:07AM   

jae_1833

Adrian Peterson: my hero!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,033-2,569
Chips:
There are a few kinks that need to be worked out here and Sullivan's case exemplifies multiple of them...clearer and better definitions of PEDs, simplified lists for fighters to follow, better due process, better PR (possible violations is a word group that should be deleted and replaced with violation of drug policy for having X in said named fighter's system). The whole supplement issue is getting old too, kind of like TRT back in the day...gents it's either steroids or its not, figure it out!

Post #7   7/23/16 2:31:44PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833
The whole supplement issue is getting old too, kind of like TRT back in the day...gents it's either steroids or its not, figure it out!

The problem is they can 'pop' for more than PEDs. Jones for PED blockers and then everyone who has tested positive for marijuana metabolites.

I remember being a college athlete and under the NCAA, caffeine was considered a PED. So being on the golf team, a cup of coffee in the morning would lead to a positive test result and suspension of the athlete.

Such a weird world we live in.

Post #8   7/26/16 2:55:18PM