Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC vs Olympics martial artists skill level and age difference.

Print  
Posted By Message

davelawson

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Hello, i was just wondering how do the UFC fighters compare to olympics martial artists. Are UFC fighters the best in the world? or are the olympic gold medalists the best? Sorry i'm new to all this.
Ive always been under the impression the UFC is basically the best of the best fighters in the world, who ever is the heavyweight champion of the UFC is the baddest most dangerous man on the planet, how do Olympic martial artists compare? If UFC fighters are the best why don't they go for a gold medal in Olympics? Are Olympic martial artists basically just amateurs? Like comparing Olympic boxers to Pro boxers? Alot of the record breaking fastest sprinters and swimmers in the world are all olympic athletes so you can't really say they are amateaurs.
Also i notice the guys who are winning the gold medals in Judo are all in the early 20s, the last 4 summer Olympics the gold medalists were all between the ages of 21-24 in Judo, while in MMA and the UFC they hit there primes (not ALL, but lots) in the late 20s and early 30s, most of the top ufc fighters (specially heavyweights and ground fighters) hit there primes between 27-32, Cain was at 30, , you never see any Judo olympic gold medalists at that age, while in UFC/MMA you will rarely ever see a man hit his prime between 21-24 specially in the heavyweight division which is dominated by men in the late 20s and early 30s.. ANyone know why this is? What is so much different about MMA and UFC fighters to Olympic Judo that causes that age difference, judo is a combat sport just like BJJ, Kickboxing, Wrestling, and whatever else these ufc fighters are doing.
Thanks for help

Post #1   3/26/15 12:19:00PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:3,000-1,896
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
So here's my thoughts. Olympians and specific sport professionals (i.e. Boxers) are usually much better than pro mixed martial artists in their individual sport as they train and focus only on that 1 specific sport. MMA fighters train in multiple disciplines and usually have an amateur record or background in a specific sport (wrrestling/bjj/etc). So when Anderson Silva says he wants to fight the top boxer in the world I scoff at the idea because in my mind it's too big of an immediate jump. Can they be pro's, sure...it's the same in reverse. Just see James Tony vs Randy Couture.

Post #2   3/26/15 2:20:53PM   

Gumby90

In Full Mount

Career:3-1
Chips:
MMA fighters are less technical by far when you get below the top 10 of a division. Having success at the highest levels means being technical and having your head in the right place, but at lower levels it's more important to mentally be a dangerous fighter with good heart and hunger than it is to be super technical.

Post #3   3/26/15 2:46:12PM   

FKA

Standup Guy

FKA Avatar

Career:173-101
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Put it this way olympic level wrestlers can jump straight into mma after Olympics and have immediate success being able to out cardio,and grapple guys.

Same with olympic judo,bjj

Mma guys imo would have far less success trying to even make an olympic backup.(with very few exception)

Post #4   3/26/15 4:40:27PM   

GDPofMPG

Fighters>Promoters

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,608-1,061
Chips:
This op encapsulates what I posted earlier this morning. Ufc vs Olympics... Not mma. Someone with little admitted knowledge contextualizes their perception on the sport on par with people who by this point should know better.

But the practice of a single discipline vs varied disciplines is a big devising factor because it divides the attention and focus of refining an indivual discipline. An mma fighters without a prexisitng base in an Olympic sport won't fare well qgaint an Olympic athlete from the sport. The same applies the other direction. An Olympic athlete with only one martial art discipline will not fare well against an mma fighters able to utilize an array of disciplines to mitigate the Olympians strengths.

But you are 100% correct in your assumption. Cain Velasquez is the baddest man on the planet.

Last edited 3/26/15 5:17PM server time by gdpofmpg
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   3/26/15 5:16:05PM   

FKA

Standup Guy

FKA Avatar

Career:173-101
Chips:
Dan henderson.........

Post #6   3/26/15 6:06:01PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,798-1,447
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
NEW
Depends 100% on the country, just as the majority of the time MMA skill level and depth depends on the organization.

There are countries like the US, Russia, Iran, Cuba, Azerbaijan, Japan, etc. that are top notch in say wrestling and making the team is an accomplishment by itself. And then there are countries where most of us could get up from our couch and as long as we were citizens and showed up to tryouts we'd make that country's Olympic wrestling team.

On an even playing field, say USA wrestling vs. fighters from the UFC MMA promotion as an example at crossing over into each other's sport the Olympians would have the advantage. If you take those same fighters vs. say the Vietnam or Guam Olympic wrestling team, I'd have a hard time convincing anyone that the Olympians from those countries would translate better to that MMA promotion than the fighters would translate to the Guam Olympic wrestling team.

So it's not a true statement that Olympians are more skilled than martial artists and better able to cross over into the other's world. It's true at the top level of the sport imo but literally some people reading this could make certain countries Olympic wrestling teams.

Last edited 3/30/15 11:58PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #7   3/30/15 11:54:03PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,798-1,447
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
NEW
The IOC is a rare group that can without a doubt send ZUFFA or all AC's (depending what we're comparing) to the little kid's table and then step on them when it comes to questionable business practices. Fascinating white collar syndicate they are.

Post #8   3/31/15 12:08:58AM