Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jon Jones -What Does Jones need To Do?

Print  
Posted By Message

billbrown7071

Learning to Sprawl

Career:575-347
Camp: Ninja Jiu Jitsu
Chips:
NEW
In your Opinion -What Does Jon Jones need To Do to be considered the best ever??

The Majority Consider Anderson Silva The Best Even, and with good reason

Most successful title defenses (10)
Most finishes in UFC title fights (9)
Most finishes in the UFC (14)
Most consecutive wins in the UFC (16)
Longest win streak in UFC history (16)
Most knockdowns landed in UFC History (17)
Longest UFC title reign (2457 days)

and the things he has done in the Octagon and ways he has won and fought are unmatched

If you are one of the those who believes A.Silva is the greatest

in your Opinion what does Jon Jones have to do to pass him as the greatest??

IMO If Jones Beat Gus again and then Cormier, I believe should be considered the greatest...

hes on an eleven fight win streak, and should be undefeated at 21-0

and won 7 title fights in a row, if he beat gus and cormier it will be 9

I also believe The fighters Jones has beat during his title reign are better than the fighters Silva beat during his reign

Jones has also been more dominate, IMO hes only los t3 or 4 total rounds (1 to machida, 2 or 3 to gus), and he's never been dominated or in any trouble, Silva lost 6 rounds to chael sonnen, 4 rounds to Weidman, 1 to lutter and 1 to henderson...

I also believe Jones skill set, may be the best skill set in mma, Incredible wrestling, boxing ,kickboxing, muay thia, BJJ(great subs), Reach, and Brutal ground and pound with elbows...

IMO Silva is the greatest striker ever but doesn't have as good as skill set as Jones

These are some of the reasons why I would consider Jones the greatest if he beats Gus and Cormier..

Again In your Opinion What Does Jon Jones need To Do to be considered the best ever??

Post #1   7/11/14 12:36:13AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,360-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
NEW
Personally I already consider Jones better than Anderson. Sure Gus & DC would cement it.

Jones entered the UFC 3 weeks after his 21st birthday, Anderson about 3 months after his 31st birthday.

Jones should be one win away from tying Anderson's record of 16 straight UFC wins.

The main thing to me is showing you can beat all MMA styles. For this reason I consider Fedor above Anderson as well. Jones has shown he can beat many top strikers, many BJJ black belts, multiple Olympic & D1 wrestlers, etc. And he's beaten everyone with ease aside from Gustaffson, and even in that fight guess how many rounds Gus landed more significant strikes? `Zero` out of 5 rounds. Close rounds sure, but no doubt Jones did have the edge in what was a correctly scored Unanimous Decision.

Anderson showed/has shown he could beat top strikers of various styles, he could beat top level BJJ practitioners, but wrestlers? Good god no. They made him look fringe Top 10. Prior to his first encounter with Chael, the only wrestler Anderson had fought in 10(!) title fights was Hendo making his UFC debut from PRIDE. Hendo easily won the 1st, taking Silva down and GNP'ing at will as Anderson prayed for a stand-up. In the 2nd it was the same strategy though this time Hendo was RNC'd after a punch stunned him with 10 seconds left in the 2nd.

Facing Sonnen the first time, he was down 40-36 before hitting a late 5th round Triangle Choke. Combined with the Hendo fight he'd lost all 5 rounds that ended against wrestlers but was a lucky 2-0 with 2 submissions. Chael got a rematch one year later and again got the TD/GNP all round easily going ahead 10-9. In the 2nd he fell down while trying a spinning back elbow and Silva capitalized with a TKO making him 3-0 against wrestlers but having won Zero of 6 rounds in those fights. That kind of luck isn't sustainable.

Enter Chris Weidman. After a dominant 10-9 first, he flattened Anderson in the 2nd while he was rope-a-dropping unconscious to the mat. A rematch was called for and Weidman again got the TD that Anderson has never stopped from anyone with a wrestling pedigree and Chris GNP'd him in a beatdown as Anderson has never been able to get up with a wrestler on him. Again, easy 10-9 Weidman. The 2nd ends with another Weidman TKO as Anderson wrapped his shin around Weidman's leg on a checked kick like his leg was a Bentley driven by Jones and Weidman's leg checking it was a utility pole.

Anderson versus wrestlers is 3-2 W-L. In completed rounds Sonnen, Weidman, & Hendo were 8-0 as Anderson has never even won a round against someone with wrestling as their base, in plain terms he was losing in all 5 fights against wrestlers when they ended, he's lucky to be 3-2 as his hail mary 5th round triangle shows.

No one will ever be `the best ever` if they struggle that insanely bad against a core style of MMA. Jones > Anderson all-time and he's 26 compared to 39. Many will disagree but Silva's #'s versus wrestlers don't lie. No best ever at anything in any sport was that severely flawed against a certain type of opponent as Anderson losing 8 of 8 scored rounds against wrestlers, ending up 3-2 but while losing all 5 at the time of the finish..

Last edited 7/11/14 1:41AM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #2   7/11/14 1:35:20AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:625-338
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
NEW
I'm a big jones fan and I love the way he fights, but I still consider Anderson to be better than jones as of now.

There are so many ways you can look at it as the two previous posts have shown.

For me I think a lot of it comes down to the aura of a fighter. Sure we can go on and on about statistics and who beat who. But nobody can deny Anderson had that special spark that made everybody watch, almost like an invincibility. The only other fighter who had that IMO is fedor.

Another point is jones still hasn't got that one strike clean ko in his ufc career. Anderson has gotten numerous one strike ko's. That front kick ko is still probably one of the greatest ko's in ufc history. The flip side of that is jones has such awesome ground and pound and is so well rounded compared to Anderson, this argument could really go on forever.

Post #3   7/11/14 6:00:09AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,423-873
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
NEW
He needs to beat Cain Velasquez. It's as simple as that. He can beat everyone he fights for the next ten years, but if one of them isn't Cain, no best ever for him!

Personally, as much as I love debating P4P lists and who is and who isn't the GOAT with people, the problem with it is that these things are subjective and all nothing more than a matter of opinion. I mean, lets say I have Mighty Mouse as my number 1 pound for pound fighter, and Kpro says it's Jones, which one of us is right? Strong arguments can be made for either guy with no definitive evidence that either one is better than the other. That's the thing with these lists. It's all a matter of opinion.

Post #4   7/11/14 6:26:30AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,360-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
NEW

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Personally, as much as I love debating P4P lists and who is and who isn't the GOAT with people, the problem with it is that these things are subjective and all nothing more than a matter of opinion. I mean, lets say I have Mighty Mouse as my number 1 pound for pound fighter, and Kpro says it's Jones, which one of us is right? Strong arguments can be made for either guy with no definitive evidence that either one is better than the other. That's the thing with these lists. It's all a matter of opinion.

I agree. P4P and GOAT debating is pointless if you go in expecting a resolution, heh. I usually only do my Top 10 Favorites ranking since no one can argue with who my favorites are.

I just wanted to introduce Anderson's horrible lack of success vs. wrestlers as to why I'd never consider him for GOAT with some of the others who have graced the sport that dominated all styles.... then see how someone who views Anderson as the GOAT defends that glaring style-anomaly he has that detracts from his `aura`.

I think if he faced more than one wrestler (Hendo's UFC debut) in his first 11 fights, if it was the MW division we have today, Tim Kennedy among others could have beaten him. 1 wrestler in his first 11 fights(!). Sounds more hand-picked than Liddell's opponents were accused of being when Liddell was a popular forum topic. After those first 11, 4 of his next 6 opponents in title fights were wrestlers. Chael x2 and Weidman x2. He was losing all 4 when the finish came in them as he broke even in W-L.

Against any other style than wrestling he is a GOAT-esque 13-0 in the UFC. In fights he lost by getting stopped or was losing when he pulled off the win it was 5 of 5 bouts against wrestlers. I just want to see how someone defends Anderson as the GOAT with that big of a glaring style-weakness while similarly dominant champs who had no style weaknesses exist.

Post #5   7/11/14 7:15:10AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:625-338
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
NEW

Posted by Kpro

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

I agree. P4P and GOAT debating is pointless if you go in expecting a resolution, heh. I usually only do my Top 10 Favorites ranking since no one can argue with who my favorites are.

I just wanted to introduce Anderson's horrible lack of success vs. wrestlers as to why I'd never consider him for GOAT with some of the others who have graced the sport that dominated all styles.... then see how someone who views Anderson as the GOAT defends that glaring style-anomaly he has that detracts from his `aura`.

I think if he faced more than one wrestler (Hendo's UFC debut) in his first 11 fights, if it was the MW division we have today, Tim Kennedy among others could have beaten him. 1 wrestler in his first 11 fights(!). Sounds more hand-picked than Liddell's opponents were accused of being when Liddell was a popular forum topic. After those first 11, 4 of his next 6 opponents in title fights were wrestlers. Chael x2 and Weidman x2. He was losing all 4 when the finish came in them as he broke even in W-L.

Against any other style than wrestling he is a GOAT-esque 13-0 in the UFC. In fights he lost by getting stopped or was losing when he pulled off the win it was 5 of 5 bouts against wrestlers. I just want to see how someone defends Anderson as the GOAT with that big of a glaring style-weakness while similarly dominant champs who had no style weaknesses exist.

ok well you kind of smashed my aura, nice sneaky insult there ! haha

my point was kind of simple, and probably a bit of a naive and dumb post. I get where you are coming from.

if i could just expand on my ''aura'' point lol. If we had a poll right now and voted for the GOAT who do you think would win out of say silva, jones and fedor ? probably silva right ? i just think that means so much if you put a full stop on it and didnt make any comments about anything in regards to style, opponents etc just had to pick one the majority would probably definitely pick Anderson. do you get what i mean ? its kind of a definitive way of looking at it, also simple too, but definitive lol. im really not being a smart ass either and i hope you get what im saying. It makes sense in my head hahaha

Post #6   7/11/14 9:26:28AM