Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

First BJJ tournament on aug 30, any advice?

Print  
Posted By Message

Gumby90

Learning to Sprawl

Career:3-1
Chips:
I'm an ex highschool wrestler and I've done some Judo in the past but none of that is going to make me an awesome white belt.

Any experiences or advice to share for someones first tournament?

Its a submission only tourney, no time limits and no points, only submissions and taps.

Post #1   6/29/14 6:30:01PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,656-1,459
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
My only advice would be dont get tapped

Last edited 6/29/14 8:16PM server time by sparky
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   6/29/14 8:16:24PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,423-873
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Don't do what Te Huna did for starters. Also, I'd say pace yourself and use measured aggression. You have to sub them to win, but don't go blowing your wad early on going all out on any sub attempt with the slightest chance of success. Other than that, I'm not sure what I've got for advice besides chaining sub attempts together. I know when guys are in my guard I like to throw up a triangle and work it briefly before switching to an armbar real quick, and when that isn't taking I try and switch to the omoplatta and see if I can use it to creep my way out and take their back.

Don't put your hands on the mat when you're in their guard! That's about all I got other than remember the fundamentals.

Post #3   6/29/14 8:24:18PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
blue belt and pro fighter here, my advice is to not take it too seriously. it's your first tournament, you've probably done lots of wrestling tournaments in the past. just use it to see where your jitz is at and as a taste of competitive jitz. I'm not saying don't try, of course you should absolutely take the matches serious, but don't worry about making podium or winning the whole thing. we're all pretty competitive but just try not to go in with huge expectations. good luck

Post #4   6/30/14 5:22:36PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,099-661
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

blue belt and pro fighter here, my advice is to not take it too seriously. it's your first tournament, you've probably done lots of wrestling tournaments in the past. just use it to see where your jitz is at and as a taste of competitive jitz. I'm not saying don't try, of course you should absolutely take the matches serious, but don't worry about making podium or winning the whole thing. we're all pretty competitive but just try not to go in with huge expectations. good luck

Best advise given.

Whilst I haven't competed in a BJJ competitions I have competed in a few Kickboxing tournaments.

I did a few at the age of like 14-16 but got incredibly disheartened as my training partner and friend would always place first. Whether he eliminated me in the early rounds or whether we matched up in the final.

I remember my first ever competition, it was a points contest and he beat me like 22-7 in the 2, 90 second rounds. Being eliminated in the first round completely sucked especially for a first event when you mentally saw and visioned yourself winning.

As a result I simply stopped trying to compete in competitions as I thought it was a waste of time.

About 5 years later when I had moved countries to go to university. A university was holding an amateur kickboxing points sparring competition, I hadn't even trained in at least 9+ months. But my (now ex) girlfriend signed me up and I came 3rd out of 32.

Moral of the story is win or lose, the fact you are training means you are learning skills. Just because you win or lose doesn't mean anything. Keep at it and who knows, a few years down the line if you've trained your ass off in that time the skills will stay with you, even if you quit.

Just go out there and have fun and enjoy the experience.
Oh and never sign upto a competition with your sparring partner.

Last edited 6/30/14 6:12PM server time by jjeans
Edit note/reason: n/a

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #5   6/30/14 6:11:22PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
My advice….

Don't be too soft/hesitant/scared to use full strength in some situations.

My first match of my first tourney turned out like this….

Start rolling, I am going like 50% because I don't know this person. Next thing you know Im fighting off a RNC for what seems like forever. How he got my back was from me not "trying" IDK while I'm typing this Im realizing it is hard to explain through text on a forum:bang head:

Just don't be scared to "go hard" lol.

just ignore me

Post #6   6/30/14 7:29:26PM   

Gumby90

Learning to Sprawl

Career:3-1
Chips:
Thanks. Its hard not rolling for complete utter dominance. I'm so competitive. Not in training, but in competition its hard not to be.

Post #7   7/1/14 12:10:48PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:625-338
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I've been in a few comps now.

My advice is to make sure you warm up well, get a bit of a sweat going because although it is just a grappling match you will find that your adrenaline really does spike up. Warming up well will help with that.

Post #8   7/1/14 9:16:52PM