Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

If Pride got a 170 lb. division who should they move to it?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,902-1,070
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Someone mentioned Aoki. Since he usually fights at 167 in Shooto I think this make sense, Aoki vs Filho would be a grapplers dream.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #16   1/30/07 6:40:07PM   

Spiderman

MMA Regular

Spiderman Avatar

Career:72-42
Chips:
All the fighters who are small at 183 lbs . Gono , Chonan , Suloev those 3 really dont belong in the 183 lb div they are to small for it . Imo Suloev would probably be the 170 lb champ in Pride , and would crush GSP in a fight under Pride rules .

I dont know why People are mentioning Filho [ A former 205lb fighter who is huge at 183lbs ] who is talking about moveing up to 205 to fight Shogun and Wandy. Why not have Franklin or kang move down also ?

I also dont understand why Gomi [ A former 155 lb fighter ] would want to move up in Weight ? Or where the myth that Gomi is a huge LW comes from ? Aurillo is / was bigger than Gomi , so are a lot of his oppenents other than Pulver and Ishida .. IF you want to see a big 160 lb fighter take a look at Jermain Taylor 6'1 160 lbs

@ above poster Aoki vs Shaolin would be great . Filho is to big for Aoki !
Your right about Aoki haveing , and fighting again at 167 , but he isnt big ! Like most japanese fighters he fights against Larger oppenents/ Heavier weightclass's than he needs to .. Dont know if you watched Hansen vs Aoki But it looked pretty clear to me that hansen was the heavier of the 2 .

Last edited 1/30/07 9:16PM server time by spiderman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   1/30/07 9:12:23PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,902-1,070
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Spiderman

All the fighters who are small at 183 lbs . Gono , Chonan , Suloev those 3 really dont belong in the 183 lb div they are to small for it . Imo Suloev would probably be the 170 lb champ in Pride , and would crush GSP in a fight under Pride rules .

I dont know why People are mentioning Filho [ A former 205lb fighter who is huge at 183lbs ] who is talking about moveing up to 205 to fight Shogun and Wandy. Why not have Franklin or kang move down also ?

I also dont understand why Gomi [ A former 155 lb fighter ] would want to move up in Weight ? Or where the myth that Gomi is a huge LW comes from ? Aurillo is / was bigger than Gomi , so are a lot of his oppenents other than Pulver and Ishida .. IF you want to see a big 160 lb fighter take a look at Jermain Taylor 6'1 160 lbs

Your right about Aoki haveing , and fighting again at 167 , but he isnt big ! Like most japanese fighters he fights against Larger oppenents/ Heavier weightclass's than he needs to .. Dont know if you watched Hansen vs Aoki But it looked pretty clear to me that hansen was the heavier of the 2 .

It's actually because he is short ( 5 ft. 8) that make sme think it's possible for him. I know he's built like a shorter Arona, but it's not like he's Monson . If GSP and Riggs can make 170 I am sure he would too. Howver, since he is one of the best in the world at 183 , I agree it's probably unlikely unless he suffered a lot of losses at that weight. Since he is undefeated right now, it does seem unlikely. The only other reason I could see him moving down is if Bustamante were to have a resurgence and become champ. Teamates rarely fight eachother. IMO GSP wouldn't be dominated by anyone at 185 and down. As for Taylor I heard one of the announcers say he was close to 190 when he got to the ring.

Last edited 1/31/07 5:42AM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #18   1/31/07 4:01:26AM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,641-998
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by Spiderman

Suloev vs. GSP would be a good fight, but "crush him", come on now. You are not giving GSP any respect. The guy has one loss, to Matt Hughes in 2004. He has beaten some great opponents like Hughes, Penn, Sherk, Trigg, Mayhem Miller and Parisyan.

Post #19   1/31/07 4:12:11AM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
prides wieght system is a little wierd to me. 160 lbs LWs which shouldnt be considered LW IMO

Post #20   1/31/07 1:07:08PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
GSP would work Suloev IMO, I think Suloev isnt that great and wieght class wouldnt really matter because GSP is a monster @ 170

WAR GSP!

Post #21   1/31/07 8:32:02PM   

Spiderman

MMA Regular

Spiderman Avatar

Career:72-42
Chips:
Suloev gave Chuck a very close fight , while giveing up about 40 Lbs ! Maybe Gsp gets a takedown , but Suloev has very good takedown defence , and is extremely fast on his feet , and without elbows and the cage I dont know if Gsp would be effective enough to finish Suloev ? I see this fight staying on the feet , and only the most diehard Gsp fans could see Gsp outstrikeing Suloev !

Post #22   2/1/07 3:43:04PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2