Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White: Dissolving of PRIDE Fighting Championships a “Possibility”

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

mmadb

MMADB.com

mmadb Avatar

Career:625-342
Chips:
Selling out a 60,000+ seat venue is why. You can't do that anywhere else at this point. Japan is way too huge of a market to ignore it and the UFC is going everywhere but Japan it seems. It's a no brainer, even if they bring all the top guys to the UFC and leave all the Japanese fighters in Pride they would still make some good coin over there I'm sure.

Post #16   6/20/07 10:18:24AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I think the move is a mistake for the main reason that if all the great fighters are in one organization, how often do you think we'll see them fight (at the rate of about 5 bouts per PPV event)? That is unless of course MMA because a regular mainstream (free) event on TV or every PPV event is nothing but title (or top contender) fights. My fear is that the PPV events will become even more numerous, which I don't think will stand the test of time with fans.

A regular series of undercard bouts on TV with quarterly title/top contender fights would be the only option I can see (if all the top fighters are in one organization)

As for the Japanese fan base, well, if Pride is dissolved I can realistically see another new organization take it's place. Whether or not it will be successful is another story.

Post #17   6/20/07 10:29:47AM   

MrGreeny

MMA Regular

MrGreeny Avatar

Career:511-324
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
Don't think this will happen. I just don't want to believe it

I hope that zuffa have big plans for Pride...

Post #18   6/20/07 11:01:31AM   

Primo

MMA Regular

Primo Avatar

Career:20-17
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
Because there is more money to be made in Japan then in the U.S.

Post #19   6/20/07 1:34:03PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:985-644
Chips:
japan loves Bob Sapp!........ lol

Post #20   6/21/07 5:35:52PM   

Signal2112

Standup Guy

Signal2112 Avatar

Career:52-22
Chips:

Posted by Primo

I think they should've ran PRIDE as a seperate entity, cross promotion, and have that huge "superbowl of mma" in december every year. Think of the money they would've made. I think Dana's ego got in the way, they would sell out arenas over there averaging 40,000 with as much as 90,000. Financially it doesn't make any sense.

This is very true. The numbers of people who attended Pride events was massive...made UFC event turnouts look pathetic by comparison!

Post #21   6/21/07 5:48:05PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by Primo

I think they should've ran PRIDE as a seperate entity, cross promotion, and have that huge "superbowl of mma" in december every year. Think of the money they would've made. I think Dana's ego got in the way, they would sell out arenas over there averaging 40,000 with as much as 90,000. Financially it doesn't make any sense.

Pride lost their TV contract and that was the end. Pride fell apart because of the "finances." If Dana could get a TV contract going over their, he has one with Spike and Versus here, he would be in better shape.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #22   6/21/07 5:53:03PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2