Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC on ESPN?

Print  
Posted By Message

punisherind

MMA Regular

punisherind Avatar

Career:781-433
Camp: Snatch As Snatch Can
Chips:
"Picture this: You’re watching your nightly dose of “SportsCenter” and the Top 10 plays are ticking down:

# No. 3: Another dunk that looks slightly better than the dunk that logged in at No. 5.
# No. 2: Another home run that looked a lot like the one that left the park at No. 6.
# No. 1: Chuck Liddell pounding unmercifully on some poor guy’s face before the ref finally pulls him off.

Huh?

That’s right. ESPN may soon hop on the UFC bandwagon."

read the rest of the article here:

http://sports.bostonherald.com/ufc/view.bg?articleid=179549&format=&page=1

Last edited 1/29/07 3:56PM server time by punisherind
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   1/29/07 3:55:21PM   

BloodandTears

Standup Guy

BloodandTears Avatar

Career:322-195
Camp: duXup
Chips:
Nice, I think we knew it would come sooner or later.. Good info, something that needs to be done.

Post #2   1/29/07 4:28:54PM   

dcox86

Learning to Sprawl

dcox86 Avatar

Career:190-104
Camp: Team Tapout
Chips:
wouldnt surprise me if it gets done in the next 6 months or so

Post #3   1/29/07 4:59:06PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,967-1,114
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by punisherind

"Picture this: You’re watching your nightly dose of “SportsCenter” and the Top 10 plays are ticking down:

# No. 3: Another dunk that looks slightly better than the dunk that logged in at No. 5.
# No. 2: Another home run that looked a lot like the one that left the park at No. 6.
# No. 1: Chuck Liddell pounding unmercifully on some poor guy’s face before the ref finally pulls him off.

Huh?

That’s right. ESPN may soon hop on the UFC bandwagon."

read the rest of the article here:

http://sports.bostonherald.com/ufc/view.bg?articleid=179549&format=&page=1

Thanks for pasting that link. This would be the straw hat broke MMA out mainstream. Chuck was on Colin Cowherd's ESPN radio show a week before the Tito fight and Colin said much the same thing Dana did. That they are having tons of meetings on what to do on the UFC , but that there are still some ignorant people who think it's hyper violent. He said that even if it was hyper violent, ESPN would give in soon because of the UFC's popularity with 18-34 year old males. He aslo pointed out that ESPN has their boxing guys , who are threatened by the UFC.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #4   1/29/07 6:05:27PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
It's about damn time. I hope they don't use all the restrictions they have on boxing ppv's, though, no HL's etc... I guess I manage to get my MMA info one way or the other anyhow, but you can't argue that this would be great for the sport.

I would assume since the interview was quoting Dana, that they would only cover the UFC. It's just too bad that more American fans can't be exposed to overseas talent.

“Pride is our big competition and I’m out there trying to lock up their big talent as soon as their contracts with them are over. I want them in the UFC.”

******* Well, maybe Dana can pull it off?

Post #5   1/29/07 8:15:28PM   

punisherind

MMA Regular

punisherind Avatar

Career:781-433
Camp: Snatch As Snatch Can
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Thanks for pasting that link. This would be the straw hat broke MMA out mainstream. Chuck was on Colin Cowherd's ESPN radio show a week before the Tito fight and Colin said much the same thing Dana did. That they are having tons of meetings on what to do on the UFC , but that there are still some ignorant people who think it's hyper violent. He said that even if it was hyper violent, ESPN would give in soon because of the UFC's popularity with 18-34 year old males. He aslo pointed out that ESPN has their boxing guys , who are threatened by the UFC.

no prob bro. and i agree that espn will take mma to the mainstream. although its pretty damn close with hbo and showtime!

Post #6   1/30/07 7:24:50PM   

Kameleon

MMA Regular

Kameleon Avatar

Career:210-115
Chips:
Hope they get something done. That would get the UFC more exposure and pretty much benefit everyone involved. I say it's about time.

Post #7   1/31/07 11:17:06PM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
Before Spike TV started showing Unleashed and all there UFC programming, Fox Sports would occasionally show UFC bouts.

Post #8   2/1/07 2:46:52AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by crimethinc

Before Spike TV started showing Unleashed and all there UFC programming, Fox Sports would occasionally show UFC bouts.

Yeah they replayed Chuck/Tito 1, Chuck/ Tiger White one day when I was flipping through the channels.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #9   2/1/07 2:54:14AM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
That would be great for MMA to gain more exposure. But hopefully if they do, they won't just show all brutal knockouts, because then more writers would be able to say that its a human cockfight and how dangerous it is blah blah blah.

Post #10   2/1/07 4:01:31PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by fedorwins1

That would be great for MMA to gain more exposure. But hopefully if they do, they won't just show all brutal knockouts, because then more writers would be able to say that its a human cockfight and how dangerous it is blah blah blah.

It's mostly the old time boxing guys that are the problem. Especially the ones that make their living be a "boxing expert". They see the writing on the wall and know that when MMA stops being held back it will bury boxing. MMA already beat's the PPV numbrs on any fight not involving De La Hoya .It's a shame because I like boxing as well, but he constant corruption and politicking has ruined it. Hopefully MMA won't go down this road. Still, where theirs money to be made, somebody will always try to take advantage.

The Iron Code

Post #11   2/1/07 8:43:42PM