Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Disappointed with Nate the Great

Print  
Posted By Message

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
Overall I can't say that I'm disappointed with his performance as he really dominated the stand-up, stuffed all of Listers TD attempts and even scored a few takedowns of his own.

I'm just very disappointed with his mindset going in. I've never seen someone stall as purposely as he did on the ground. Big John, knowing that these two aren't famous for their excitement saw Nates tactic and almost immediately stood them up.

If not for Big John I'd think we would have ourselves a real lackluster fight.
And don't get me wrong, I love ground fighting... but that wasn't fighting. That was one man trying to find a space on an experienced athlete who only held on and played it safe.

I think Nate chickened a little too much on the ground. There's one thing to respect someones game but that was just terrible. He barely threw a serious punch during the whole time he was in Listers guard.

Okay he almost knocked Lister out standing above him one time but that was only after he had rocked him and as soon as Lister was on his way closing the guard, he just sat down and played it safe.

He has great GnP .... I don't know what the hell he was doing in that fight. If he continues to not take any risks he's gonna at least lose a big fan in me.

Post #1   1/29/07 2:30:41PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Chips:
Not a single bastard who disagrees with me? That would be a first.

Post #2   1/29/07 2:57:14PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
Start of, great thread content well thought out wish we could see more threads like this one.

I haven't seen the fight yet but I can appreciate Nate's approach to the fight. As much as you would expect him to after the Salaverry fight to take it up a notch, trading with Lister on the ground is a bad idea, very easy to caught by someone with the skills and credentials that Lister holds.

Saying that wasn't this fight not even shown on TV but kept on the undercard? I myself would not risk anything that I need not against such a decent opponent and i'm many others would not too, especially knowing that the fight would not even be seen by a mainstream audience.

Also don't forget Nate's strengths are on the ground he is a submission stud and has subbed some top guys Sudo, Almeida, Edwards, and those are only the well known names. Saying that he's never going to sub Lister in a million rounds, he's top notch on the ground and a real step above even someone as great as Nate.

That's the best explanation I could give without seeing the fight for myself but i'd expect that's the reasoning behind your ponderings.

Nice thread
nate

Post #3   1/29/07 3:09:07PM   

Infused

MMA Regular

Infused Avatar

Career:373-253
Chips:
I havn't watched the fight yet. Is there a place where i can?

Post #4   1/29/07 3:09:41PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Chips:
Thanks for the replies and compliments. You can watch it through UFC-on-demand..... if you're a good citizen.

Post #5   1/29/07 3:30:50PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,902-1,070
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think the reason you're not getting more of a response is just because not many people saw the fight as Nate pointed out. Hopefully, it will be shown on unleashed. I haven't seen the fight either .

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #6   1/29/07 6:43:53PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I think the reason you're not getting more of a response is just because not many people saw the fight as Nate pointed out. Hopefully, it will be shown on unleashed. I haven't seen the fight either .

okay. a bit of bad timing from my side then

Post #7   1/29/07 6:47:38PM