Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

BEST GRAPPLER ON MMA TODAY

Print  
BEST GRAPPLER TODAY IN MMA
ANTONIO RODRIGO NOGUEIRA 17 28%
SAKURABA 1 2%
GENKI SUDO 5 8%
BJ. PENN 19 31%
FABRICIO WERDUM 6 10%
OTHERS... 13 21%
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

swazymaq

Learning to Sprawl

swazymaq Avatar

Career:6-3
Camp: The American hillbilly
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

Posted by swazymaq

I reckon yall never heard of Shinya Aoki? He is number 1

i do believe he is more BJJ

BJJ is a Grappling art.

BJJ=Grappling

Post #31   1/30/07 3:18:16PM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
many others could have been included and have a legitimate argument. i think nogueira is still the best right now even if you change the list to include others.

Post #32   1/30/07 9:46:19PM   

Tito74

Learning to Sprawl

Tito74 Avatar

Career:366-205
Chips:
Dont sleep on Aoki, his submission victories have been impressive.

Post #33   1/31/07 3:31:19AM   

Sinical

Learning to Sprawl

Sinical Avatar

Career:367-257
Chips:
Roger Gracie

Post #34   1/31/07 2:23:42PM   

SICKRICK

Banned

Career:29-13
Chips:
DAMN ALYSSA MILANO IS HOT AS HELL!!!!! nice pic

Post #35   1/31/07 3:16:57PM   

--Hinch--

Probably a terrorist.

--Hinch-- Avatar

Career:73-56
Camp: Platinum Mafia
Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

Fedor gets my vote, see Hippy's post for the reasons. For those bashing Hughes, he out-grappled Royce. Enough said.

I can't quite recall Royce's BJJ achievements...

Or what merit you get for out-grappling an old man...

Hughes is a fantastic wrestler, but should not be mentioned in the same breath as PDP, Roger, Jacare, Aoki, Werdum, Nog or Penn.

Post #36   2/1/07 6:02:27AM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,663-1,009
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by --Hinch--

Hughes is a fantastic wrestler, but should not be mentioned in the same breath as PDP, Roger, Jacare, Aoki, Werdum, Nog or Penn.

Of Hughes' 40 wins, 18 are submission wins. He is more than a wrestler and he should be mentioned with those you mentioned. Didn't he beat Penn, on the ground no less?

Post #37   2/1/07 6:10:24AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by ac_gi

Posted by --Hinch--

Of Hughes' 40 wins, 18 are submission wins. He is more than a wrestler and he should be mentioned with those you mentioned. Didn't he beat Penn, on the ground no less?

i agree, he has greatly improved his subs and sub defense since the first loss to BJ

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #38   2/1/07 6:15:49AM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,663-1,009
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Matt Hughes also competed in the 2000 ADCC. He did very well subbing Jeremy Horn and lost to Jeff Monson by points in the semi-finals. I assume he didn't cut down to make his weight class. That's in 2000, he only got better.

Post #39   2/1/07 6:32:20AM   

--Hinch--

Probably a terrorist.

--Hinch-- Avatar

Career:73-56
Camp: Platinum Mafia
Chips:

Posted by ac_gi

Posted by --Hinch--

Didn't Penn seperate a rib, triangling Hughes?

Of those 18 submissions, how many were due to strikes?

In 2000, the qualification process for ADCC was still not in place. the invites were to MMA stars and other famous grapplers (i.e. Gracies.) To beat his own teammate in Horn is still open to speculation, and to beat Monson, who back then was unranked in BJJ, and at LHW rather than heavyweight now, is not as special as people seem to believe.

Put Hughes in ADCC 2007, at his own weight class, and he'd be the victim of Garcia, Aoki Shaolin etc.

Post #40   2/1/07 7:23:17AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:

Posted by --Hinch--

Posted by roadking95th

Fedor gets my vote, see Hippy's post for the reasons. For those bashing Hughes, he out-grappled Royce. Enough said.

My bad, I guess Royce sucks as a grappler and is an old man, so that knocks Hughes down a few spots for dominating him on the ground. I guess we better knock Jacare down a few spots for only drawing with an older man in Couture.

Is Hughes the best? No. I am just saying give the man some respect and you did just a little. I am tired of "grapplers of slamming wrestlers by saying, oh he is a good "wrestler", but I am a little biased myself as I am a wrestler.

As far as how many of Hughes submissions are from strikes on the ground, if the question is "Who is the best grappler in MMA today", I think we need to look at the question as being the best grappler in reference to the forum it is posted, the "the Pride and UFC forum", where strikes are allowed, you have to count the strikes as well. This is my logic in picking Fedor.

that is one long run on sentence

Last edited 2/1/07 2:36PM server time by roadking95th
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #41   2/1/07 2:34:01PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

Posted by --Hinch--

Posted by roadking95th

My bad, I guess Royce sucks as a grappler and is an old man, so that knocks Hughes down a few spots for dominating him on the ground. I guess we better knock Jacare down a few spots for only drawing with an older man in Couture.

Is Hughes the best? No. I am just saying give the man some respect and you did just a little. I am tired of "grapplers of slamming wrestlers by saying, oh he is a good "wrestler", but I am a little biased myself as I am a wrestler.

As far as how many of Hughes submissions are from strikes on the ground, if the question is "Who is the best grappler in MMA today", I think we need to look at the question as being the best grappler in reference to the forum it is posted, the "the Pride and UFC forum", where strikes are allowed, you have to count the strikes as well. This is my logic in picking Fedor.

that is one long run on sentence

Well said, and on a side note ,if their was an english teacher grading our pots I would flunk miserably also.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #42   2/1/07 8:31:40PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3