Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

78,000 People Apply For One Way Trip To Mars

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Just to add to what SmileR is saying. Indeed, it is only a matter of time until some will be living on Mars. And unless you're a billionaire, you probably won't get that chance.

This operation is simply an experiment which is why it is opened to the public. When Mars or the base(s) in Mars is fully capable of sustaining life, you can guarantee only the wealthiest and most important people on earth will have the opportunity to live there. The rest of us will just have to watch and see if a gigantic meteor will wipe us out.

Post #16   5/14/13 4:13:16PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,311-1,280
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I thought I already lived on Mars...people at work can be so strange.

Where is your pioneering spirit, people? I bet they all joked about the Pilgrims coming to the new land as being crazy!

"Ha, I bet Jedidiah and Sarah will be dead in a week! They hardly know how to plough a field let alone start a new colony!"

Think of these 78K as the new pilgrims. Looking to start a new world for us after Zuffa has taken over every MMA promotion on Earth. There has to be at least one MMA fighter in the 78K. They can start a new show called "The Universal Fighter" and refer to it as "TUF Mars" or something.

Post #17   5/14/13 5:30:23PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,585-904
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i'd make a good pioneer, but not in space. fuck that shit. there's no turning around & changing your mind if you realize you cant handle it & ive been known to get claustrophobic from time to time. now if they had a way to put me to sleep & let me wake up on Mars......i'd be down for that, as long as it doesnt end up like Pandorum

Post #18   5/14/13 6:00:39PM   

VILLIN

Human/Sloth Hybrid

VILLIN Avatar

Career:1,883-1,079
Chips:
I hate to be the negative Nancy in all this but everything about this venture seems ill conceived, poorly planned and wildly unrealistic. The launch system has never been tested, the $6B seems hopelessly low to even get the mission off the ground and the assumption that a crew with highly specialized skills is less important than social skills blows my mind.

I'm all for a more aggressive approach to space exploration but suicidal lunacy like this is not the way to go. We need to be thinking of multistage unmanned builds, robotic surveys for environmental testing and establishing a method of generating resources from the alien environment before sending people. This isn't like colonial expansion was here on earth. Moons, asteroids and other planets in our solar system have environments totally hostile to humanoid life. Establishing a habitat, testing the viability of that habitat and establishing renewable resources are all necessary prerequisites for colonization.

Post #19   5/14/13 6:43:00PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Like Villin said, this idea is nuts. What they should do is send chimps first but animal rights activists won't have that... I'm on the fence when it comes to animal testing. I'm all for testing on rats and smaller rodents but when it comes to more intelligent species like chimps - I'm on the fence.

Post #20   5/15/13 1:32:53AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

I thought I already lived on Mars...people at work can be so strange.

Where is your pioneering spirit, people? I bet they all joked about the Pilgrims coming to the new land as being crazy!

"Ha, I bet Jedidiah and Sarah will be dead in a week! They hardly know how to plough a field let alone start a new colony!"

Think of these 78K as the new pilgrims. Looking to start a new world for us after Zuffa has taken over every MMA promotion on Earth. There has to be at least one MMA fighter in the 78K. They can start a new show called "The Universal Fighter" and refer to it as "TUF Mars" or something.

Thats what I was thinking. Columbus and Ragnar Lothbrok were both told there were no lands to the west.

Post #21   5/15/13 9:58:47AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

I don't know about Jeb or Sarah, but Jane was cannibalized shortly after Jamestown was settled. brains

Post #22   5/15/13 11:01:11AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Chips:
To even understand what the fuck this is about is absurd.

Our planet is going to send a crew (note no numbers) to another planet to live there? What happens if one has a baby have they recolonized on another planet? You gotta expect someone to not be right in the head.

How many people are you sending out there? Plus.. How many times have we successfully landed on the surface of Mars? Compare that to the number of times we haven't. Even if we get the people there successfully what happens when they need food or supplies? It takes about what 18 months to get shit over there.... We'd have to send food supplies every week just incase one mislands or something and that's all expensive. You have 1 flight out there and loads more after that just to keep them maintained.

I love the idea and i love how crazy it is but so many people applying can not even contemplate how fucking crazy this project is.

The best way to sort this is to send "x" amount of people out now and send "x" amount of people out after a couple of years just so the first lot don't go completely insane. All I can hope is I get to see this in my lifetime though.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #23   5/15/13 11:16:11AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Chips:
If It's for euthanasia purposes, we could just tell them it's a launch and then gas them before blast-off? Project wouldn't cost more than $100k or so instead of six billion.

Post #24   5/15/13 12:58:12PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,311-1,280
Chips:
lol...at the cannibalism article. Made me think of the movie "Alive". Gruesome, but I could see it happening.

Jay has a good idea about staggering the "colonizers" (if you will), that would make good sense and limit the losses. It would give scientists/engineers time to learn from past mistakes. Could you imagine arriving as the second batch of folks and discovering the first batch is all dead....sounds like a movie....

Post #25   5/15/13 3:48:42PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2