Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

White: 'No idea' if UFC 154's Hendricks-Kampmann winner up next for title

Print  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:860-491
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
That upcoming No. 1 contender's bout may not be one after all.

Today, UFC President Dana White said he's not sure if UFC 154's co-headliner between Johny Hendricks (13-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) and Martin Kampmann (20-5 MMA, 11-4 UFC) will earn the winner a welterweight title shot, as the organization previously announced.

That's because UFC 154's headliner, welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, could temporarily leave the division for a blockbuster matchup.

With the uncertainty of those plans, White isn't sure if Hendricks-Kampmann is a true No. 1 contender's bout.

"I have no idea," he said. "I have no idea. We have to see how this thing plays out.

"Like I tell everybody, people are asking me, 'Is the Anderson Silva fight happening next?' Well, [St-Pierre] needs to beat Carlos Condit first. And like I said earlier, people are overlooking Carlos Condit, and that's a bad idea."

White said even with a win over St-Pierre, Condit wouldn't be on that same level. And that could be a good thing for Hendricks and Kampmann, who, barring an immediate rematch between Condit and St-Pierre, could be up next for a shot at Condit's belt.

"Carlos Condit ... will defend the title against who's next (if he beats St-Pierre)," White said.

LINK

Post #1   11/7/12 4:47:48PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
Good. Stop promising multiple people title shots to boost numbers. I have been fooled many times...

Post #2   11/7/12 5:18:32PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,419-820
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Winner gets Brock.

I liked how DW starts talking Andy v GSP super fight. Then turns around and says 'I don't know why people are sleeping on Carlos'

The irony is extra ironic.

Post #3   11/7/12 5:41:10PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Few months ago Dana said for sure title shot
Now no idea. Once again the fighters are duped
I honestly think win or lose gsp will face Silva next
My guess it will be soon asap probably march Dallas

Post #4   11/7/12 5:51:05PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
The title shot probably goes to someone else in another weight class.

Post #5   11/7/12 6:07:10PM   

JackHammerXXX

MMA Regular

JackHammerXXX Avatar

Career:1,936-1,238
Chips:
Blinded by the lights
If you're Dana, and the UFC How could you not want this matchup booked?! Does it logjam the division? Of course, but are we going to complain that much? Hell no.

Idk who I'm settling on winning this fight, but I believe the winner either fights Diaz when he gets back, or a Penn/Macdonald winner possibly before a title shot manifests itself. -metallica song title-
Lot of quality matchups in this division by the way. Strong as ever

Post #6   11/7/12 6:51:31PM