Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Former UFC title challenger Jake Shields considering return to welterweight

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Jake is not a super athletic guy. His takedowns are based off of timing, technical ability, and persistence in the clinch than something like the cannonball shot of a Josh Koscheck. His TDD is also not the best ever - it's solid, right, and he knows how to sweep, but he doesn't have this ridiculous Machida sumo / judo base.

That's not fighter bashing - he's just a guy who's generally relied on BJJ technique and heart than wrestling speed or power.

Post #16   11/8/12 11:11:26AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

Posted by jjeans

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

Posted by prozacnation1978

You guys are too nice.

Shields has been absolutely terrible in the Ufc
And I am a shields fan.

I agree. In the UFC u need to be well rounded to be anywhere near the top and shields ain't nowhere near well rounded. His stand up is almost laughable and his wrestling stinks. The only thing he's good at is his jits.

I wouldn't say his wrestling stinks

Ill assume that was a joke...

I have to admit my memory is shit, but I don't remember him ever impressing me with anything but his jits. But like I said I could be mistaking.

He has effective MMA takedowns for sure, he's just been a raisin in the UFC

Post #17   11/8/12 1:20:36PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2