Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Should Election Day be a national holiday?

Print  
Should Election Day be a national holiday?
Yes 13 54%
No 8 33%
Don't care 3 13%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Svartorm

My answer is no, and here's why.

I like the idea that you actually have to go out of your way to vote. You have to plan ahead to some extent, and can easily fill out an absentee ballot if you know you won't be able to vote on election day. If someone can't figure this out, I don't think their vote should count towards something that affects the rest of us.

A crazy statistic I saw years ago was that rain actually dramatically cuts the amount of people that come out to vote. If you're too afraid of rain to voice an opinion that could shape the direction of a nation, I'd be thrilled if you didn't vote at all.

While I agree many people in this country are apathetic towards politics, I don't think you are correct here.

The idea of making it more difficult and bureaucratic to vote defeats the purpose of voting being our most basic, fundamental right as an American citizen. A national holiday wouldn't simply give everyone an excuse to vote, it would give us a reason to celebrate the ability to vote, which we should be doing. Many people don't vote because it can be a huge pain in the ass if you have a crazy work schedule, or strenuous family obligations. I understand your logic, that these are the types of people who shouldn't vote because they don't really know what they are voting for to begin with, but that logic goes against the concept of a democracy, where everyone has a voice, not just those in the know.

If we were to celebrate our rights, like we do for the 4th of July, or Labor Day, that will make people more conscious of their rights, and give them more time to think and reflect on their opportunity.

I think a national holiday would be a great idea.

Lets not kid ourselves. It would give folks a drinking holiday, and the same people that don't vote now wouldn't vote then either.

For something to have value to you, it has to require something from you. The fact that you actually have to schedule time to vote means your vote has substance and should be counted. Keep in mind that back when this country was founded, you'd have to travel miles and miles on foot to vote. The process, much like everything else in our lives since the foundation of this country was laid out, has become much easier. The process of voting today is pathetically easy in comparison, and I don't see making it even easier being a remedy for anything.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #16   10/6/12 9:01:17PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,146-1,245
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't think it should be a holiday. You should be able to get your votes in at some point.

Last edited 10/6/12 9:39PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   10/6/12 9:33:35PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by warglory

Posted by Svartorm

My answer is no, and here's why.

I like the idea that you actually have to go out of your way to vote. You have to plan ahead to some extent, and can easily fill out an absentee ballot if you know you won't be able to vote on election day. If someone can't figure this out, I don't think their vote should count towards something that affects the rest of us.

A crazy statistic I saw years ago was that rain actually dramatically cuts the amount of people that come out to vote. If you're too afraid of rain to voice an opinion that could shape the direction of a nation, I'd be thrilled if you didn't vote at all.

While I agree many people in this country are apathetic towards politics, I don't think you are correct here.

The idea of making it more difficult and bureaucratic to vote defeats the purpose of voting being our most basic, fundamental right as an American citizen. A national holiday wouldn't simply give everyone an excuse to vote, it would give us a reason to celebrate the ability to vote, which we should be doing. Many people don't vote because it can be a huge pain in the ass if you have a crazy work schedule, or strenuous family obligations. I understand your logic, that these are the types of people who shouldn't vote because they don't really know what they are voting for to begin with, but that logic goes against the concept of a democracy, where everyone has a voice, not just those in the know.

If we were to celebrate our rights, like we do for the 4th of July, or Labor Day, that will make people more conscious of their rights, and give them more time to think and reflect on their opportunity.

I think a national holiday would be a great idea.

Lets not kid ourselves. It would give folks a drinking holiday, and the same people that don't vote now wouldn't vote then either.

For something to have value to you, it has to require something from you. The fact that you actually have to schedule time to vote means your vote has substance and should be counted. Keep in mind that back when this country was founded, you'd have to travel miles and miles on foot to vote. The process, much like everything else in our lives since the foundation of this country was laid out, has become much easier. The process of voting today is pathetically easy in comparison, and I don't see making it even easier being a remedy for anything.

You had to walk/ride/carriage your way to anywhere in the country back then, whether you were voting or not, so I am not sure how comparing the limited transportation methods of 18th century America to now is relevant, especially considering modern day American's lives are infinitely more complicated than they were 250 years ago. Not to mention, as you have also previously mentioned, most Americans didn't have the right to vote at that time anyway.

You are perhaps right that many people would drink/bbq if it was a holiday, but voter turnout would be far higher than it would be otherwise. Memorial Day is an excuse for many to hang out in their backyards and BBQ, but there are also millions of Americans who attend parades and other events to reflect on the meaning of that holiday, so I am fairly certain many folks would take advantage of a holiday, to go out and vote.

Post #18   10/8/12 1:54:23PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2