Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC’s Popularity No Surprise

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
The days of settling into the same old, stodgy, stagnant lifestyle are over.The world moves on and we all better move on with it.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   5/27/07 10:05:57AM   

Near07

MMA Regular

Near07 Avatar

Career:2,004-1,466
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
"This relatively new mixed martial arts sport — contested in a caged octagonal ring — allegedly is the next big thing."

"Allegedly" It is the next big thing!!

"Kids used to bring fists to school and now they bring firearms. Grown men used to bring gloves into the ring and now they bring fists, martial arts and wrestling moves."

I'm pretty sure grown men are still bringing "gloves"

"Why not attack a guy when he’s down?"(“Don’t hit a man when he’s down” used to be sacred. All the Ultimate Fighting clips I have seen include one guy punching another guy who’s flat on the mat.)"

U make it sound like they are helpless even though the ground is where most of there training is.

"Not that Ultimate Fighting is unfair. Combatants do play by the rules. It’s just that the rules have changed.
They’ll keep changing, too, and extremely. You see, Ultimate Fighting really is just a trend.
Weaponry is the next, next big thing — pay-per-view knife fights, then pay-per-view gunfights, then pay-per-view world wars."

If the rules have changed, they have changed for the better...As for the pay-per- view gunfights and world wars, we already get that for free on CNN, the UFC is far from just a trend, it is here to stay. All these articles against the ufc sound the exact same, making it sound more brutal than it is!! I think these people should try watching a ufc event (present day), as this guy even admits he will be sleeping and not watching!! lol

Post #2   5/27/07 10:45:11AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
hopefully these uninformed garbage articles will stop soon now that the sport is becoming mainstream. How is kicking someone barbaric while punching someone in the face for 45 minutes constitutes a beautiful dance? These arguments that one combat sport is so much more brutal than another are so stupid. "Well it's ok to hit people with your HANDS... but hitting them with your knees? you are a ******* ANIMAL!!!"

Post #3   5/27/07 1:06:11PM   

mictlantechutli

MMA Regular

mictlantechutli Avatar

Career:660-408
Chips:
I'm getting really sick of the mainstream media portrayal of MMA. These antiquated sports writers need to get their heads out of the sand.

Post #4   5/27/07 2:42:28PM   

Vietnamese_Guy

Standup Guy

Vietnamese_Guy Avatar

Career:198-109
Camp: Shogun Academy
Chips:
don't worry, they'll all be dead within 10 years anyways. Its just some old vagina faced geezers bemoaning the death of their beloved boxing empire.

never liked boxing, always found it so boring. It consisted of 10 5 minute rounds of someone punching someone else, not appealing to me.

Post #5   5/27/07 4:20:58PM   

DepDawg

Learning to Sprawl

Career:60-31
Chips:
What some people don't get is that it's not about the UFC. It's about MMA.

The guy had weak arguments. I'll most likely be a boxing fan for life. But a lot of boxing proponents are hurting boxing (not MMA) by coming out with these ridiculous blogs and articles that convey MMA in a negative light. I can see why they do it though. They are still making money off the sport of boxing. And when that steady source of income and their job securtiy is threatened, this is all they can do. They will of course milk it until then end.

Post #6   5/27/07 8:30:15PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,949-1,115
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
One of the most biased, idiotic articles I've ever read. There are a group of British boxing writers that need to be fired pronto if the papers they write for want to have any credibility.

Post #7   5/28/07 1:05:56AM