Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Boxing resorts to low blows attacking UFC

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Apparently, it's time to take a side.

The Floyd Mayweather-Oscar De La Hoya fight this Saturday has turned into boxing's last stand, and the sport is declaring war on mixed martial arts.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   5/4/07 6:44:09PM   

MisFiT

In Full Mount

Career:33-24
Chips:
Not what it should be about but hey, if its what they want then they'll get it. MMA fa show.

Post #2   5/4/07 7:13:31PM   

DevMahon

MMA Regular

DevMahon Avatar

Career:779-401
Chips:
This is getting ridiculous. Why is it that the success of the UFC (or its failure) has to have a direct impact on boxing? Why can't they coexist. With this CBSSportsline guy (Mike Freeman?) running around, talking about the war of between boxing and the UFC, it's becoming almost biblical.

Yes, mma (and the UFC, in particular) are doing well right now while boxing is struggling, but I'm not entirely convinced that the two are totally connected. I mean, boxing was doing badly before the UFC blew up in the mainstream. Boxing has lost almost all of its marketable stars (De La Hoya is the only one hanging on, and he's getting old), and it has suffered for years from bad marketing and production. These things have NOTHING to do with mma.

The idea that boxing needs to resurrect itself so it can destroy "the evil mma" is utterly ridiculous. If the public had a sudden renewal in its interest of boxing, would they forget about mma? I doubt it. I just don't get where these ideas are coming from.

Post #3   5/4/07 7:32:19PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:
At least this guy knows whats up....Good read

Post #4   5/4/07 8:22:42PM