Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gonzaga Still Celebrating Victory

Print  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
Gabriel Gonzaga (Pictures) was the protagonist of one of the greatest surprises this year when he knocked out Mirko Filipovic (Pictures) in the main event at UFC 70. The Brazilian, however, was not surprised by his own performance.

Link

Last edited 5/1/07 10:03PM server time by MMA
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   5/1/07 7:03:20PM   

CharlieBrown

Learning to Sprawl

CharlieBrown Avatar

Career:86-56
Chips:
Let's get real here, and let's speak the truth:

Cro-Cop is NOT AT ALL entitled to any kind of a title shot until he proves that he intends to fight.

He did NOTHING that whole fight. All he did was back-up, back-up, back-up, retreat, retreat, retreat, get taken down, get elbowed, elbowed, elbowed, elbowed, --then, he got the gift of a referee stand-up which he did not earn, and then he got his ******* head kicked-off.

No way does this guy deserve a title shot for A LONG TIME.

Period.

I don't care who he faces next, but it better not be a title shot and it better not be a Main Event, because he has not earned it, and there a bunch of guys who have done a whole lot more to earn it and deserve it a whole lot more than Cro-Cop does, and that is ******* plain to see.

He's got some things to prove in the UFC, first.

Obviously.

I don't expect anybody to give me props for this (unless you can see the truth as I see it) but for those of you who love to ride this guys jock, I'm telling you that even you, deep down, you KNOW I speak the pure truth here.

Cro-Cop better plan on bringing a whole lot more game than that, or he's gonna end-up being the ******* laughing-stock joke of the UFC... of which he is already halfway there.

One more performance like that and he's not gonna have much of a career left to speak of.

Oh, and as far as Gonzanga is concerned, you better get used to seeing him around: the guy has won more BJJ tournaments at the Black Belt level -- and I'm talking about IN Brazil, where the talent level is extremely high -- you do know he was a BJJ World Champion, right...?

You haven't seen it yet, but that guy has some major MAJOR game on the mat.

Get used to seeing Gonzanga around, thread starter.

He ain't going anywhere but up.

[edit]

By the way, check my betting history. I picked Gonzanga over Cro-Cop and wagered that pick, as well.

NINE TIMES.

Last edited 5/1/07 7:22PM server time by CharlieBrown
2 total post edits

Post #2   5/1/07 7:15:00PM   

mizike

Learning to Sprawl

mizike Avatar

Career:546-344
Chips:
Well charlie u have some learning to do as well. Crocop is an established fighter with serious wins and fights on his record. IF u have followed his carreer at all or any fighters for that matter, people get ktfo, even the best of em. IT was gonzagas time that night, crocop wasnt used to elbows and should have trained for elbows, it wont happen again I guarantee that. Crocop needs to beat arlovskis ass or tim sylvias ass then he should be ok to finish out a title fight against gonzaga or randy. I doubt gonzaga will even get past randy, but we will see. Take nothing away from gonzaga he was stupidly underestimated by most fans, but he is not a great all around ufc fighter by any means. on a jj fight only yea pretty good, full contact full rules nahhh he can be beat easy by crocop, randy or arlovski and many others, it was just not a good night for crocop and it happened to crocop a couple times in his career, but he has had many great fights, kos wins and stood with the best in fedor to a decision, so give credit where credit is due, he is that good and does deserve a title shot.

Post #3   5/1/07 7:21:03PM   

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
in the words of gonzaga
"o everyone fights you know,
everyone tries to win,
but one time or another everybody lose"

so yea "charliebrown" go look up mirko filipovic or start watching pride

Last edited 5/1/07 7:31PM server time by aznteabagger
2 total post edits

Post #4   5/1/07 7:22:24PM   

xthe_scottx

In Full Mount

Career:342-173
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
I disagree that he has not paid his dues. In PRIDE he beat the top competition with his only losses being Fedor, Hunt and Nogueira (avenged his loss against Randleman so I didn't count it and Fedor was the only really decisive win) while amassing a HL reel few can compete with. Gonzaga just simply did exactly what he needed to do to win this. He took Cro Cop down, threw elbows which Mirko has never faced before and also set up a High Kick with a Kick to the body early on. People need to stop saying his fight with Gonzaga showed how terrible of a fighter Cro Cop is because this isn't true. This fight simply showed how good Gonzaga is. He came in with a great game plan and executed it by taking Mirko to the ground while keeping a few others tricks up his sleeve.

In conclusion, a thumbs up to Gonzaga for an impressive and intelligently fought win and a thumbs down to those who say Cro Cop hasn't paid his dues just because of one loss.

Post #5   5/1/07 7:34:26PM   

chentay2112

MMA Regular

chentay2112 Avatar

Career:63-46
Camp: We're #1
Chips:
can i just say i think gonzaga should milk this win....
this has put him on the map and ufc fans will take notice now whether or not you thought he was gonna win
(i picked crocop by the way)
he dominated one of the best MMA fighters at the moment and i say well done to him and i also thought in that article he was very respectful to both crocop and randy
so congratulations and good luck to him

Post #6   5/1/07 7:49:25PM   

Polynikes

Learning to Sprawl

Polynikes Avatar

Career:504-256
Chips:
Fedor was the only really decisive win?

An armbar does nothing for you eh?

Post #7   5/1/07 7:59:04PM   

xthe_scottx

In Full Mount

Career:342-173
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:

Posted by Polynikes

When you dominate the stand up of the first round and the only reason the guy makes it to the second round is the bell, I wouldn't exactly call that winning. I not taking anything away from Rodrigo Nogueira but Cro Cop was predominately winning before he was submitted.

Post #8   5/1/07 8:14:51PM   

hcazlekker

Banned

Career:34-26
Chips:
Agreed, thumbs up to Gonzaga for executing a well thought out plan to counter Mirko's particular style.

As many other posters have stated before though, look at Mirko's fights, go over his record. Even after his loss to Gonzaga, Mirko still remains higher in the top 10 HW rankings, and for ample reason. Mirko has performed extremely well against several top ranking HWs and 205ers and has beaten the following in a convincing fashion;

Kazuyuki Fujita x2
Kazushi Sakuraba
Heath Herring
Igor Vovchanchyn
Ron Waterman
Hiromitsu Kanehara
Aleksander Emelianko
Josh Barnett x3
Mark Coleman
Hideko Yoshida
Wanderlei Silva

This list does not include Mirko's K-1 bouts.

Gonzaga is 8-1 and still a little wet behind the ears. No disrespect towards Gonzaga. He has a lot of potential and has the talent for working an opponent's game.

I try to refrain from making excuses for fighters, but imo, Mirko -did not- fight Gonzaga. Mirko's head was not in the game. It was obvious to everyone who has followed Mirko's career that he made almost no attempt to push the fight forward, much less defend himself. The Mirko at UFC 70 was not the same Mirko we have seen before.

Mirko will exact his revenge.

Post #9   5/1/07 8:29:16PM   

Fanboy 1988

Standup Guy

Fanboy 1988  Avatar

Career:68-49
Chips:
If I was Gonzaga I would celebrating my ass of too, it was probably one of the biggest moments of his life...

Post #10   5/1/07 9:16:41PM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:

Posted by xthe_scottx

Posted by Polynikes

When you dominate the stand up of the first round and the only reason the guy makes it to the second round is the bell, I wouldn't exactly call that winning. I not taking anything away from Rodrigo Nogueira but Cro Cop was predominately winning before he was submitted.

Okay so Cro Cop was winning the fight until he got submitted. So what. He was winning, and then he lost. If you get submitted, you lose the fight.

It doesn't really matter how many punches you connect with, or how you controled a guy for the whole fight, or if you were winning or losing the fight before you get (T)KO'ed or submitted. You lose.

Anyway, I don't think Cro Cop really has to prove anything. He has beaten a lot of tough guys. He just has to get used to elbows, the cage, and he'll be fine.

Post #11   5/2/07 11:17:49PM