Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Great Debate - Boxing vs. Mixed Martial Arts

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
The latest buzz going around the boxing world is the fear that mixed martial arts will replace boxing as the number-one combat sport in the world.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   3/10/07 9:13:08AM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
More of an even assessment than I expected from a boxing guy. I don't get how simply throwing more punches = more action. He's also obviously never seen Chuck fight (there are many others who can make a guy stand, just an ex). I'm def an ex of the younger gen he's talking about. My grandfather was a big boxing fan, I liked it (but always thought HW's were boring), and then in the mid-90's everything changed. I've always thought MMA was more exciting, and it has nothing to do with the cage (I actually prefer the ring or open mat).

Post #2   3/10/07 11:09:39AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
That's my problem with the boxing people. They want more punches thrown. They do not look at the medical problems that are caused by more punches thrown. A just read another article about a boxer you just had brain surgery to relieve the swellin due to many hits.

They refuse to look at how mach MMA is safer then boxing. Hell, his own repost talked about and he probablt didn't even realize it.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #3   3/10/07 2:15:59PM   

dstlvb

MMA Regular

dstlvb Avatar

Career:373-248
Chips:
I am in an ongoing threadat a boxing forum with boxing fans, and its amazing some of the misconceptions and outright falsehoods they have. A very interesting read

Post #4   3/10/07 9:58:00PM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
I like to think of myself as a fan of all combat sports. But I find it harder to enjoy watching boxing these days. Once mma became more accessable on free tv boxing just doesn't hold the same value for me. Especially the bigger guys (heavyweights). The lighter boxers throw more and block less and so those bouts can be more entertaining. Now whenever I am watching a boxing match I keep waiting for a knee or a leg kick. There are a few matches (boxing) that I have enjoyed watching recently. Like the last Valuev bout. That guy is a freak of nature and he crushes guys without breaking a sweat. and just a day or two ago I watch Vladamir Klitchko and Ray Austin. If you havn't seen it yet you should check it out. Klitchko knocks dude out in rd 2 and the whole fight he never threw a single right hand.

Aside from a few exciting fights, boxing is going the way of the vcr and 8 track. It will be around forever but noone will watching.

Post #5   3/12/07 3:27:13AM   

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:
i used to watch boxing, still do occasionally, but its not as exciting for me as watching mma.

Post #6   3/12/07 12:45:25PM