Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Randy Couture: Fight with Minotauro Nogueira ‘just doesn’t make sense’

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by jakeiceman

Mehh this is gettting old but I do agree in part with Couture....the whole ditching out on the contract is shit but the logic behind it is somewhat there. I disagree with everyone though, its not likely that Nog would submit Couture quite as easily as everyone thinks he will. Randy isnt known for his submissions but the guy is an insane wrestler I have full faith in the fact that this is enough to avoid a submission. I guess I am just a ignorant MMA fan but I havent seen shit from Nog that really impresses me. Maybe I should bust out some old PRIDE tapes and it might change my opinion but catching Sylvia in a submittion isnt that great of an accomplishment. I think Randy would walk through Nog and would have an excellent shot against Fedor. I would actually pick him to win it. But who cares really because it looks like its going to be a war of words for a long time. I guess we will wait and see if it makes it to a cage or not.

Nog is probably the best HW BJJ in MMA. I don't think anyones saying it would be easy to submit Randy, but Nog has the advantage on the feet and for Randy to have Nog on the ground for 5 rounds is very dangerous, it's like counting cards, every second with Nog on the ground will up your % of getting subbed.

Post #31   4/14/08 1:31:04AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
As a Randy fan this is really hard to hear and not have to rip into him!

HTF can he say it doesnt make sense when if anything it makes MORE sense than the Fedor fight, Nog is and has been #2 for a long time! So he is Randys next logical opponent, plus the style matchup is better, more intriguing

randy

Post #32   4/14/08 6:04:12AM   

DonHagliatelli

Learning to Sprawl

DonHagliatelli Avatar

Career:162-103
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Randy knows the score.

He'd lose both these fights and there is much more money in fighting Fedor first.

If he loses to Fedor he still has a match to see who the #2 is against Nog.

If he loses to Nog first then it would take some of the appeal out of the Fedor fight.

Business is business.

Post #33   4/14/08 7:05:02AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:

Posted by DonHagliatelli

Randy knows the score.

He'd lose both these fights and there is much more money in fighting Fedor first.

If he loses to Nog first then it would take some of the appeal out of the Fedor fight.

Business is business.

Post #34   4/14/08 7:59:05AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:543-400
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
I definitly understand what you are saying, and Couture is an amazing wrestler, but he has been submitted three times in his carreer by three different submission types and tapped against Ricco Rodriguez from strikes. He's definitly vunerable in those areas. That talleys up half of his losses. Big Nog is the best submission artest in the world at Heavy. Now you are also right about another thing. Nogueira does not look impressive a lot of times. Hell Tim Silvia himself said in classic Nogueira style I whipped his ass for the whole fight and then he caught me. LOL So that is very true, and with Couture's wrestling abilities he would likely be able to control Minotauro better on the ground, but truthfully Silvia didn't do a bad job at that either. Nog is a really good fighter, it's just unusual to see a submission guy who's that big. Royce Gracie used to get his ass beat all the time because he went for submission attempt after submission attempt after submission attempt, and he's considered the major pioneer of the sport ya know? People are just not used to seeing bigger guys roll around so much. I hope both fights happen, and honestly I hope Couture wins both fights and rides off into the sunset as the type of hero he was after Liddell knocked him out the second time. He has lost a great deal of respect from many of his fans for dipping out on his contract and not taking the Nogueira fight. He'll have to earn that back to have the same kind of exit again. I hope I'm not bein an ass replyin to you bud, I'm new to the forums.

Post #35   4/14/08 12:56:29PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by DonHagliatelli

Randy knows the score.

Business is business.

The purple pikachu speaks the truth.

Post #36   4/14/08 1:28:21PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Randy is trying to make promote himself as the #1 or #2 heavy-weight on the planet. I personaly believe Couture is a legend,and has proven he can beat anyone on any given day.However,with that being said,Couture (or Fedor for that matter) aren't so great that they can just negate all other competition.To say fighting Nog doesn't make sense it pure rubbish imo.Though i'm a huge fan of the guy and he's in my top ten favirotes,this is like a flashback to when Rickson Gracie refused to accept Bas Ruttens challenge (Not as dramatic but maybe some of you get what i'm saying).

I think it makes sense to see Couture fight Nog,along with Fedor fighting big Tim.Then I say we go from their.

Post #37   4/14/08 4:10:00PM   

snakeplissken

Standup Guy

snakeplissken Avatar

Career:1,747-1,230
Camp: BAMMA UK
Chips:
Enough already. Randy honour your contract or do us all a favour and go away. Thanks for the memories and all that, but as I have said many many times until you actually do something of note please stay away from the media.

The Fedor fight is unlikely to ever happen. Because by the time you get out of your UFC contract Fedor will have just signed one. Just do us all a favour and retire gracefully while we still have respect for your memory.

Post #38   4/15/08 5:03:39AM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3