Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Bisping go down to Middleweight division !!

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,266-846
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by moob

The guy has talent, I agree that he perhaps hasn't developed to the greatest degree thus far, but a great deal of that is possibly down to his lack of size in the LHW division. Let's face it, he doesn't exactly get a great deal of encouragement from the public when fighting in the US - chants of 'USA! USA!' ringing in his ears as he plies his trade. Now that's embarrassing.

Besides the TUF Finale, half of Bisbing's UFC fights have been in England... And what of the booing his opponents get over there across the pond... How enbarrassing is that?

The reason a lot of people have a certain disdain for Bisping mostly stems from the comments he made after the Hamil fight and his cocky attitude...

As a fighter, I think he can get over the USA chants, just like Anderson does or Wanderlei will... Or Cro Cop or Gonzaga or anyother fighter competing in the US that isn't from the states... It seems that he gets plenty of favor (and his opponents get the opposite) when he fights in front of his home crowd...

It's not as much that you sense that American's don't like him, I think it's the sense that we are not as enamored with him as the Brits are (rightfully so) that bugs you

He's the only decent fighter the UK has, therefore anyone who faces him in his backyard is gonna be dissed - you don't hear any chants of 'England! England!' or anything nationalistic like that, do you? So your analogy doesn't really hold. The nationalistic chants are what I feel are embarrassing, not the support.

Are you seriously trying to that Bisping is the only MMA fighter to display any degree of confidence or cockyness? Come on man, get a grip.

A great deal of the disdain apportioned towards Bisping was evident long before any such cocky comments directed towards Hamill or anyone else.

Post #31   12/15/07 6:03:38AM   

Vendetta

MMA Regular

Vendetta Avatar

Career:719-395
Camp: SSU Combat Club
Chips:
Good, 185 needs more depth.

Post #32   12/15/07 12:44:35PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by moob

He's the only decent fighter the UK has, therefore anyone who faces him in his backyard is gonna be dissed - you don't hear any chants of 'England! England!' or anything nationalistic like that, do you? So your analogy doesn't really hold. The nationalistic chants are what I feel are embarrassing, not the support.

I guess "USA...USA" just rolls off the tongue a little better or has a better cadence or whatever... what's wrong with nationalistic pride? Are you saying that cheering for the hometown fighter (Bisping) against a foreign fighter (Elvis) isn't the same thing??? It's just said differently, it's a little silly to say that they aren't comparable...

Are you seriously trying to that Bisping is the only MMA fighter to display any degree of confidence or cockyness? Come on man, get a grip.

No, I'm not trying to say that... Most people (myself included) just like humble fighters better... I've got a grip

A great deal of the disdain apportioned towards Bisping was evident long before any such cocky comments directed towards Hamill or anyone else.

I think a lot of peoples opinions were formed from the couple of months Bisping spent on a reality show... The comments after the Hamil fight just helped in solidifying the opinions

Last edited 12/17/07 11:28AM server time by pv3Hpv3p
Edit note/reason: grammer

Post #33   12/17/07 11:27:29AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,266-846
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I guess "USA...USA" just rolls off the tongue a little better or has a better cadence or whatever... what's wrong with nationalistic pride? Are you saying that cheering for the hometown fighter (Bisping) against a foreign fighter (Elvis) isn't the same thing??? It's just said differently, it's a little silly to say that they aren't comparable...

Nationalistic pride doesn't have to come into an event that is not based on nations competing, and no, showing support by cheering/chanting the fighter's name is not comparable to nationalistic chanting, because it's not nationalistic.

No, I'm not trying to say that... Most people (myself included) just like humble fighters better... I've got a grip

You state that you like the humble fighters better, yet your favourite LHW is Rampage - yeah, he's known for his modesty.

I think a lot of peoples opinions were formed from the couple of months Bisping spent on a reality show... The comments after the Hamil fight just helped in solidifying the opinions

His comments post-Hamill were perhaps unbecoming, but how many other fighters make remarks like that and get cheered - if the face (read nationality) fits etc...

It's clear we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, I feel he gets bashed a great deal, simply on the basis of his country of origin.

Post #34   12/17/07 1:33:04PM   

MMAnia07

Learning to Sprawl

MMAnia07 Avatar

Career:330-212
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:
Ever notice how Americans dont get satire or sarcasm? You dont understand the words that are coming out of his mouth yet theres a load of Hamil nuthuggers who think that he is such an unbecoming loser. Two words; Tito Ortiz. A guy who shows very little respect for anybody he fights. Never seen Mike flip another corner off.

Bisping is a good fighter who is young and can only get better.MMA is still relatively young in the UK and the English public idolises their athletes, the same way some guys like getting painted blue and yellow in a -8c Giant Stadium cheering on their team. Americans are in no position to criticise "proud British fans" Im sick of weak beer drinking rednecks chanting USA USA when i watch UFC. Its alright for the yanks to be patriotic but they get so annoyed when anyone else does it.

The guy singing your national anthem at the Hatton fight deserved to be booed. Who the hell thinks they can follow Tom Jones? Plus your anthem is about 2 minutes too long. One of the youngest countries in the world, and one of the longest anthems.

Anyway, we are all citizens of the world. It shouldnt come down to nationality. I dont have any beef with Americans, by the way, I like coca cola, I think the car is a great invention. I eat Subway. I think High School football is a good learning curve for young people moving into a professional sport. My dream holiday is to Las Vegas and i think Bill Clinton was a good reformist president (Dont vote Hilary in though). My beef is with small minded isolationist yanks who dont realise there is a world to the right of New York. Get a passport, get into another country and culture stop chanting USA USA USA . Trust me, youll make more friends that way.

Theres sarcasm in the comments above. I hope you can decipher it.

Post #35   12/17/07 3:13:59PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3