Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Xtreme Couture b*tchslaps Kevin Iole

Print  
Posted By Message

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
Randy Couture’s blog has been abuzz the past two days with lots of content direct from the source, including:

It would appear you are either peeved that Randy (rather politely) singled you out for publishing numbers that were apparently unsubstantiated, or you are carrying water for Dana White - who has created a huge PR nightmare for himself by a.) letting this happen in the first place, and b.) making matters worse by turning it into a pissing match.

You neither reported the true intent of Randy’s message, nor shed any light on this senseless falling out. You simply itemized the various accusations and counter-accusations and wrapped it in a blanket statement that says something to the effect that: “athletes are all liars - they’re just in it for the money - move along folks - nothing to see here….

But instead of clearing up the discrepancy, you unceremoniously threw the apparently factual numbers into the mix with the old apparently un-factual numbers - offering no account for the gaping difference and no apology for what appears to have been pretty sloppy journalism first time around.

click here for full article

Last edited 10/28/07 3:27AM server time by sam_rothstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   10/28/07 3:26:13AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Number one rule in acadamia and journalism school...have a source and documentation. Iole doesnt have any documentation and cited none to substantiate his other claims. Therefore, his integrity as a journalist ought to be questioned.

We all know that sports journalists are the least respected journalists in the newsroom, but at least Iole could shed some of that stereotypical 'tabloid journalist' label that sports journalists get and come with something remotely resembling truth built upon...gasp....fact.

Post #2   10/28/07 10:14:14AM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Career:679-391
Chips:
It sure does seem like Yahoo Sports is in with Dana.

Post #3   10/28/07 1:41:32PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
First off, I am a sports journalist, so some of my opinions on this subject may be biased and I just want to get that out of the way first.

While Iole should have tried to cite his source of the contract information better, Couture did not show any evidence that his claims were true. He simply said he talked to other fighters and they said they made more money. That does not tell me anything.

The contracts he presented were unsigned! He could have typed those up himself for all we know. While it may be cliche to state in an article you cannot deny that Randy would have taken a fight with Nog if he was getting paid the amount he wanted....it is about the money.

I dont think it is justified at this point to bury Iole as a legit journalist, just as I believe it is not justified to bury Couture as having a legit complaint. But the fact is neither one of them have any evidence to back up their claims so they both are at fault and everything coming from both camps should be taken with a grain of salt until hard evidence is presented.

And why are sports journalists not respected? Peter Gammons is a very respect all-around journalist and he covered baseball his whole life, I think that statement is a little harsh

Post #4   10/28/07 5:02:31PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

While Iole should have tried to cite his source of the contract information better, Couture did not show any evidence that his claims were true. He simply said he talked to other fighters and they said they made more money. That does not tell me anything.

It often puts you in a difficult situation when you cite a specific source, which is why I'm sure Couture didn't name any names...and possibly the same was for Iole, who knows...the difference is that Couture came out and proved Iole's claims to be false . I have yet to see anyone even attempt at discrediting Randy's claims of others being offered more money...and probably for good reason. Trust me, if anything that Randy said was untrue or even possibly disguisable as a false statement, Zuffa would have been all over it.

Also, Iole should of showed some class and chose to apologize, rather than keep shoveling.

Post #5   10/28/07 5:31:41PM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Chips:
Yeah and Couture, unlike Dana, seems like a stand-up guy who wouldn't lie and be a dick hole.

The character of these people is what i am basing my opinion off of. Dana writes good people and badass fighters off for no reason, like Matt Lindland.

Post #6   10/28/07 5:50:20PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Yeah and Couture, unlike Dana, seems like a stand-up guy who wouldn't lie and be a dick hole.

The character of these people is what i am basing my opinion off of. Dana writes good people and badass fighters off for no reason, like Matt Lindland

True...but Matt Lindland doesn't take showers, haha.

I agree Iole needed to put out names and facts to make his argument strong and reliable, but I am not so sure Randy wasn't making a good chunck of change. With the cut of PPV money and bonuses for winning and FOTN awards, it probably got pretty high...idk about 13 mill, but probably close to 4 mill, then you throw in sponsors and it could be close to to 6-7 mill.

I really think he was angry Fedor was offered such a high base salary and asked for a re-negotiation of his contract to match what they were going to offer Fedor and they probably turned him down so he felt disrespected and resigned.

There is probably some truth to both claims but if White and Couture could have had a face-to-face meeting he would still be in the UFC in some capacity I guarentee you that.

Post #7   10/28/07 6:03:18PM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Chips:
ok but the sponsers aren't apart of the ufc. yeah he is probably doing great money wise, but it's like he said, he's not getting the respect he deserves. and then with the fedor deal, when u hear his signing bonus is greatere then everything in your contract put together you will get pissed off. He makes them a lot of money and gets little from it.

Post #8   10/28/07 7:00:10PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
i believe randy did ask for more when he found out that fedor signin bounses was more that his salary which should piss u off since u r the champ and his character.... well uck its randy this guy his freakin awsome while dana is a un-professional. id say that was the main reason. he is the president of the UFC he needs to act in a proper manner. and guys like matt linland & josh barrentt top guys in their div arent signed Y? cause they dont get along with dana

Post #9   10/28/07 7:11:44PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
You and I both know that in most newsrooms Sports writers aren't seen as the "hard news" journalists because, well...they aren't. There are columnists who have respect because their writing and research is good, and the complexity of the issues that they deal with is strong. However, for the most part, sports writers are not winning the pulitzers and aren't writing powerful journalistic pieces. (Exposes on steroids are a different issue however and the investigative reporting there is interesting).

My point still stands though. Randy is the only person to offer ANY documentation. A good question for a journalist at that press conference would have been--are these copies of the contract? Are these legal documents? I heard none of those "hard journalists" do such a thing. Iole looked like he'd been clowned.

This WILL get sorted out in court. There is no way that Dana and the UFC can afford to have a top fighter defect and drop a contract. That sets a bad precedent in their organization.

What the journalists NEED to do is stop focusing on what they THINK Randy's MOTIVES are and start focusing on what this means in a BROADER perspective about MMA in general and the UFC in particular. Devoting time to speculation about someone's "intent" isn't journalism, it's tabloid. Analyzation of action and reaction in sport is journalism. THAT'S where the REAL story is.

Post #10   10/28/07 8:03:32PM   

xAcidburNx

Standup Guy

xAcidburNx Avatar

Career:672-426
Chips:
From the very beginning I personally decided that I would place my trust in couture until he or ufc gave actual hard facts and honestly atm all were getting is pre war strategy. get the people on there side before things go to court, which unless couture just says fine, ill fight my last 2 fights and then f***s off to do his own thing, will eventually happen.

Im obviousely still gonna keep an eye out for daily updates and read/watch them closely im just gonna have to give couture benifit of a doubt because if you look at the situation and who were dealing with. Dana White,well known for being a liar and his word is always coming into question. Then we have couture. MMA's most respected legend. known for being a genually good person and hero to many.

Which side you gonna choose?

Last edited 10/29/07 5:03AM server time by xAcidburNx
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   10/29/07 4:59:59AM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
I highly doubt couture was getting the money lole said

If he was getting up to 3 million a fight for some reason i doubt he would leave the ufc to play small roles in hollywood films

Iole talks bad about mma bloggers but the thing is, at least a good portion of them make sense

it just seems like Iole wakes up for the day and goes "rich franklins best weapon against anderson silva is the kick.....oh and randy couture makes 4 million a fight"

Post #12   10/29/07 9:16:14AM   

xAcidburNx

Standup Guy

xAcidburNx Avatar

Career:672-426
Chips:
lol did iole actually say his best wep was the kick. far as im concerned he landed a lot of good punches in the second fight but not enough to jar lose the solid jaw that is anderson silvas.but the kicks he through almost looked rediculous. i truly believe rich could be champ again but he really needs to revise his training. matt hume was a good start but just 1 step aint enough. i believe he should go somewhere like XCouture or ATT or AKA. jorge gurgel as well. they did great up till now wiith what there doing but sumtimes you just need to know when change is a good thing. But what do i know right. im not a fighter, yet.

Post #13   10/29/07 5:00:06PM