Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

MMA & Mexico: A Matter Of Time

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
MMA is growing in popularity all over the world, but one major area has been largely untouched by it yet: Mexico. While the Hispanic community is very big on boxing, the fanbase for MMA, despite efforts to promote Hispanic stars like Roger Huerta, remains very small and with nowhere near the passionate following for boxing.

Article

As a Hispanic boxing and MMA fan I read this with great interest. I think UFC is doing a good job with using Huerta to try and attract more Hispanics and Latinos to MMA, both as fans and fighters, but they need to find more fighters willing to take on the challenge and also not put them in mismatches like what other promotions (namely PRIDE) have done in the past. It would also help if some of the more popular boxing names were to lend their influence and big bucks to MMA, especially since boxing and the brawling aspect of boxing are both important parts of MMA.

Post #1   9/27/07 10:36:30AM   

MMAnomale

MMA Regular

MMAnomale Avatar

Career:155-77
Chips:
Huerta's been spoonfed. I think the UFC will definately go to Mexico within the next two years, and their popularity among Hispanics will grow tremendously. There are many great Hispanic fighters in MMA , not just boxing. With that said, I'm not a big fan of Roger Huerta.

Post #2   9/27/07 11:13:04AM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
most of my friends are hispanic so i dont see what this is all about, i think out of all the people i now 75% of them are hispanic that like mma

Post #3   9/27/07 11:32:03AM   

bezun

Banned

Career:146-107
Chips:
Ha, this proves the point I've been trying to make. Huerta has been given "easier" fights to so the UFC can bill him as their hispanic superstar. I would love to see him fight a top ten or even a top twenty lw to back up the hype but until then, he is just a marketing tool, imho.

Post #4   9/27/07 1:38:59PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by bezun

Ha, this proves the point I've been trying to make. Huerta has been given "easier" fights to so the UFC can bill him as their hispanic superstar. I would love to see him fight a top ten or even a top twenty lw to back up the hype but until then, he is just a marketing tool, imho.

Well, it's only a matter of time, since he's supposed to fight Guida next.

Post #5   9/27/07 6:26:56PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
yeah his next fight imo he loses

Post #6   9/28/07 12:48:13AM