Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Old-School Event Sparks Backlash In Brazil

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Rio Heroes, an MMA show in Brazil produced for a Brazilian website, is to hold its next event tonight and air it online for free. What makes it controversial is it's an "old-school" style event similar to UFC in its early days-no gloves, no time limit, and pretty much no rules.

Article

It sounds interesting because they are trying to make it like UFC originally was when it was bare-knuckle no-holds-barred fighting, but that's what's making it controversial in Brazil. But what really strikes me as well is the promoter says he's not promoting MMA, his events are street fights yet he claims he's trying to return MMA to its origins.

Post #1   9/26/07 10:45:02AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
Rio Heroes is a joke as far as I am concerned. It was because of this caveman attitude that kept MMA from being sanctioned for so many years. If this continues someone will get hurt and put MMA a huge step backward.

Post #2   9/26/07 11:15:01AM   

edge0125

MMA Regular

edge0125 Avatar

Career:1,503-923
Chips:
i actually liked it, it reminded me of the old ufc days.

The event was by far the craziest event ive seen. ze pequeno the that ended up winning the tournament held triangle choke for like 15sec after the guy tapped.
There was a brawl in the crowed after an eye gouge.
in the finals these guys fought for like 25min straight

Post #3   9/26/07 1:34:25PM   

O-Guns

Learning to Sprawl

O-Guns Avatar

Career:539-375
Chips:
Does anyone know if this is being televised or where we could catch is madness!!!

Post #4   9/26/07 2:44:53PM   

babalu2720

In Full Mount

babalu2720 Avatar

Career:1,245-647
Chips:

Posted by Darnok

Rio Heroes is a joke as far as I am concerned. It was because of this caveman attitude that kept MMA from being sanctioned for so many years. If this continues someone will get hurt and put MMA a huge step backward.

Agreed this is the reason why people look down on MMA and now people are praising it? Are u kidding me? This is a huge step backward and i'm sorry but for the people who like this then maybe Marlon Sims is the fighter of choice for u

Post #5   9/26/07 3:41:25PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,566-924
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
For the sport this will be a bad mark,but damnit,I'm kind of glad that their's a hardcore event!

Post #6   9/26/07 6:53:07PM   

bezun

Banned

Career:146-107
Chips:
If it were held in the states at a venue it would be a black eye for the sport. Although i do feel that this has the potential to be a detriment to the evolution of people's acceptance to mma, I do think that it can be considered a throw back to tradition and the basic stripped down form of professional mixed martial arts. This return to the roots of vale tudo is akin to the kimbo fights here on the you tube. I dont think it will hold valence enough to have a negative impact. It is embracing the roots of this sport but yes, of course people can use it to hinder the sports image and growth. word.

Post #7   9/27/07 2:31:44PM