since Zuffa owns WEC, why aren't great fighters like Paulo Filho fighting in the UFC, the premier MMA organization?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » since Zuffa owns WEC, why aren't great fighters like Paulo Filho fighting in the UFC, the premier MMA organization?
ufc88
8/16/07 2:19:19PM
since Zuffa owns WEC, why aren't great fighters like Paulo Filho fighting in the UFC, the premier MMA organization?
DCRage
8/16/07 2:20:59PM
Because they need some name recognition in WEC, and they also plan to use WEC as a minor league/developmental territory of sorts for UFC as well as a showcase for the smaller guys & weight classes that UFC has no plans to implement (namely the Featherweights).
juanez13
8/16/07 2:24:08PM
i think it might be becuase him and anderson silva are friends, and it would be unlikely for them to fight each other....having said that they both said hey would fught each other.....

but in an interview filho said the ufc wasnt a choice, so probably the ufc didnt want him, so the wec had the chance and took it.....no one really knows....
CwB
8/16/07 2:43:01PM
Dana White has said over and over that he doesnt want WEC to be a breeding ground for smaller talent. He wants to run as an organization equal to the UFC with more focus on the lighter weights 145 and 135 and less on the bigger weights 205 and 205+(doesnt exist in WEC as of now)

And the best way to boost an organization is to give it some star talent (filho).

In the future i see alot of the 170 stacked class moving into WEC. It would be cool to have Kos or fitch move(since they wont fight each other) or burkman. And after serra loses to matt hughes then loses his rematch to GSP move him to wec too.
SpiderSilva
8/16/07 7:05:58PM
the UFC has plans to make WEC the #2 top organazation in the world and also use it as a steping stone for some guys who just arnt ready to fight a good fighter on the big stage or help guys improve like Filho who has room for improvement
BigEvil
8/17/07 10:55:34AM
On Tagg radio Trigg has a pretty interesting take on the WEC. He says that the future of mma is on free TV. Advertisers are more willing to pay fighters if they are on free TV than PPV. I actually completely agree with this, he actually thinks that in the future more fighters would probebly want to fight on a free TV card than on a PPV just becuase the sponsorship money is going to be a lot sweeter. So if this logic is good than Filho may not be the exception he might be the precedent.... I don't know just something to think about.
SicJits
8/20/07 9:45:05AM
big evil you are partly correct. filho and silva have been friends since their youth, and have publicly said until they run out of other 185'ers they do not want to fight each other, that could be a big problem for the ufc if filho was there. what better way to remedy a problem but to send him to the sister company and get the mw some better exposure, since their mw is kind of weak. and free tv exposure will deffinetly only help those guys to get more endorsmant/sponsorship money.