Did ZUFFA drop the ball on women's MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Did ZUFFA drop the ball on women's MMA?
BDON911
2/6/09 10:37:10PM
With Strikeforce recently purchasing the majority of ProElite, look for them to not only create a woman's title in the near future, but to continue signing top ranked talent in that division and put together fights that the fans want to see, namely Gina Carano vs. Cris Cyborg.

If and when the WEC and Zuffa decide to pick up the woman's division, will it be too late?

Did Zuffa drop the ball by not signing women's MMA
Styles
2/6/09 10:55:35PM
I still feel that there isn't enough interest surrounding womens MMA for UFC but it would have made a great addition to the WEC.
mentalcase
2/6/09 11:09:01PM
i hope ufc never has a woman's division, but i wouldn't mind it in the wec or some other smaller promotion
higdon10
2/6/09 11:15:04PM
The talent pool isnt deep enough to have a successful womens division
breakdown5
2/6/09 11:16:30PM
I think so. I'll be watching whoever puts on the show.
lohmann
2/6/09 11:58:14PM

Posted by higdon10

The talent pool isnt deep enough to have a successful womens division

Talent pools suspiciously grow when the divisions get exposure.

From what I've heard before, Dana White was cold to the idea for a while and may still be.
postman
2/7/09 12:05:03AM
No stick to whats going to make money. Womans Boxing Womans Basketball Womans football the only girls in sport that we watch are Tennis.................then Golf and every 4 years at the olympics. Sure you have a fad jump up once in a while but they never last.
Afflicted
2/7/09 12:20:45AM
I was really hoping that the WEC would pick up the womens division. I cant get enough of my girl Gina. I have enjoyed every womens match that I have watched when they were with elitexc.
jiujitsufreak74
2/7/09 1:22:36AM
not a fan of the women's division. i would actually be more angry than pleased if the UFC decided to make a women's division...Gina Carano deserves absolutely no spotlight
bojangalz
2/7/09 1:24:33AM

Posted by postman
the only girls in sport that we watch are Tennis.................then Golf and every 4 years at the olympics. Sure you have a fad jump up once in a while but they never last.

IDK postman...

You get those MMA girls to grunt like the tennis chicks and I PROMISE a ratings spike like you wouldn't believe! (choose which every you feel is appropiate)
chitownsfinest15
2/7/09 1:47:10AM
I just don't see Dana giving in right away to bringing it into the UFC, but I think the WEC could be a home for women's MMA...but Zuffa is doing the right things for now...and I also don't think the women's division is deep enough to field yet...give it another year or so and it may pick up...
fizzle
2/7/09 2:13:29AM
I think the ball was dropped. Woman's mma will continue to grow and gain support as exposure grows. I agree with Jitz freak that Carrano doesn't deserve the spotlight as she has trouble making weight for a division that was tailor made for her, but that isn't a reason to count out woman's mma. Same goes for the comparisons to other woman's sports. Its not the same sport so reaction to it and acceptance of it won't be the same either. I think some of the girl fights we've seen in the past prove that the girls scrap just as hard as the guys do, if not more due to the fact that people don't give them any credit or support for trying to make a name and a living doing what they love and are passionate about, mma.
haggiswashere
2/7/09 3:02:57AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

not a fan of the women's division. i would actually be more angry than pleased if the UFC decided to make a women's division...Gina Carano deserves absolutely no spotlight

I agree completely. Im glad Im not alone on that one.
Aether
2/7/09 4:13:34AM
nah they didn't drop the ball as far as I'm concerned. Carano vs Cyborg would probably be a profitable match, but can anyone think of any more? The UFC isn't going to build entire divisions around 1 fighter the way that EliteXC tried to do. I don't see women's MMA as being profitable enough overall to warrant creating an entire new division. I also don't personally enjoy it very much, but that isn't part of my reasoning at all.

There's also the fact that, if the UFC sees someone else actually successfully turning a profit from women's MMA, they have the power to start a league and immediately have ten times the advertising power as anyone else. If they feel that it has reached a point where it is popular and profitable enough to establish a division, they will most likely be able to do so in a very short period of time. They can offer more money, more advertising, and assemble a better roster than anyone else in a fraction of the time.

They are in such a powerful position that they don't need to be ahead of the curve, they can jump in late and still be able to push their competition out of the spotlight rather easily. Someone might take that ONE fight, but ultimately women's MMA is not profitable right now. If it ever is, the UFC will jump on it.
ACCBiggz
2/7/09 9:34:34AM
They did not drop the ball because the only fighters under ProElite contracts that are worth anything are Gina and Cyborg, and that's only one fight. They could easily create a more competitive women's division by offering a lower weight than the special Carano-division. Think of all the talent they could even bring over from places like SmackGirl that folded if their weight division was 120-125 or similar.
Aether
2/7/09 11:58:24AM
I also have to say that I agree with jjfreak. I don't think Gina represents female MMA very well at all. She makes it look very unprofessional. Not that she isn't a good fighter, but look at how many times she missed weight. She missed a cut by 4.5 pounds once. That's a pretty huge lack of dedication. Guys like Travis Lutter get booted out of the organization for **** ups like that.

If she is worried about her figure more than having a fair fight with her opponent, she should stick to American Gladiators. That definitely wouldn't fly in the UFC.
evan9eleven
2/7/09 3:39:35PM
Zuffa doesn't need womans MMA. Let all of the other orgs. develop it and once it has enough steam, if ever, buy it all up.
EliasG
2/7/09 3:44:08PM
Jesus bird, I'll have to agree with you. It takes time, money, and effort to promote and build something like women's mma. Zuffa will let someone else make it big, if that's possible, then come in and buy it up part and parcel and add its own slick packaging and promotion to it. That will benefit everyone.

All of these smaller orgs ought to be, and many are, thinking about how to make a viable good product that the larger corporation will be willing to buy out ala Microsoft steez.
You make great software---a bigger company will buy you out and then you'll be on some Mark Cuban status and the fighters will get to be on a bigger stage too.

soundboy1
2/8/09 12:55:44AM
Women's MMA has a shot if it's co-promoted along with men's...EliteXC got a huge ratings boost for the last gina fight. I personally love female fighting. I love women's kickbocking. Sometimes the technique isn't there but the heart totally is.
ncordless
2/8/09 1:35:09AM
Pretty uninformed article...

Carano is still entertaining Zuffa offers and has not transfered over to Strikeforce yet.