Zhang vs Tamura

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Zhang vs Tamura
babalu46
2/27/12 5:27:46PM
I just wanted to get peoples opinion of this fight i've only watched it once and there were obviously no replays of the fight on the event but did anyone think Tamura landed with numerous blows to the back of the head and nothing was mentioned?

When I was watching it live with a friend we were both shouting at the tv that the blows on the ground were to the back of the head. As I understand it if he throws the punch and Zhang moves his head and it hits the back of the head as a result of this it's not an illegal blow but if he doesn't move his head it is illegal which most of the shots were.

Thoughts?
hashyandy4
2/27/12 6:34:08PM
I thoght the exact same thing when i was watching. It even kinda looked like Herb (i think he was the ref) wanted 2 say something, but never did.
gartface
2/27/12 6:36:24PM

Posted by babalu46

As I understand it if he throws the punch and Zhang moves his head and it hits the back of the head as a result of this it's not an illegal blow but if he doesn't move his head it is illegal which most of the shots were.

Thoughts?

Is this the Steve Mazzagatti rule from the first Mir/Lesnar fight?
pmoney
2/27/12 6:50:49PM
I remember one particular instance, Tamura was hammerfisting Zhang in the back of the head constantly. They were very weak looking, seemling annoying shots.... I think Tamura was in Zhang's full guard. The shots seemed to violate the headphone rule though, that's for sure. I would not say those shots were DQ worthy, not even close. A break in the action for a warning would have been warranted though, absolutely. Maybe a point deduction. I don't know if the perceived language barrier might have stopped the ref from officiating properly. I wouldn't call those shots a game changer, or anything significant at all. Definitely against the rules though.
sbulldavid
2/27/12 9:30:53PM
I thought Gomi landed quite a few more shots to the back of the head honestly.
postman
2/28/12 8:00:10AM
All I know is this Zhang "Project" to create intrest in China is not working. Hes not talented enough to fight in the UFC at all.
babalu46
2/28/12 1:07:15PM

Posted by pmoney

I remember one particular instance, Tamura was hammerfisting Zhang in the back of the head constantly. They were very weak looking, seemling annoying shots.... I think Tamura was in Zhang's full guard. The shots seemed to violate the headphone rule though, that's for sure. I would not say those shots were DQ worthy, not even close. A break in the action for a warning would have been warranted though, absolutely. Maybe a point deduction. I don't know if the perceived language barrier might have stopped the ref from officiating properly. I wouldn't call those shots a game changer, or anything significant at all. Definitely against the rules though.

I completely agree it wasn't DQ worthy but it surely warranted a warning as you say. I don't think it had much of an effect on the fight but that shouldn't be the determining factor imo it was illegal and he should have been called on it.

I havn't actually seen the Gomi fight don't suppose anyone has a clip or link they could PM me?
prozacnation1978
2/28/12 6:41:51PM
I don't think I can pick Zhang anymore. He really is a one trick poney. I can't even have the dude guillotine any one in the Ufc undisputed game even