Yves Lavigne

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Yves Lavigne
gsquat
3/8/09 11:27:52AM
WTF was his problem last night? What happened in the Brown/Sell fight should never happen let alone at the professional level. The instant he decided to push Brown out of the way the fight should have been over. There's no take-backs. He's been a pretty good referee in the past, but after last night he should be questioning his future.
theguido
3/8/09 11:31:57AM
And if he would have stopped it there people would be saying he stopped it to early I'm not disagreeing I'm just sayin he couldn't win in that situation
gsquat
3/8/09 11:38:44AM

Posted by theguido

And if he would have stopped it there people would be saying he stopped it to early I'm not disagreeing I'm just sayin he couldn't win in that situation

Thats exactly my point. As a profession ref, he shouldn't have put himself in that situation. And once he did, he shouldn't have said,"Oh, wait. Nevermind. Keep fighting." And then let the fight go beyond what it should have. That was just one of the most F'ed up things I've seen from a ref in the UFC. I just thought it'd come from Mazzagatti or Miragliotta.
tmas
3/8/09 11:54:11AM
that was one of the funniest fights stoppage or not stoppage....

i think he wanted to stop it then was like o sell okay and he been stopped to early before (quarry/sell) Also may have realized the loser will be fired and in that split second didnt want to cause Sell his job
Solidus
3/8/09 12:41:11PM
That was one of the oddest thing I've seen. Knee jerk reaction on the ref's part, probably realized too late that he was going to be talked about the next day over a controversial stoppage. Good reaction by Brown toward the whole situation, but I'm glad that his not wanting to deal unnecessary punishment to Sell didnt cost him the fight.
mentalcase
3/8/09 12:44:46PM
you guys would probly bich about it if it was stopped early who gives a ****, it was a good beat down thats what i like to see
Jackelope
3/8/09 12:53:10PM
Terrible mistake on the part of Yves Lavigne. I see two outcomes that would have been absolutely terrible-

1) Pete Sell takes way too much unnecessary damage and MMA has a serious injury on their hands

2) Pete Sell recovers because Yves Lavigne stepped in and STOPPED Matt Brown, yes I said STOPPED. He physically restrained Matt Brown. If Sell would have recovered and gone on to win the fight this would be a HUGE controversy

So yes, it is a big deal.
mentalcase
3/8/09 1:00:48PM
you know what a late/no stoppage fight is- enson vs igor pride10 now that was some serious ****

and i dont think its a big deal, if sell went on to win from the brink of defeat i think he would deseave it
Jackelope
3/8/09 1:24:28PM

Posted by mentalcase

you know what a late/no stoppage fight is- enson vs igor pride10 now that was some serious ****

and i dont think its a big deal, if sell went on to win from the brink of defeat i think he would deseave it

LOL is all I can say
roadking95th
3/8/09 1:26:57PM
Once Avril stepped in and physically restrained Brown, I thought he two options. One, call the fight because he prevented Brown from the oppotunity from finishing Sell after stunning, eventhough, Sell was only stunned at that point and recovering. Two, stop the fight and have a "reset." Step between the fighters, like they do in the beginning of fights, and restart it.

As for the stoppage, geez, I don't know. That was a tough situation because of what happened earlier.
Wolfenstein
3/8/09 1:33:10PM
Usually Yves is right on. He should have let Brown follow Sell down, but instead he jumped in a little early. He realized it, but by then he shouldn't havechanged his desicion because he'd already stopped the fight. Well it all worked out in the end anyways.
Solidus
3/8/09 1:39:41PM

Posted by roadking95th

Once Avril stepped in and physically restrained Brown

I didnt know she was there last night

Franklinfan47
3/8/09 1:53:45PM
It was weird, but Sell was going down regardless so it didnt make much of a difference.
Jackelope
3/8/09 2:02:04PM
The major problem is that he physically restrained Brown from following Sell down. Anybody who doesn't have an issue with this is out of their mind.

If Sell had been given a chance to recover and he'd beaten Matt Brown it would have been entirely the ref's fault. This is not a case of Nog vs. Herring III, this is the ref physically stopping Brown from following up
Tein_Lung
3/8/09 4:03:40PM

Posted by Solidus

That was one of the oddest thing I've seen. Knee jerk reaction on the ref's part, probably realized too late that he was going to be talked about the next day over a controversial stoppage . Good reaction by Brown toward the whole situation, but I'm glad that his not wanting to deal unnecessary punishment to Sell didnt cost him the fight.

that bold bit is the issue.. a ref shouldn't give a damn about what the people think... its his JOB top stop fights when a fighter can get really hurt... changing a stoppage due to what "people might think" is never going to end good
slapshot
3/9/09 3:30:12AM
I thought he was simply caught out of position when the knockdown happened and jumped in th middle because from his original vantage point it looked as if sell might have been KO'd, you can see him taking a good look into Pete's eye's and realize he was not out just stunned so he re-started the fight.

I think he is obligated to jump in and assess the fighter if he cant tell whether or not that fighter is able to continue due to a bad angle or position when a knockdown occurs.

At that point he can stop the fight or restart it, clearly the stoppage favored cell but then they stop fights all the time to check cuts and many times that favors the fighter that was cut.

It looked to me like the second (and more dangerous) mistake came from him trying to overcompensate for the early stoppage and therefore he let Pete take to much damage after the restart.
Pookie
3/9/09 5:17:21AM
i think he witnessed the horrendous stoppage of Riley v. Nelson earlier and didnt want to make teh same mistake.
ncordless
3/9/09 5:35:22AM

Posted by theguido

He could've not tried to stop it early... let the fight finish... and then stop it before Brown had to beg for mercy.

ncordless
3/9/09 5:47:08AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by mentalcase

LOL is all I can say

So if a fight gets stopped before it becomes Igor/Enson 2 it can't be a late stoppage?

That was some of the worst reffing ever... early stoppage, going back on a decision, and then letting it go on once Sell has shown he can't intelligently defend and only stopping it once Brown begs him to.... I didn't realize those things could be combined in one fight like that? The only thing he didn't do to make it worse, which I have heard some people say he should have done, was to reset the action after grabbing onto Brown. Under no condition does a legal knockdown constitute the need for a restart. Why would that have helped?

Yves is good ref, but that was some major bs.
gsquat
3/9/09 10:41:07AM
NC and Jackelope are spot on. He shouldn't have stepped in and pushed Brown aside. BUT since he did, that should've been it. You can physically interfere with a fight then let it go on.
prozacnation1978
3/9/09 11:11:52AM
i never seen a ref wave a fight off but still let it go on lousy call but the one earlier the first fight the ref was local but man that might have been the worst call ever in the nelson vs riley fight
wow i hope he never refs a fight in ohio again for the ufc
emfleek
3/9/09 11:38:40AM
Human Error...it happens.