YUSHIN OKAMI VS DEAN LISTER AT UFC 92 ON DEC. 27

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » YUSHIN OKAMI VS DEAN LISTER AT UFC 92 ON DEC. 27
Mchubb316
9/29/08 8:08:00PM
In a pivotal match-up between two top middleweights, MMAWeekly.com has confirmed that on Dec. 27 Yushin Okami will return from a lingering hand injury to face submission wizard Dean Lister, as confirmed by Lister’s management group at Haymaker’s Empire

Source
nickcuc547
9/29/08 8:13:28PM
good matchup, okami is strong as an ox, i don't know if lister will be able to work a sub on such a strong guy.
jae_1833
9/29/08 8:27:17PM

WTF??!!!! Yushin should be fighting for the title!!

He must want to fight then, because he is definately next in line to challenge A. Silva IMO!
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/29/08 8:33:30PM
well w/ him being out a while, i figured he'd want a warmup to the anderson fight
i think okami wins pretty decisively on this one
juanez13
9/29/08 9:05:20PM
Okami wins by being stronger and keeping it on the feet. His stand up keeps improving every time he is out there, and I dont see Lister having an answer to it.
D0wnUnd6e6r
9/29/08 9:17:28PM
Thats a sweet matchup. Wish it was closer though. And unfortunately I don't see the boogeyman winning this, Okami will outwork him on the feet to a ud or possible knockout given that Listen isin't top notch standing up. Hopefully he can score a few takedowns and maybe a lucky sub.
prozacnation1978
9/29/08 9:18:57PM
okami could have waited to get his title shot but being the fighter he is took this fight
i think okami will win and get his title shot next
Matimus
9/29/08 9:42:41PM
Okami gnp 3rd round ref stoppage
Lister doesnt have super stamina, and okami will grind him down.
Pitbull09
9/29/08 10:11:04PM

Posted by jae_1833

He must want to fight then, because he is definately next in line to challenge A. Silva IMO!

He prob wants another fight after the injruy. I am sure the UFC is expecting Okami to take this and be Silvas next challenger if he gets past Cote (he will)
bigbubbano23
9/29/08 11:16:04PM
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeett

should be an interesting fight. okami 1rd ko
saemskin
9/29/08 11:16:50PM
Lister will sub him, the guy has ridiculous JJ.
Jackelope
9/29/08 11:26:56PM
Lister will lose on the feet, but on the ground I wouldn't be surprised to see Lister pull something out. The man is a phenom. Although Okami is no joke in any regard, either. Great fight
MALICE
9/29/08 11:55:36PM
Wow. This will be a nice fight.

Lister by (T)KO - unlikely
Lister has never won by KO, and Okami has only been finished by KO once.

Lister by Sub - unlikely
Lister has finished 9 of his 11 wins by submission. But....Okami has never been submitted. So it is unlikely, but this is MMA.

Lister by UD - unlikely
Lister is not much of a striker. If it stays on the feet, I think Okami will have the advantage. And if it goes to the ground, I think Okami will be taking it there, him being the bigger stronger fighter.

Okami by (T)KO - unlikely
Okami does have decent striking, but I think Lister has solid defense standing, and on the ground.

Okami by Sub - extremely unlikely
No explanation needed. I'm not saying it's not possible just, you know.

Okami by UD - likely
Okami is huge a huge MW who is solid in all areas. He can control the fight with his strength, striking, and wrestling. All of which, I think are superior to Lister's. And if it goes to the ground, I think his JJ defense is solid as well.

Okami by UD. For the record, I am rooting for Lister.
MMAcca
9/30/08 1:20:31AM
I just hope Okami gets his title shot after this because he's deserving of it for ages now. Much more so than Cote imo.

A good match-up, but Okami is a monster at MW and will control 95% of the fight en route to a UD.
loller90278
9/30/08 3:11:42AM
i smell snooooooooooooozefest!

lister by SD.
pinoymixplaya
9/30/08 7:32:04AM
Although I think that Okami should be next in line instead of Cote, I like the fact that he is keeping himself busy as a true warrior would and not just sitting around waiting for a title shot. I think Lister's only path to victory would be through sub which is very slim because Okami's sub defense is amazing, I think of his fight against Ryuta Sakurai where Yushin got stuck in a kimura and his hand had almost reached his ear from behind, and he never tapped.

Yushin will dominate and Dean may prove to make this an exciting bout. Okami is like Lyoto Machida in that an exciting opponent brings out the best in them.

Okami by UD then fights the king of 185.
NatedawgThaM
9/30/08 8:00:04AM
No doubt Okami deserves the next title shot but I think it's a decent move. If Okami wants to fight let him fight. It's not like Dean is a pushover or takes him down a notch if he beats him. It actually helps him IMO since Okami's bread and butter is GNP, and Anderson's biggest threat to that is his long limbs and submissions off his back. So I guess if he can hold Dean on his back and grind him out for 3 rounds, it's a great warm up for Anderson who's real it does nothing for Okami unless he can finish him but as for warming up for Silva I think it's a good move. lick.As far as a money maker and hype wise, it

I got Okami winning a UD. I think he'll over power Dean, take him down at will and keep out of subs while grinding him out all 3 rounds.
Darnok
9/30/08 10:47:32AM

Posted by xxMALICExx

Okami by UD. For the record, I am rooting for Lister.

Wolfenstein
9/30/08 1:25:50PM
Dean is probably one of the more underrated MW's mainly because he is a little inconsistent, but when he's on he has one of the top grappling games, especially leg locks. I met Dean at a seminar once and we rolled for a minute, which is about half the time it took him to tap me.

I think Dean's a guy that is constantly improving and is on the brink of turning the corner. It wasn't long ago that Dean lost to Jeremy Horn, and when they fought again he absolutely destroyed Horn.

Lister has a really good shot here. The UFC isn't giving him a gimme at all. If Yushin wins he's next up for a title shot, but if Dean upsets him he could probably be really close to next in line, maybe with one more win.

If Yushin keeps it standing he should breeze through this fight, but if he gets put on his back he's in big trouble.
DvS
9/30/08 6:37:14PM

Posted by jae_1833

He had his shot to get to the title when he went up against Franklin

Didn't know? He lost.
HulkRage
10/1/08 2:15:39PM
I am glad to see Okami back in the UFC, he may be a boring overall fighter, but still gets the job done and is IMO one of the best at MW. I want to see Okami vs. A Silva II.