So how young is too young?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » So how young is too young?
crushedbacon
7/18/12 9:02:40PM
I don't know if anybody's come across this video.... but we're over here nerfing the shit out of everything in North America that has anything to do with kids.... no more letter grades, trophies for everybody, full face mask baseball helmets (for the fielders)... etc. Meanwhile the Armenians are pretty much filling the place to watch 6 year olds fight..... Right or Wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQb4EoBdYFM&feature=player_embedded

Gogoplatapus
7/18/12 9:52:07PM
Both these kids are skilled and looks like they are 100% into it, so rock the fuck on, sons.

No headshots is probably a good idea.
BuffaloDave
7/18/12 10:55:59PM
Ha, You can tell the kid without the last name on his back, is a fan of the Diaz brothers, he pulled the same move they do, with the forehead to forehead mean mugging, during the weigh ins.
prophecy033
7/18/12 11:31:51PM
Damn, those kids are pretty good
FastKnockout
7/18/12 11:50:44PM
Six is too young IMO as their bodies aren't fully developed and don't understand the risk vs reward aspect of the sport.
crushedbacon
7/19/12 12:18:39AM
Yup, I'd agree there was a certain amount of technique displayed by both boys. But what got me was the showmanship. The stare down was intense as it gets with 6 year olds I'm sure, and then the one kid at 0:32 promoting the hell outta that ink with the double thumb pump. Same kid follows that up with a brief flag run pre-fight, followed up by a huge submission... and obviously the next move was a cage climb, another double thumb pump at the ink...and what next? A Tito tribute to ice this cake. Freaking PPV. But with that said its insane to treat 6 year olds as prize fighters. Developing bodies and brains at that age do not need to be suffering KOs and joint manipulations... Id encourage fight simulations in controlled environments, to develop an understanding for the framework of a competitive match
FlashyG
7/19/12 12:55:22AM
In principle I don't really have a problem with children learning the sport early.

That being said, it felt wrong watching 2 kids scrap in a seedy bar sponsored by a whiskey maker for the entertainment of a bunch of men.

Seemed odd that they weren't wearing headgear either which would probably be mandatory for children here if MMA bouts were sanctioned for kids that young.
warglory
7/19/12 8:00:21AM
Totally against competition at this age. Their bodies are under developed, and they shouldn't be exposed to adult oriented atmospheres like bars and clubs in such a way. Kids need to bee kids for as long as possible, no need to rush into adulthood.
tcunningham
7/19/12 4:23:18PM
it felt a litle wrong watching this. exploitation seems more important than letting two kids enjoy a sport. too young
Boo_Radley21
7/19/12 4:42:32PM
I used to fight my friends all the time. No bad can come of this
infestructure
7/19/12 4:50:01PM
The title of this thread is misleading...
scoozna
7/19/12 4:59:50PM
It sounds terrible until you see it, then it looks alright (if no headshots is the rule).
I think I'd still rather see them do non-competitive MMA training or sparring until teen years though. Those young joints seem so vulnerable.
crushedbacon
7/19/12 6:26:41PM

Posted by infestructure

When you clicked on it what were you expecting to see?
Gogoplatapus
7/19/12 6:36:19PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Both these kids are skilled and looks like they are 100% into it, so rock the fuck on, sons.

No headshots is probably a good idea.

I didn't consider the grandiose of the video, and I would be against that. But the competition aspect is ok with me. I don't think it's much different than any other sport.
Boo_Radley21
7/19/12 8:33:53PM
Anything under 16 is too young in my country
prophecy033
7/19/12 9:02:34PM

Posted by crushedbacon

Posted by infestructure

I think it automatically puts the "their too young" thought in peoples heads before they ever watch. Now "What do you guys think of this" would have probably been better suited. Either way, their are too young to not have protective gear
7/19/12 9:04:35PM
I was more upset with terrible sportsmanship exhibited than anything, ordinarily i love that stuff but kids should be taught respect for their fellow competitors first and foremost, be guided appropriately then grow into their own 'persona' as they mature, not be encouraged like they were to showboat and disrespect each other. shit parenting.
infestructure
7/19/12 11:28:59PM

Posted by crushedbacon

Posted by infestructure

A desperate PGer wanting advice on whether to bang a 15yr old or not
Aether
7/22/12 6:46:35PM
I hear the UFC is picking up the 128 pound kid to fight Joseph Benavidez. I think the kid has a weight advantage.
DancingDoll
7/25/12 10:33:45PM
This was kinda disturbing.

I like the idea of kids training in MMA disciplines under proper guidance and sparring and fighting in legit tournaments... I think that's pretty normal.

The showboating and bar atmosphere was a thumbs down at that age, though. It looked exploitive.
lohmann
7/25/12 10:37:10PM
Is the next ArmFC going to be available in League 2?
Bubbles
7/26/12 1:40:23PM

Posted by infestructure

Posted by crushedbacon

Posted by infestructure

A desperate PGer wanting advice on whether to bang a 15yr old or not

If she looks 18, don't ask and plea ignorance
hymiekooken
7/26/12 5:58:59PM
Dont like the bar atmosphere, but totally agree to kids at least training as long as it is in a controlled enviorment. I like the no head shots rule. I agree because as a kid, I was bullied, I was really skinny through school, and had to beg my mom for lessons in some form of self defense. I have since filled a bit, still tall and lanky at 6'7" and 210 lbs., but in shape and not bullied anymore. I really do believe that children who train and are supervised properly are less likely to get into trouble as they have an outlet, and the way things are now, I think everyone should know how to defend themselves should no other option be available. Dont know who said it, but I like a quote I read somewhere that says: " fighting is never good, but not being prepared for a fight is an even graver sin."