Who the F is Yoshiro Maeda?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who the F is Yoshiro Maeda?
PaleHorse
6/29/08 5:55:12PM
This guy came out of Japan with very little noise about him, he was in the WEC for what appeared to be an easy title defense for Miguel Torres (a marketable fighter and talented champion in the Bantamweight division) but instead gave him one of the best fights I've ever seen on a night primarily focused on the bout between Urijah Faber and Jens Pulver. I was at the fight live, and felt Maeda's heart up at my seat as he stayed in the fight up until the very end, and what most people didn't see, argued with the doctors to let him to continue to fight (if you watch this fight, most of the third round he was eating jabs because his eye swelled shut and he couldn't see them coming) and as the doctors stopped the fight you felt your heart drop as you knew the fight wasn't going any further.

After I went home from Arco Arena I've watched the fight a good ten times since on my TV, and it remains one of the best fights I've ever seen. Commentator Frank Mir and myself agree that it is one of the best fights ever, and another thing we also agree on is that anyone who is not aching for a rematch, didn't watch the first fight. I hope to see Maeda fight more and I think he has a very bright future in America, he's got a Japanese heart (look at the beatings Sakuraba, Ryo Chonan, and other Japanese fighters will take and still not go down) but he has the talent of a top level fighter in the Bantamweight division, shaking off the ever dangerous submission attempts and strikes of Miguel Torres, in my opinion Maeda is the #1 pound for pound Japanese fighter in an American based organization right now, I hope to see a rematch between him and Torres, and I believe that he has a very bright future in the states and hope if you haven't seen his fights yet, you should watch them.
EON
6/29/08 7:21:24PM
yoshiro is a damn good bantamweight / featherweight, i too was expecting torres to make easy work of him but damn that was fight of the year candidate next to alvarez / hansen
Jipper
6/29/08 9:11:23PM
Dude if you don't know Maeda then you might want to watch some more Japanese MMA. I didn't pick Maeda to win b/c I feel if FW, BW & Flyweights got the respect the bigger boys do Torres would be in talks for P4P top 10 but I put him in my parlay cause I knew it was possible.
wolfman
6/29/08 11:24:57PM
Maeda is a beast, his only problem is that he doesn't always fight to his potential. His loss to Joe Pearson is a prime example of a time when he should have won, but he fought down to his opponent's skill set and got submitted too easily. Maeda, when on top of his game is a force to be reckoned with. His fight with Torres was awesome and he showed his true skill set. I can't wait to see more of him and hope the rematch does happen!
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/30/08 12:04:00AM
TS I FEEL YOU posibly the best fight i have ever seen
PaleHorse
6/30/08 1:40:52PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

TS I FEEL YOU posibly the best fight i have ever seen

After a couple of boring fights that night, Maeda showed some Japanese heart that would rival the heart of Jeremy Horn vs. Chuck Liddell, David Loiseau vs. Rich Franklin, Tiki Ghosn vs. Dave Terrell, Cabbage vs. Arlovski, and Garcia vs. Huerta where the fighter just wouldn't give up, the fight may have not gone his way, but I'm way more impressed with him than I have been with any other Japanese fighter today. I didn't used to watch much Japanese MMA but I've been watching DREAM lately, I'm just not a huge fan of the ring as a fighter or as a spectator, so I'm glad to see that he's in a cage and Aoki is looking to fight in the states as well.

I'd also like to see someone knock out Chase Beebe, maybe Maeda can do me a favor.
PaleHorse
6/30/08 1:43:10PM

Posted by wolfman

Maeda is a beast, his only problem is that he doesn't always fight to his potential. His loss to Joe Pearson is a prime example of a time when he should have won, but he fought down to his opponent's skill set and got submitted too easily. Maeda, when on top of his game is a force to be reckoned with. His fight with Torres was awesome and he showed his true skill set. I can't wait to see more of him and hope the rematch does happen!

Pearson is a 145er, and wasn't Maeda fighting at 160 at the time because that was in PRIDE wasn't it?