Yes, Junior Dos Santos is set to fight Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovoc at UFC 103

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Yes, Junior Dos Santos is set to fight Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovoc at UFC 103
« Previous Page
Brain_Smasher
7/10/09 10:49:14AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by cowcatcher

i think the point is that even though he may have looked well rounded and very skilled, you dont REALLY know how good he is when hes fighting mediocre fighters. he deserves credit for the werdum win, hell fabricio is fighting for the strikeforce HW belt soon so obviously JDS has some skills. the thing is a lot of guys look much better against poor competition, a guys hand speed can look phenominal if hes fighting a slouch, and when he fights against a top level fighter it looks like hes punching in quicksand. both of your points are valid, but i dont think im going out on a limb when i say that next to no one though JDS had a chance against werdum because werdum was a proven commodity and JDS wasnt no matter how good he looked on film. when i dont know a new fighter to the ufc i always look for their fights, and you can learn some things, but how they look against an established fighter can be completely different, because those guys can make people that looked good on film look bad.

I think you are wasting your time cowcatcher. I have been typing this on pretty much thread about this fight and these guys just don't seem to get it.

NO, you are trying to tell us than Dos sucks until he proves otherwise. Go ahead and pick against someone because they havent won enough fights to educate you. Looking at you pickem record it has worked well for you so far. LOL
cowcatcher
7/10/09 10:54:49AM
i wont disagree with that, he does have the skills to beat CC, but id still put him as the underdog if i was an oddsmaker. im also croatian, and a huge CC fan so maybe im a little biased. there is something to be said for a guys resume, and CCs is fantastic even if he hasnt looked as good lately. i think hes the type of guy that needs to be fighting regularly to stay at his best and this quick turnaround will benefit him, plus im sure hed like to avenge werdum who was helping him with his BJJ for awhile there. to me this is a really close fight to call, im interested to see if JDS is going to stand there and trade or take it to the ground(where he should have a better chance). in the end im just happy that CC is fighting in the ufc again and against a step up in competition to see exactly where he stands right now. its been tough to tell lately between ball shots, injuries, and mediocre competition.
cowcatcher
7/10/09 10:56:42AM
lets just all take a deep breath and agree to disagree before this gets too personal or out of hand ok, there are valid points on both sides.
Brain_Smasher
7/10/09 10:56:58AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by scobac

I doubt he is active in kickboxing, more recently than CC in K1, but he is currently whoopin ass in the ufc.

He has 2 wins in the UFC. One of them is against an established fighter and the other is against a guy that only had one win in the UFC. IF he gets to 5-0 then I'll consider him to be whoopin' ass, but until then, I still consider him a reletively unproven fighter.

This is what im talking about. Calling him unproven is fine. But to count him out because he is unproven is dumb. He has shown a lot of upside and little to no downside. Thats what you base fights on. What you do know. Not what you dont. After all who is proven, what is proven? Is Fedor proven? Dispite everyone who he beat to become the #1 fighter is now getting their ass kicked? Is Carwin proven even though he seems to be hurt every time he gets hit and is able to gas out at anytime? Nog proven after getting knocked down a half dozen times by Mir of all people? Id Lesnar proven?

Noone is really proven. But you cant count people out because of it.
Rush
7/10/09 10:59:15AM

Posted by Brain_Smasher

NO, you are trying to tell us than Dos sucks until he proves otherwise. Go ahead and pick against someone because they havent won enough fights to educate you. Looking at you pickem record it has worked well for you so far. LOL

No, I am telling you that you cannot say someone is a great fighter based on looking at their performance against C level fighters. That is why I mentioned Jason Reinhart. He is a prime example of someone that can look good because they are not fighting top competition.

I have never once said that Dos Santos sucks, I just said that I am not sold on the fact that he has the tools to beat CroCop. CroCop has shown me more in the last 3 years against better competition than Dos Santos. I never jump on a fighter's bandwagon until I have seen him fight about 5 guys in top organizations. So many times have I seen a new guy come in and tool someone. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon and says he is the next big thing (maybe because it makes them feel better inside to say that they knew about him when he was less known or something, I don't know) and many times have I seen that same fighter be returned to Earth after a couple more fights. A perfect example of said fighter would be Tim Boetsch. The guy tooled Heath and went on to be 1-2 in his next 3 fights.

REgarding Mirko being unproven. Seriously you think his chin is unproven? Oh yeah, he's only gone the distance with some of the hardest hitters in MMA.
cowcatcher
7/10/09 11:04:38AM
topic locked, this is just going in circles, i think everything that needed to be said has been said.
Pages: 1 [2]