Yellow Cards.......... Get the Red Card!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Yellow Cards.......... Get the Red Card!
randyleprechaun
3/29/07 12:07:14PM
Im guessing under unified rules Pride will be doing away with Yellow cards. I haven't heard anything in writing on this and was wondering if anyone can shed light on the subject!

In my opinion cards have no place in MMA, and the UFC/NASC has the best approach to detering fighters from rulebreaking.

"A fighter who executes a foul technique shall be penalized with a caution, warning, or a point reduction. Two (2) cautions shall lead to one (1) warning for the first two (2) cautions; however, a warning shall be given for any cautions thereafter. Two (2) warnings shall lead to a point reduction, and three (3) point reductions in one (1) round shall be grounds for disqualification. This clause shall not apply in cases where the judges rule that the foul technique as unintentional."
tomp6581
3/29/07 12:23:36PM
I'd like the 10% deduction of the fighters purse to be carried over though.....
Manfred
3/29/07 1:03:35PM

Posted by tomp6581

I agree, but only for true stalling, this should apply to stand up boredom as well, if not more than a lack of action on the floor.

Let the grapplers work, and if the fighter(s) want to keep it standing, they better be swinging!
randyleprechaun
3/29/07 1:33:51PM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by tomp6581

I agree, but only for true stalling, this should apply to stand up boredom as well, if not more than a lack of action on the feet.

Let the grapplers work, and if the fighter(s) want to keep it standing, they better be swinging!

I concur! Does anyone remember the Travis Lutter vs Marvin Eastman fight at UFC 50. They stood up for about 9 mins without either man throwing a punch or kick with any conviction.

The fans where calling for their heads, then out of no-where, 1 minute left in round 2 Lutter K-O'd the Mauy-Tai practictioner with a single punch!

That night i was embarassed to be an MMA fan!
Chec22
3/29/07 2:35:47PM
Yeah that Eastman/Lutter fight was pathetic, even though Eastman laying there for that long was entertaining. The only true justice for that would have been a double knockout, that would teach them.
hippysmacker
3/30/07 2:45:53AM
I agree with the idea of yellow card's , but the practice doesn't always fit the thory. In Pride they seem to definately favor the japanese fighter's. Judging, yellow cards, are both subjective. It's like communism, seems like a utopian idea. Everyone has the same, we all work together blah.. blah.. blah..Their must always be someone in charge of the system, so everyone's not the same. If everyone got paid the same whether they worked hard or not, it punishes hard worker's and reward's slacker's. Yellow card's is similiar because the people who decide who get them aren't always in agreement on the criteria. You have favoritism of fighter, fighting style, and possibly corruption thrown in the bargain. Also, some will try to fight by the spirit of the rule , go all out, and then leave openings. The other guy can just wait for someone like that to go for it, and capitalize on it. Again, I like the idea but I've seen Rampage, and many others, get a bunch of yellow card's when they definately were not stalling.

Manfred
3/30/07 3:06:31AM

Posted by hippysmacker

I agree with the idea of yellow card's , but the practice doesn't always fit the thory. In Pride they seem to definately favor the japanese fighter's. Judging, yellow cards, are both subjective. It's like communism, seems like a utopian idea. Everyone has the same, we all work together blah.. blah.. blah..Their must always be someone in charge of the system, so everyone's not the same. If everyone got paid the same whether they worked hard or not, it punishes hard worker's and reward's slacker's. Yellow card's is similiar because the people who decide who get them aren't always in agreement on the criteria. You have favoritism of fighter, fighting style, and possibly corruption thrown in the bargain. Also, some will try to fight by the spirit of the rule , go all out, and then leave openings. The other guy can just wait for someone like that to go for it, and capitalize on it. Again, I like the idea but I've seen Rampage, and many others, get a bunch of yellow card's when they definately were not stalling.

Excellent points. Perhaps a 3-man oversight panel can review it before the fine is assesed? This might give the fighters' wallet some protection from a card-happy ref.
hippysmacker
3/30/07 4:18:39AM
Good call. I like the idea of some group reveiwing the tape , from all angles after the fight, before imposing a fine.
redmist
3/30/07 4:11:25PM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by hippysmacker

Excellent points. Perhaps a 3-man oversight panel can review it before the fine is assesed? This might give the fighters' wallet some protection from a card-happy ref.

Agree totally. The same thing happens in soccer where if a review panel considers a referees judgement to be harsh they have the power to rescind cards.
Rush
3/30/07 7:47:12PM
I think the cards are useless.

A fight can be decided by a fighter grabbing the fence/ropes or the shorts of an opponent (only once!).

I think any time someone commits a foul, they shoudl have one point removed from their score card for that round.

Besides, I don't get the scoring system. What is the point of scoring out of 10, when 99% of the time they only score out of 2 and out of 3 the other 1% of the time.