Yellow Cards in the UFC????

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Yellow Cards in the UFC????
jimmypockets
4/24/08 12:02:39AM
Do you think the UFC should implement yellow cards like they used to in Pride? If a fighter is stalling they are given the card and fined 10% of their purse.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
4/24/08 12:11:55AM
yes for people like kalib starnes. dana white would doc them after the fight. some times the yellow cards were given and then the guy subbed or KO'd his opponent like anderson silva did to carlos newton with the flying knee. so imo the ref shouldnt have the ability to make this decision.
jae_1833
4/24/08 12:13:04AM
Hard to call....UFC focuses more on the ground so I wouldn't want it quite like Pride with all the resets/stand ups ...however for the Starnes fight it would be most appropriate!!!! I think a major thing that needs to be changed is the judges... have ex-fighters turn judge for 1....Shamrock, Bas for example. Plus if the UFC would just sign on a lot more talent they could have a lot more shows...especially now that they are again looking for a deal on network TV again. There are many orgs to soak guys up from and the HW Div especially needs the help!!! Lastly I am tired of the delay on title shots/defenses!!! That $hit is most gay of all!!!!

almost gave you props...but you left the decision up to Dana...I think they could get someone a little better IMO.
NatedawgThaM
4/24/08 12:14:21AM
Absolutely not!

This is MMA, your suppose to be well rounded, not just a boxer, not just a wrestler. Your suppose to be knowledgeable and well skilled wherever the fight goes, especially if your good enough to be in the UFC. If you can't get back to your feet after a wrestler takes you down or can't submit him, it's your own fault for not knowing how to do it.

It just seems stupid to me since your just giving fighters an excuse to hang on until the ref stands the fight up. Your basically screwing over the well experienced wrestlers which is extremely BS. If you don't want to be taken down then learn how to sprawl or work on your submissions.

Yellow Cards were the worst thing about PRIDE IMHO. They screwed many fights over because of them.
jae_1833
4/24/08 12:16:44AM
True, but the running and avoidance in the case of Starnes was still totally lame. Good call on the UFC just up and cancelling his contract!
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/24/08 12:19:47AM
i have always wanted ufc to pick this rule up
GrandMaster313
4/24/08 12:21:29AM
simply put....................NO
ObsoleteMan
4/24/08 1:59:12AM
I don't see the need. Kalib Starnes would be the obvious example, but honestly, he had to know he was throwing his career away with that performance, and that definitely cost him a lot more than 10% of his fight purse.

Yellow cards won't make a boring fight any better, they'll just take money out of the pockets of fighters. I much prefer the current method of generally doubling your purse for winning (I don't know if Pride did that as well, actually), and an extra $75K for FOTN, KOTN, SOTN. If the chance at $80K+, doesn't get you pumped up, I doubt the yellow card will. Rather motivate than punish, imo. Plus, more stand-ups and restarts means more stink on the refs in a close fight.
hippysmacker
4/24/08 3:21:48AM
I will weigh in on this again.I agree with the idea of yellow card's , but the practice doesn't always fit the theory. In Pride they seem to definitely favor the Japanese fighter's. Judging, yellow cards, are both subjective. It's like communism, seems like a Utopian idea. Everyone has the same, we all work together blah.. blah.. blah..Their must always be someone in charge of the system, so everyone's not the same. If everyone got paid the same whether they worked hard or not, it punishes hard worker's and reward's slacker's. Yellow card's is similar because the people who decide who get them aren't always in agreement on the criteria. You have favoritism of fighter, fighting style, and possibly corruption thrown in the bargain. Also, some will try to fight by the spirit of the rule , go all out, and then leave openings. The other guy can just wait for someone like that to go for it, and capitalize on it. Again, I like the idea but I've seen Rampage, and many others, get a bunch of yellow card's when they definitely were not stalling.

gsquat
4/24/08 9:58:42AM
Implimenting this would not put the best fighters at the top. The best fighters are patient and sometimes have to wait a long time for their "moment". Yellow cards would only rush them and take them out of their element.
emfleek
4/24/08 10:04:09AM
No way.
Darnok
4/24/08 10:33:31AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Absolutely not!

This is MMA, your suppose to be well rounded, not just a boxer, not just a wrestler. Your suppose to be knowledgeable and well skilled wherever the fight goes, especially if your good enough to be in the UFC. If you can't get back to your feet after a wrestler takes you down or can't submit him, it's your own fault for not knowing how to do it.

It just seems stupid to me since your just giving fighters an excuse to hang on until the ref stands the fight up. Your basically screwing over the well experienced wrestlers which is extremely BS. If you don't want to be taken down then learn how to sprawl or work on your submissions.

Yellow Cards were the worst thing about PRIDE IMHO. They screwed many fights over because of them.

Exactly!!

Look at Rampage, he still swears that he would have beat Wanderlia if they didn't keep standing it up.
0000max0000
4/24/08 11:18:21AM
DEFINITELY! ufc is full of wrestlers happy to eek out a decision. yellow carding for lack of effort to finish fights is a great idea.

however the ufc does (or did at 83 anyway) have huge fight bonuses, 75k for sub of night, ko of night, and fight of night respectively and i think this will work in the same way as the yellow becuase fighters know they are in for a years salary just about if they put on a good show. At least i know if i could earn 75k extra id be going 100%
0000max0000
4/24/08 11:23:44AM
also people are saying that this is mma and your meant to be well rounded?? yes i 100% agree! the yellow card should be issued to someone who spends the best part of the round purely wrestling, to avoid the yellow you would simple have to work for a better position or attempt to do some damage. no one is saying we should reset to the middle or anything, or stand it up when a wrestler is working for position on the ground. ideally id say they should warn the fighter to work more first and if he continues to lie there then issue the yellow and stand up the fight
prozacnation1978
4/24/08 1:13:38PM
i think being cut and humiliated is enough as it is, i think these guys are smart to know if they don't perform they are out
seanfu
4/24/08 1:48:28PM
It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight.

OK. Yellow cards in only extreme situations. EXTREME situations. I see no reason to dock a wrestler for lay and pray unless (absulutely) zero damage is being done.
Tein_Lung
4/24/08 2:46:20PM

Posted by seanfu

It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight. It is a fight.

OK. Yellow cards in only extreme situations. EXTREME situations. I see no reason to dock a wrestler for lay and pray unless (absulutely) zero damage is being done.

sory but LnP is not a legit way to win a fight... simply becasue you are on the top pretending to do damage does NOT mean you are winning... one of the good things IMO about pride is takedowns did not mean that much unless you acted on it.. simply laying there doing nothing did not score you any points... picking up the guys slaming him into the mat and beating the snot out of him is differnt... shooting scoreing the takedown and laying there for 5 minutes does not mean you won that round IMO, there are alot of fighters who prefer to be takeing down to get their gameplan going... take Mir for example that dude is best when on his back... simply because someone take him down does not mean hes losing.
jimmypockets
4/24/08 9:32:39PM

I am a fan of groundfighting almost more than standup but if your gameplan is to get your oponent to the ground to score the takedown. Then proceed to do nothing more than use your uncanny ability of using leverage to stay on top, but never try to improve or finish your oponent, then you are not a skilled fighter. You are merely a skilled wrestler. I say bring the yellow cards back. I also think that the fighters should not be stood up on the first but if issued a second the fight should be restarted from the corners. If a third is issued you should then be docked a point or two for stalling and then cut after the fight. I don't think they should disqualify the fighters but merely penalize them for not bringing a complete game to a professional MMA bout.
MFOTHER
4/25/08 9:35:36AM

Posted by jae_1833

Hard to call....UFC focuses more on the ground so I wouldn't want it quite like Pride with all the resets/stand ups ...however for the Starnes fight it would be most appropriate!!!! I think a major thing that needs to be changed is the judges... have ex-fighters turn judge for 1....Shamrock, Bas for example. Plus if the UFC would just sign on a lot more talent they could have a lot more shows...especially now that they are again looking for a deal on network TV again. There are many orgs to soak guys up from and the HW Div especially needs the help!!! Lastly I am tired of the delay on title shots/defenses!!! That $hit is most gay of all!!!!

almost gave you props...but you left the decision up to Dana...I think they could get someone a little better IMO.

props