With a Years Training, Could Floyd Mayweather Become a Serious Threat?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » With a Years Training, Could Floyd Mayweather Become a Serious Threat?
POLL: With A Years Worth of Training, Could Floyd Become a Serious Threat?
Yes, He is very athletic. And His hands already make him a threat 22% (8)
No, He will never understand the ground game 22% (8)
He could learn ground game, but never beat another top ground opponent 42% (15)
Other (Specify) 14% (5)
TimW001
12/23/07 3:21:50PM
Well what do you think? I think alot of MMA just want to deny how good he is. He is a very serious threat to anyone standing, and I think guy like him cold really pick up on the ground game, especially with the right training partners. But even with a years worth of training, he could never beat guys who've been training their whole life in JJ like BJ Penn or any Gracie.
fullerene
12/23/07 3:35:18PM
No. He will not be strong enough or good enough to prevent ending up on his bac k. Most MMA fighters will be able to take him down and most of them will win shortly after they do.

Almost every fighter you see on TV has more than a year's experience training BJJ at a good school, but you still see some of those guys get dominated by others.

It's just as likely taht Sean Sherk would be able to stand and punch with him after working out with Emmanuel Steward for a year.
TimW001
12/23/07 3:52:38PM

Posted by fullerene

It's just as likely taht Sean Sherk would be able to stand and punch with him after working out with Emmanuel Steward for a year.

Oh that was well said.
stock
12/23/07 3:56:29PM
Well, pretty much anyone could be a threat with training, so this is pretty much a loaded question.

Realistically it is way too late for him to learn a great ground game. His best course of action would be to take a year or two to practice take down defense and getting back to the feet once grounded.

With enough training I would say at the very best he could be a Houston Alexander type of a threat.
However, against a good wrestler he would have major problems. Even against a good muy thai fighter he would have major problems as nobody is going to keep any distance from a guy like Mayweather to allow him to open up.
Most guys can bite down on a mouth guard and power their way thru a punch or two to get a clinch. I am not sure how he would react once someone gets a hold of his head.

All that being said, I think he could make some noise in a lesser organization, but never be a threat for a belt, and never make it to the UFC.
TimW001
12/23/07 4:08:59PM

Posted by stock
All that being said, I think he could make some noise in a lesser organization, but never be a threat for a belt, and never make it to the UFC.

I don't think it should matter. I think the UFC HAS TO get him. For various reasons, like the UFC wants people to believe that they are the only MMA org that has fighters with skill. So they have to get PbF just so people beleive that they have the most talent. Plus, it's so beneficial to the UFC. That's going to be a huge PPV, every boxing fan is going to be watching, every MMA fan aswell. And there will be huge sponsors.

And other reasons.
nickcuc547
12/23/07 4:31:42PM
yes he could definately be a formidable fighter, i dont think he could be a title contender though, he wont be able to out wrestle a wrestler and a jiu jitsu black belt would dominate him.
TimW001
12/23/07 4:36:33PM
I posted my full thought on a different forum in a different thread.

Well it looks like this is going to be the story of the year. It's seems like he'll most likely is going to be going to HD Net Fights which is owned by Mark Cuban. Personally, I'de rather see ANY OTHER league have Floyd. Even a lower end MMA organization like IFL...well K not IFL. But I'de rather see him in K1 or M1 or Elite XC. But I really want to see him in the UFC. I hope Dana offers him more money than any other org. and more money than PbF thought h could make in fighting. In his last fight he made something like 11 Mil. Adn the UFC was offering Fedor 5 Mil. PbF is a much bigger name and they'll probably only sign him for one fight, an immediate title shot. I really don't think this is an opportunity the UFC can pass up. He is THE BIGGEST name is any combat sports right now. The #1 pound-for-pound boxer. Plus, this is something that people have been waiting for since MMA exploded a few years ago. Every boxing fan will be watching this PPV and every MMA fan will be watching it aswell, everyone wants to see their guy win. And there will be HUGE sponsors for that event. The UFC will have no problem paying him what he wants. HD Net Fights jsut doesn't have very many talented fighters, not nearly the calibur of K1 or the UFC.

But on the fight itself. In HD Net I ahve no idea who he would fight. But in the UFC he would fight probably BJ Penn. And I think almost MMA fighter, in MMA, would take Floyd down and submit him in the first 3 minutes. BJ Penn has been training Jui-Jitsu since he was a child, he was the first Non-Brazilian to win a JJ championship. He's hung with top WW fighters such as Matt Hughes and Georges St. Pierre. And Now he's fighting at 155. Even with a years worth of ground training with really good partners, I doubt PbF could hang with BJ on the ground. If he works a year on more sprawling and getting up (ala Chuck Liddell) Then he has a much better chance than actually trying to roll with someone like Penn. I don't mean to bad mouth Floyd either, I think he could learn faster more than most MMA fighters can, but I just don't think he could hang with top MMA calibur fighters on the ground. Standing, of coarse, he could beat absolutely anyone. It's pretty much like this, if the pro Boxer comes and fights the Pro MMA fighter in MMA he will lose. And if a Pro MMA fighter goes and fights a Pro Boxer in Boxing, the MMA fighter will lose. It's like people saying that a prime Michael Jordan could beat a prime Wayne Gretzky in hockey. (Actually that's a bad comparason.

Aaronno9
12/23/07 5:59:07PM
mayweather could train bjj for 5 years and i still dont think he could hang with a guy like penn on the ground. I wouldnt be all to interested in seeing him fight in mma. Id like to see sherk smash his face in yeh, but hes never going to be a real threat. He might smash a few cans, but once if gets to even fighters in the top 30 in the division i wouldnt give him a chance.
Styles
12/23/07 7:05:25PM
I think alot of people are missing the big picture here. Has anyone said for sure that he will be fighting? Also, whatever he does do, he will be doing it with HDnet. I think he will mainly look at promoting fights kinda like De La Hoya.

Also, what alot of people dont know about Mayweather; Grew up in the ring with his father as a kick-boxer, wrestled, family members train, coach, and own MMA gyms. Also, this guy is an incredible athlete, has awesome cardio, a great chin, very strong for his wieght, and is a very-very smart fighter.

Do you honestly think that he doesn't know what danger he could be taking if he does decide to fight MMA, and what it could do to his career? This guy is an undefeated boxing star that has been around for along time. He isn't just going to step into a MMA ring or cage with expected to win a fight with just his hands. He has alot to lose if he did decide to fight and Mayweather would not take a chance like that unless he 110% confident in himself. This doesn't mean he could just step into a match with Sherk, Penn, Faber, Curran..... but with time, sure he could be a beast and one of the best in the MMA game.

Alot of people are throwing out opinions about Mayweather without really knowing what he is capable of and the knowledge that he has. I can garuntee you that he has already trained BJJ, and is always wrestling and doing live rolls, it a part of his strength, mental and cardio training.
Pitbull09
12/23/07 7:07:12PM
He COULD potentially be a threat but I could never see him winning a title, its just not his game.
TimW001
12/23/07 7:47:24PM

Posted by Styles

I think alot of people are missing the big picture here. Has anyone said for sure that he will be fighting? Also, whatever he does do, he will be doing it with HDnet. I think he will mainly look at promoting fights kinda like De La Hoya.

Also, what alot of people dont know about Mayweather; Grew up in the ring with his father as a kick-boxer, wrestled, family members train, coach, and own MMA gyms. Also, this guy is an incredible athlete, has awesome cardio, a great chin, very strong for his wieght, and is a very-very smart fighter.

Do you honestly think that he doesn't know what danger he could be taking if he does decide to fight MMA, and what it could do to his career? This guy is an undefeated boxing star that has been around for along time. He isn't just going to step into a MMA ring or cage with expected to win a fight with just his hands. He has alot to lose if he did decide to fight and Mayweather would not take a chance like that unless he 110% confident in himself. This doesn't mean he could just step into a match with Sherk, Penn, Faber, Curran..... but with time, sure he could be a beast and one of the best in the MMA game.

Alot of people are throwing out opinions about Mayweather without really knowing what he is capable of and the knowledge that he has. I can garuntee you that he has already trained BJJ, and is always wrestling and doing live rolls, it a part of his strength, mental and cardio training.

I didn't know that about him. Thank you.
Tailgunner
12/23/07 7:53:34PM
Mayweather is way too rich too EVER become a top level MMA fighter, he has no reason to learn the MMA game.

He makes Dana White look like a welfare mom he has so much dosh.
mrsmiley
12/23/07 8:36:43PM
I could see him doing good in MMA.Especialy if he's got this guy training him

Taylor8766
12/24/07 6:43:23PM
Maywheather would be a killer in MMA, look how fast he is he's like lightning, and he really doesn't need to train stand-up just the ground and he's a quick learning so his manager says, and I think he would be a huge threat.
holt8081
12/26/07 4:43:26PM
mayweather would get knocked out by most of the guys in the ufc.
rcg916
12/26/07 5:32:21PM
I would bet a million dollars that he will NEVER fight an MMA fight.

With a gazillion reasons why, the main being that his hands couldnt withstand a single round with 4 ounce gloves. He already has to do so much extra to protect his chronically brittle hands, theres no way he could even train for a fight, let alone get in there for 3 rounds.

He is just trying to gain cross-promotion with MMA fans, he has no intentions of fighting MMA.
fullerene
12/26/07 6:34:52PM

Posted by rcg916

He is just trying to gain cross-promotion with MMA fans, he has no intentions of fighting MMA.

That's probably half of it. The other half is that he seems to have made friends with Mark Cuban (they were on Dancing with the Stars together and Cuban was in his ring walk posse for the Hatton fight). Cuban's fight league just got a million dollars worth of advertising by Floyd Mayweather saying he might fight for them. I think Cuban and Mayweather both came out ahead, without any obligation to actually fight.
tepid55
12/26/07 7:07:47PM
Wrestlers and BJJ guys would own him.
rcg916
12/26/07 7:43:35PM

Posted by fullerene

Cuban's fight league just got a million dollars worth of advertising by Floyd Mayweather saying he might fight for them. I think Cuban and Mayweather both came out ahead, without any obligation to actually fight.

Strongly agree.
fullerene
12/26/07 8:08:29PM
BTW, I might get killed on another site for posting this, but I think Kermit Cintron would be a great prospect for MMA--much moreso than Mayweather. This is for two reasons--he already has a strong wrestling background and he's a one-punch KO fighter. IMO, that's the formula necessary for a boxer to make a quick transition.