50 years after Cuban missile crisis: closer than you thought to World War III

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » 50 years after Cuban missile crisis: closer than you thought to World War III
prophecy033
10/15/12 3:10:23PM
“My fellow Americans, with a heavy heart, and in necessary fulfillment of my oath of office, I have ordered – and the United States Air Force has now carried out – military operations with conventional weapons only, to remove a major nuclear weapons build-up from the soil of Cuba .”

These are the words President Kennedy almost delivered in October 1962 announcing what could have been World War III. This draft speech is among several thousand drafts, letters, and handwritten notes from Robert F. Kennedy’s personal files that have just last week been opened at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library

LINK
mrsmiley
10/15/12 3:21:10PM
Thank god the X men stopped it.
airkerma
10/15/12 3:21:46PM
I recall learning from Robert McNamara (sec defense) that Castro didn't give two shits if everyone was mutually annihilated. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed. You all know what I mean, Professor X and Magneto averted the crisis with their super powers [X-Men: First Class].

Another interesting fact regarding Robert McNamara, he later on met with Vietnamese leadership and they frankly stated that had we never left Vietnam, they would have literally fought until they were all dead. Scary times indeed. Here's to hoping we find more ways to avert military interventions that cost countless lives.
infestructure
10/16/12 12:01:29AM
warglory
10/16/12 10:57:45AM
Robert McNamara on Cuban Missile Crisis after speaking with Fidel Castro in the 90's. Absolutely astonishing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5QtvmyPdII