14 year old needing advice

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » 14 year old needing advice
BillyPridemore
10/23/07 10:44:17AM
i dont have very good arm strength but I have very good leg strength. any recomendations on how i should train my arms?
bayonetxwork
10/23/07 2:48:27PM
Well, its pretty obvious, but if you want to build arm strength, you must work the muscles in your arms...heres some basic to intermediate workouts for arm strength though:

Biceps:
-standing curls
-preacher curls
-reverse curls
-hammer curls
-isolation curls
*my favorite is the preacher curl because there is no real way of cheating it. it has good isolation on the biceps, and there is a large negative phase in the lift as well.

Triceps:
-tricep extension
-tricep rows
-tricep cable extensions
-skull crushers
-close grip bench press
*my favorite is the tricep extension on a bench. lay down on your back, and make a triangle with your thumbs and index fingers and lift the weight from behind your head.

practically any of these workouts can be performed with a barbell, dumbell, or even bent barbells(meant for curls). if you need help with any of those exercises, check out bodybuilding.com.
hope it helps

BTW, 14yrs old is pretty early to start weight training, so be careful, and don't stress your muscles too much. stick to about your 70-80%MRP. just figured i'd throw that disclaimer out there to you.
wolfman
10/23/07 4:21:45PM
To add on to what bayonetxwork said, I would recommend pull-ups( with your knuckles facing you) and dips to build up your triceps. Your triceps make up 2/3's of your arms. A lot of people only worry about their biceps, focus on your tri's and your arms will get big! I started lifting at 15, 14 is young but if you train properly you will do fine. Take it easy at first though. Good luck!
Mitchell740
10/23/07 5:54:21PM
My advice is push ups, push ups, push ups. It worked for me when I was 11 and I grew from there.
R-Bandd
10/23/07 11:36:26PM
YOU WILL NOT WANT TO HEAR THIS BUT...

You should lay off of the weights for a few years. By all means work out but my advice would be use your own body weight. (push-ups, pull ups, bag work, swiming) If you can't pice together a good workout check out military workouts. Any one whose ever been smoked in boot camp knows that you don't need weights to get a workout.
cmill21
10/23/07 11:41:00PM

Posted by R-Bandd

You should lay off of the weights for a few years. By all means work out but my advice would be use your own body weight. (push-ups, pull ups, bag work, swiming) If you can't pice together a good workout check out military workouts. Any one whose ever been smoked in boot camp knows that you don't need weights to get a workout.

Agreed, you should not be putting your body through that while your that young. Push up's and sit ups work on your conditioning.
jomatty
10/24/07 2:12:35AM
if i was 14 i would stay away from the weights with the exception of perhaps a little light weigh/ high rep sort of things. i would be doing tons of push ups, chin ups, and sit ups.

really if your goal is to fight mma or some martial art i would not worry too much about the strength and just start wrsetling, training judo and some sort of kickboxing. if you find a bjj club that knows how to deal with teenagers that could be good too, but judo is not as hard on the joints and things while they are still growing as bjj, and you are prob too young for muay thai.

join the wrestling team, take judo, and some sort of boxing/kickboxing and the strength will take care of itself.
fedorwins1
10/24/07 6:19:53PM
Are we talking about arm strength or punching power?

If you're talking about arm strength, there are thousands of things to do, just stay away from bodybuilding stuff like isolated exercises. Try to do things that involve using your whole body like Oly lifts (Snatch, Jerk, Power clean), plyos, pedaestles things like that.

Here are some examples of Olympic Lifts...
Pyrros Dimas
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
dP
10/26/07 9:36:06AM
go with chin ups.....one handed negative chin ups if you can

dips are great also

til you can do basics like 100 uninterupted push ups
20 pull ups
15 one legged squats you shouldnt even be thinking about weights though
casey64
10/28/07 8:35:33PM

Posted by R-Bandd

so your saying i am 14 as well and i workout with the football team and that is weights all the time so that is bad for me.I dont think so my arms are way bigger now since working out with weights.thats all i do is workout when i get the chance.
BillyPridemore
11/7/07 10:15:45AM
ummmm..... im in the middle of Arkansas, and the only place around here is Karate
madmarck
11/7/07 2:57:22PM
the best way to build muscle up till 15-16 or fully grown is to do sports. Lots of em.
You can see a noticeable difference.
I am 6'0 and was 170 at the time of this story.
I had a classmate who was 6'0 and prob 120. He has the smallest waist i had ever seen.

This guy had never ever done any sports has a kid and has such he didnt develpo any muscle. Also he didnt really have a physical job or anyhting like that. So when he was 19 he paid for it b/c i who had been a swimmer for 9 years (last one varsity) had a nice bit of mass (not too much fat).

He tried to start working out this summer and i would always help him out and give him advice but he was awfully scrawny.

Cardio is always good but if you simply run and do nothing else you wont develop much upper body strength. try and mix up sports.
I think the ones that work the most muscle groups are supposed to be swimmign and gymnastics but they are both kinda hard to jump into unless you have been doing them for years.

If your 14 and fully grown it cant hurt too much to start doing weights.
when i say fully grown i mean height. Most guys grow tall and then start to fill out in their early twenties.