Yeah I wish the UFC would add a 215LB weight class dasry

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Yeah I wish the UFC would add a 215LB weight class dasry
Sensoria
9/24/08 9:05:28PM
Some people want to add a lot of weightclasses. I do think there needs to be some adjustment, but not that plenty. For right now, a great idea is to add a 215. A lot of guys come to mind who this would help. Guys like Vera,Cain,Cro Cop,Allistair,and more...........................................................make it happen heardright.
juanez13
9/24/08 9:51:21PM
I would say 220. But agree, the distance from LHW to HWis too big (60 pounds).
Guys like Cro Cop, Vera (alhough he can 205), and other guys that cant make weight are at a distinct disadvantage against guys like Lesnar and other who top the scale of the HW limit.
Pitbull09
9/24/08 10:23:59PM
I agree with 220lbs but I dont think it should be added til at least 3 years from now. The HW division is already small enough, this would set it back a lot.
juanez13
9/24/08 10:31:30PM

Posted by Pitbull09

I agree with 220lbs but I dont think it should be added til at least 3 years from now. The HW division is already small enough, this would set it back a lot.

good point. agree.
Wolfenstein
9/24/08 10:57:45PM
I like it. I agree probably more like 220-225. It's probably the most difficult weight to be at naturally, because you're in between. Any other division and there are only fifteen pound differentials.
Biggz
9/25/08 1:17:53AM
i think a added weight class like the ones that have been suggested
(215-225 lbs. ish) is a good idea and i think we will see something like that in the future. when thinking about fighters who would benefit the most in a class around that weight i can't help think that Liddell would fit in great around there. he would be kind of a small true heavy weight and that would be a perrect weight for him to end his career, but i do agree that a class like that would benefit a handful if fighters.
Branwest
9/25/08 10:53:57AM
Yeah, more like 220 or 225. When talking about weight over 200 pounds, the distance between classes would be at least 15 pounds. I agree with some of the above posts. I would weight and let the sport continue to grow and gain more heavier fighters before doind this. There is sometimes such a weight discrepancy between small and large heavyweights. Some are around 220 or 235 and other have to cut to make the 265 limit. Something will be done about this, but it'll probably be in a couple years, probably 4, from now. Until then they'll try to sure up the HW division and let the sport continue to develop as many more people are introduced to the sport and more and more train in the necessary arts such as jj.
prozacnation1978
9/25/08 11:29:04AM
there are enough weight classes as it is, if anything add featherweight
RhythmAndStyle
9/26/08 12:39:56PM
lets get this straight..LHW the max is 206..anythin beyond that is HW..so if your 207 or whatever..youre a HW...
DCRage
9/26/08 12:52:34PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

there are enough weight classes as it is, if anything add featherweight

That's why there's WEC. UFC's gonna keep the under 155s there.
jocka
9/28/08 1:06:22PM
I do agree that a 220-225 weight class would be good but it is just me or the figthers that weight arround those line are normally not the most ripped guys out there. They shouls just cut down to 205
Jackelope
9/28/08 1:33:09PM
225 sounds good. Maybe even up to 230. The nice thing about this weight class is it would cut out the Tim Sylvia's and Brock Lesnar's of the HW division who, even though their skills are definitely there, they're made all the more effective simply based on their size. So while I can rank Lesnar and Sylvia relatively high in HW rankings I could never, ever rank them very high in p4p rankings. They're made that much better simply because they have 40-50 sometimes even 60 pounds heavier than their opponents.
JimiMak
9/28/08 1:50:44PM
yay, lets further split up the weakest div
Kracker_Jap
9/28/08 1:58:24PM

Posted by JimiMak

only to feed one of the stongest........

I assume this 220 would be the new limit for the 205 class, and if not that just makes even less sence
mkiv9secsupra
9/28/08 7:17:46PM
a 225 class is perfect. Arlovski, Fedor, and Alistair could easily make this weight and make exciting fights in it. Then we see could guys like Forrest, who walk around at this weight, make other superfights in the division.
Jackelope
9/28/08 8:38:53PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by JimiMak

only to feed one of the stongest........

I assume this 220 would be the new limit for the 205 class, and if not that just makes even less sence

It's not these guys' fault that the HW division is so weak. A lot of your best guys at 225-240 weight range suffer in the HW division because they are outweighed by 50 or 60 lbs by the biggest dudes (Lesnar and the like)

It wouldn't take away the 205 division (although I'm sure some fighters would want to cross over) It would just take those dudes who are good fighters that keep getting beat by the heavy, heavy dudes with less skill but more size. You could do LHW, then Cruiser weight then Heavyweight. Just like boxing does.
JimiMak
9/28/08 9:11:13PM
The only way to do it is to add a Superheavy that starts at like 225. So then all your exciting HW's are making the smaller HW div and the SHW's have no incentive to get in shape. It would result in two boring div's. LHW is the bread and butter div. Watering down a boring div wouldn't help, and not having a super boring SHW for a cpl guys is a good thing. The large HW's like Nog Fedor and Randy don't tend to have problems w/ the giants. And no matter what weight you are at you are trying to overcome the other guys strengths. If size is that big of an advantage for him you need to work on that or move down.
Jackelope
9/28/08 9:28:01PM
That's something I don't agree with. I think there's plenty of guys that could end up making 225 (Couture, Nog, Arlovski, Velasquez, etc.) and then some of the bigger guys could fight above 225 (Mir, Lesnar, Werdum, Barnett, Gonzaga, Sylvia, etc.)

No other weight class has to deal with weight issues like Heavyweights do. You're going to see it now with people like Carwin and Lesnar coming in that big 265+ heavyweights will just muscle guys around. Once more of the gigantic wrestler types come in I guarantee you that you'll start to see muscles overpowering technique in the case of wrestling. It's going to be frustrating to watch for many and I can pretty much assure you a move for cruiserweight will take place in the future.

Mark my words- it happened in boxing and it will happen in MMA.
fonduktoe
9/29/08 1:20:44AM
the idea makes perfect sense since i don't think anybody should lose a fight due to a 50 lb. size disadvantage and nothing else
at the same time, as many posters have already iterated, the hw division is too weak in the ufc right now to split it up (however there are almost too many good lhw fighters right now that may benefit from a new division)
maybe in late '09 or '10 the idea would be more plausible