- Tony DeSouza vs. Roan Carneiro
- Manvel Gamburyan vs. Nate Mohr
- Mark Bocek vs. Doug Evans
- Soa Palelei vs. Eddie Sanchez
- James Irvin vs. Luiz Arthur Cane

CornishMMA
12/5/07 11:50:28AM
I had to go for UFC 79!

Even tho there are just 3 top fights they are so good i couldnt choose that over them, the rubber match is just too exciting for a gsp fan like me, and despite not being a chuck fan or a massive wandy fan im obviously very excited about that fight as well

Yarennoka has more quality fighters and some very exciting matchups for nothing to rival the 2 main event fights imho
hathcock32
12/5/07 1:18:55PM
I had to go with UFC also. The YARRENNOKA card is going to be awesome, But the 3 main fights on the UFC card are HUGE with big implications. If Fedor fights someone decent it will be a lot better.
madmarck
12/5/07 1:33:20PM
Had to go with Yarennoka. UFC 79 looks awesome but
-Gesias "JZ" Calvancante vs. Shinya Aoki (top 5 vs top 10)
-Hayato "Mach" Sakurai vs. Hidehiko Hasegawa (Top 10 fighter)
-Gilbert Melendez vs. Mitsuhiro Ishida (top 5 vs top 10)
-Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Andre "Dida" Amade Top 10

all i know is that the Lightweight rankings are gonna change bigtime after this card.
Just look there are 6 top ten LW's on the card (unless Aoki is fighting at 170)
Not to mention throw Fedor and Aleks into the mix and you have got a awesome card.

UFC 79 will probably have a better main card but overall it isnt the better of the 2.
Believe-in-judo81
12/5/07 2:07:33PM
let's see. JZ, Aoki, Hellboy, Maha, The Emilianenkos, and more likely than not Takanori Gomi? There's no contest If I had to choose I'd rather watch Yarennoka. but assuming they grab a PPV deal in the U.S. I'll watch both, this will just be the one I actually pay for.
jiujitsufreak74
12/5/07 2:14:47PM
to me it would be better if fedor, arona, hell boy and aleks actually faced good fighters, but they are more likely than not just going to outclass their opponents and it wont be that entertaining to me. i love the JZ / aoki fight and i think that will play a big factor in the LW division along with melendez's fight. sakurai is probably going to win pretty easily and gomi should face the winner of JZ / aoki in a later card to see if he truly deserves to be on the top (or near it for that matter).

so, i went with ufc 79 because the two main events are so pivotal in their respective divisions along with soko / macida fight which will mix things up in the LHW division. i think the main events on ufc 79 are more important and will be more exciting than the Yarenoka main events, and with the star power in Yarenoka not facing top competition i will definitely lean more towards ufc 79 whose satrs are actually facing top competition. still JZ / aoki fight will be sick.
Aaronno9
12/5/07 2:26:27PM
79. Chuck vs wandy seals the deal for me. I think if it wasnt for this fight id choose yarennoka but ive waited to long to see it to not watch it.
Scott_Revels
12/5/07 2:53:44PM
My question though is, why we aren't being able to pick for YARENNOKA. I know it's the same day as the IFL Finals, but looking at that card, some might say picking YARENNOKA over the IFL Finals would be better. You can even let us split the money we have over the two cards if we want..

Either way, if they allow us to pick for it or not, it'll be a great weekend for MMA fans, because there are fighters I like on all three cards.
JimiMak
12/5/07 2:57:33PM
I'm just glad to be able to watch both. Top to bottom Yarennoka will be better, but the UFC card has such a big televised card. I'm also looking forward to some of the undercard fights for ufc (gamburyen). We'll now a lot more when they announce opp's for the main card guys in Japan.
NatedawgThaM
12/5/07 3:02:06PM
Bot these cards are great and providing the fights could be legendary. I'm picking UFC 79 because of Wandy-Chuck, Soko's debut vs Machida. IMO Yareenoka has a lot of great fighters but I don't think they will be matching too much of them against each other. A few will be facing no names or jobbers(fillers).

UFC 79 pwns all!!!
wolfman
12/5/07 3:10:01PM
For me, it's a no brainer...YARENNOKA appears to be a much better fight card on paper. I am a huge fan of Liddell and I like Wandy too, but this fight could be a boring fight. Both fighters are coming off two devastating losses and may be gun shy come fight night. I know there is bad blood between the two and one should expect fireworks, yet I have a feeling that this fight might not turn out that exciting. Chuck hasn't looked that good lately and got dominated by Keith Jardine, who is a good fighter. Yet, I don't think that he is a top tier fighter. I hope I am wrong though.
Also, the rubber match between GSP and Matt Hughes should be good, but I don't see it turning out any different from the last time. Then, Lyoto vs. Machida is expected to be a great fight, yet it will probably be a lackluster fight that goes to decision. I'd like to see Soko KO Lyoto, yet I don't think that is going to happen. Lyoto is no joke, I just don't enjoy watching him fight. He will probably grind out another decision. So, there are three amazing fights on paper for the UFC, yet I don't think that qualifies as a better card. The YARENNOKA card appears to have quality fights up and down. I know we don't know who Fedor, Aleksander, Arona, and Hansen are fighting. Yet, any fighter up against the aforementioned would be more interesting to watch than Dean Lister vs. Jordan Radev, James Irvin vs. Luiz Arthur Cane, and Soa Palelei vs. Eddie Sanchez. To each his own I guess. YARENNOKA has quality fights and quanity.
cmill21
12/5/07 3:27:45PM
I have to go with Yarennoka, the top 3 of 79 have me really excited, for the whole card Yarennoka is better.
Believe-in-judo81
12/5/07 3:34:53PM
I don't see how the cards are even comparable, they are both great, and I'll catch both, but for pure value Yarennoka wins easily. Especially if the proposed card falls into place. The matchups they are wanting at the end of the day look like this.

-Gesias "JZ" Calvancante vs. Shinya Aoki
-Hayato "Mach" Sakurai vs. Hidehiko Hasegawa
-Gilbert Melendez vs. Mitsuhiro Ishida
-Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Andre "Dida" Amade
-Kazuo Misaki vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama

-Fedor Emelianenko vs. TBA (Rizzo, Barnett, Monson, and Choi have all been offered the fight, of the lot Choi seems the most likely candidate for the fight)
-Joachim Hansen vs. Takanori Gomi
-Aleksander Emelianenko vs. Mark Hunt
-Roman Zentsov vs. Sergei Kharitonov
-Ricardo Arona vs. TBA ( there haven't been any leaks as to an opponent that have made it here yet, so as far as I've heard an opponent is either under tight wraps or this fight is still up in the air and more likely than not will be dropped)
-Luiz Azeredo vs. Caol Uno

Granted those are all tentative matchups but according to Takada and other officials, plus fan and media buzz, these are the fights they want on the final card and are trying to negotiate to set up. Are any of you Honestly going to tell me that the 5-6 televised bouts on the UFC card are worth your $40 dollars over this from a pure bang for your buck standpoint? I find that hard to believe. Granted, the historical importance, etc. of 79 still make it a must see, but from a pure monetary value standpoint I'm standing by the other card.

pv3Hpv3p
12/5/07 4:02:49PM
I think I agree with most people...

The top 3 fights at 79 are killer... Wand / Chuck I wouldn't miss for the world... But the card sharply falls off after that... Bocek / Evens? Lister(or his replacement) / Radaev? C'mon, those are fight night cards... Why the hell would thet put them on the end of the year extravaganza?

Yarennoka is immpressive top to bottom... There isn't a fight on there I woudln't want to see... Hopefully the rumors will pan out and these fights will materialize...

I guess I was always a pride fan, so this seems like the next best thing to me... If I had to choose one, I'd watch Yeronnaka.... There's really only 3 fights I want to see at 79, and I figure it's a lot easier finding 3 fights on the interweb then a whole card's worth
Lay_N_Pray
12/5/07 4:29:54PM
JZ is my second favorite fighter only behind Anderson Silva, so anytime I get a chance to see him it is a treat.

But Liddell vs Axe Murder is the most anticipated fight ever. People have been calling for that fight for years and it is finally here. GSP/Hughes III has also been waited on for a while now.

So I have to go with 79 because of those two fights, but YARENNOKA is stronger top to bottom and will be tremendous.
Pitbull09
12/5/07 7:16:21PM

Posted by hathcock32

I had to go with UFC also. The YARRENNOKA card is going to be awesome, But the 3 main fights on the UFC card are HUGE with big implications. If Fedor fights someone decent it will be a lot better.

I agree, a lot of the japanese fighter on there are over hyped and would get owned in UFC. But I do want to see Fedor fight if its actual competition.

UFC 79 has probrually 3 hall of famers in two main card fights (Chuck, Matt, and possibly GSP), How cant you see it as the best card?
tuvok500
12/5/07 7:42:00PM
UFC 79 for me !!

the Yarennoka card may have some big names but they are almost all fighting the indestructible TBA !!

YARENNOKA: DECEMBER 31, 2007 IN SAITAMA, JAPAN
venue: Saitama Super Arena

-Gesias "JZ" Calvancante vs. Shinya Aoki
-Hayato "Mach" Sakurai vs. Hidehiko Hasegawa
-Gilbert Melendez vs. Mitsuhiro Ishida
-Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Andre "Dida" Amade (rumored match)
-Kazuo Misaki vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama (rumored match)

-Fedor Emelianenko vs. TBA
-Joachim Hansen vs. TBA
-Aleksander Emelianenko vs. TBA
-Roman Zentsov vs. TBA
-Ricardo Arona vs. TBA
-Luiz Azeredo vs. TBA

Stickan
12/5/07 9:53:02PM
For me it's Yarennoka for sure.

I think GSP answered every question needed about the match-up with Hughes last time they fought. Sure it's a great fight but I'm just not that excited about it.
Chuck - Wandy would've been better 2 years ago. Now that they're both coming off two losses it's sad because even if it's a great fight, this shouldn't have any title implications. Before it was UFC champ vs Pride champ.

Sokoudjou - Machida I'm truly stoked for and it's this fight that lifts up the whole card IMO. I don't think it'll be a barnburner but it'll be intriguing to see who comes out the victor in this one.

Calvan - Aoki is an amazing match-up. If JZ beats up Aoki he should be top 3 for sure if he isn't already. Same goes for Aoki.

Kawajiri - Dida is another awesome fight. An already established top 10 LW with top 5 potential vs an exciting up and comer.

Melendez - Ishida. Possibly #1 ranked LW in the world vs a very tough top 15 fighter. Nice test for Melendez.

The list goes on an on with Yarennoka.
There's something about those japanese. They don't plan ahead at all when it comes to NYE. They just stack up every single talent they have on that card and hope for the best. Awesome for us fans!!!
Believe-in-judo81
12/6/07 12:42:20AM
I agree Stickan, it's clearly the top to bottom better card, with comparable and in most cases better matchups and fighters, but UFC 79 is also great, whatever people buy they are getting a show. It's just that one is clearly a great event and worth the money, and the other is a few great/ historically significant fights shellacked on top of an otherwise lackluster free TV card... that you're paying $40 for. I guess what I'm trying to say is they are both great cards, but for different reasons, and I think the pure fight fan would be better suited to spend their money on Yarennoka, but the people who have a lot of interest put into the Chuck/Wandy fight or find the whole epic almost historically important feel going around the 79 card would be just as justified in putting their money down there. I'm excited for and will watch both cards, but there's only one I feel deserves my money, and my other posts have made it painfully clear which card that is.

To each their own I guess, but Pitbull and the others who seem to be writing this card off because of some bias towards Zuffa's product or mistaken belief that they have the only good fighters are missing out.
Kastro
12/6/07 7:06:43PM
Yarennoka is more of a solid card in terms of every fight being a good match-up...

UFC 79 has a lot of hype around Wandy vs Silva, plus we have GSP vs Hughes 3 and Machida vs Sokodjou... but besides that there are not too many more fights im interested in seeing...

Overall though im still picking UFC 79 due to the fact that im Canadian and im supporting GSP 100% and also I cant wait to see Chuck vs Wandy and the debut of Sokodjou!!

Also I dont speak Japanese and wouldn't understand a word they are saying @ Saitama.
KYGUY07
12/7/07 8:35:16AM
had to go with 79, but they both look great.
cowcatcher
12/7/07 11:26:09AM
yarennoka for me, the top 3 fights on 79 are incredible matchups, but the japanese card is awesome from top to bottom(especially if all the rumored fights are true) besides the fact that i want to see what is in essence a pride reunion show. if yarennoka is available stateside ill be watching both though, looks like its going to be one hell of a 3 day span for mma.
fullerene
12/7/07 12:58:24PM
I voted UFC 79. I agree with people taht the Yarenoka card might have better top-to-bottom talent, but a big event should have fights people have been waiting to see. People have talked about Liddell-Silva and Hughes-GSP III as big fights for a while and the UFC is making them happen.

If Fedor can end up fighting Barnet I would give the edge to the Yarenoka card, using the same criteria I already laid out.
loller90278
12/7/07 2:10:52PM
well its clear that the undercard of yarennoka is superior than the undercard for UFC 79 (mark bocek?) but the three main fights for ufc are going to be interesting. ive been waiting a long time for wandy-chuck, and i think soko-machida will steal the show. i think hughes-gsp will be much more competative than people think it will. ALTHOUGH, the main card for yarennoka isn't even announced yet! if they match up fedor, aleks, and other fighters with decent fighters, than it should be a no brainer. but till then, im on the fence.

but of course ill be watching both.
ricoj3323
12/23/07 3:32:52AM
I'm of course gonna choose ufc 79, there is no other way to go for me and I've been waiting for this it seems like 4ever, so i'm choosing ufc on the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hippysmacker
12/23/07 4:26:14AM
UFC 79. While Yarrenoka has some great fighters on it, especially at lighter weights, the matchups aren't as good for me. The top 3 fights at 79 are headline material IMO. Only JZ vs Aoki is main event material IMO. Also, I'm not sure if is a cultural thing, but Pride had a habit of not booking fights till the last minute ( some former Pride executives are involved with booking Yarrenoka) a lot of the time . We still don't know who a lot of the top fighters are facing at Yarrenoka. Fedor/Choi has no zip to me. Now if they got Barnett to fight Fedor... anyway I have to order HDnet becuase I plan on watching both.
J_wieting_9
12/23/07 12:17:16PM
If it has Aoki and jz on it fighting Yarennoka by
hippysmacker
12/23/07 9:04:16PM
Sherdog has comfirmed JZ vs Aoki as being postponed,so there goes the fight I was most looking forward to on Yarennoka
jiujitsufreak74
12/23/07 9:11:12PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Sherdog has comfirmed JZ vs Aoki as being postponed,so there goes the fight I was most looking forward to on Yarennoka

i'm with you on that one...that was about half of the reason i was going to order yarennoka, i still will but it just won't be the same. ufc 79 looks a lot better now imo b/c yarennoka doesn't seem to have a fight that is main event material while ufc 79 has 3.
loller90278
12/24/07 12:12:11AM
i think they're going to get a replacement for aoki, and the jz fight will be at a later time after he heals his ligament
Pages: [1] 2